Gransnet forums

AIBU

Possibly risking offending some, but genuine question.

(215 Posts)
phoenix Sat 29-Jul-17 20:37:01

Why do some people take a perfectly good name, and complicate the spelling of it?
For example, Amy, becomes Aimee? (that spelling always makes me want to say it with an extended "eeeeee" sound blush)

Tin helmet on standby ready for all the Grans with daughters or granddaughters called Aimee.

mcem Sat 29-Jul-17 22:41:33

When Callie arrived in my class I pronounced it as it looked until I was told it was Kay Lee.
An awkward one to fit onto the child's individual tray was JayeSavannah (capital S in the middle always there!)

callgirl1 Sat 29-Jul-17 23:56:00

Deedaa, your post about obtuse teachers took me back to my first day at Grammar school. Our form teacher was filling in forms with all our details, I was asked for my father`s name, in my case, stepfather, and I told her it was Wilson Charles. She very patiently explained that I should have given his Christian name first, before his surname, it took me ages to finally get through to her that his Christian name WAS Wilson!
My little great grandson`s name is Jaylan, a completely new name to me.

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Jul-17 00:03:07

Don't start me on names. Probably any of you teachers or social workers will have encountered some "interesting" examples.
This stupidity of deliberate spelling names in a really fancy way when the flipping name sounds exactly the same.
This is not just the variations on "Katharines" etc.

I did encounter the name Crimea. I never got to find out the gender of said child.
It gave me an idea naming other children after battles. We have a whole range of possibilites.

Here goes use your imaginations, there are may options. I feel a bout of pure silliness coming on. Get going folks
Sebastapol, Borodino, Agincourt, Bosworth, Hastings, Rourkes drift, Jerico, Culloden, Marston Moor.
Time I went to bed.

ninathenana Sun 30-Jul-17 00:18:53

Growing up I never heard or saw mum's name anywhere until about 5 yrs ago. It's only four letters but it now seems to be spelt in at least four other ways to how mum spelt it.

SueDonim Sun 30-Jul-17 01:09:52

Nelliemoser, I know of a young man with the resplendent name of Blenheim, as in the battle and Palace. Better still, he has a baby son called Blenheim Junior! They live in a normal semi-detached house, not the stately pile you might be imagining. grin

On the general topic of odd names, a teacher friend had a Le-ah in her class. The friend assumed it was a different spelling for Leah, but no. It is in fact pronounced LeDASHa. confused

Deeana1 Sun 30-Jul-17 01:29:20

Then there's the opposite scenario where a childs' given name is shortened to make a name that is not their given name.

for example my aunt had to speak to teachers several times about insisting on calling my cousin Kim..''Kimberley''

My sister's name is Jackie, but yet another teacher at school would call her Jacqueline...

...and my sisters' son was christened Ben, simply because she didn't want anyone to be able to shorten it... she never expected teachers to lengthen it and insist on calling him Benjamin!!

Zfactor Sun 30-Jul-17 02:05:53

As an Amie, I'm a little confused. The Aimee variation of the spelling is very common (far more then mine), and really easy to pronounce. Although Amy is the most frequent, this is hardly rare. I think you used a bad example.

paddyann Sun 30-Jul-17 02:32:27

when my son and his then partner were discussing baby names for their daughter he liked traditional names ,his partner wanted something "different" result is my grandaughter has a name that can be found in both scandinavia and Australian natives ..now she almost 8 she HATES her name ,says she's the only person in the world with it and she's going to change it as soon as she's old enough.Strangely when I was talking about her to my daughter and her friend she was surprised and delighted to hear her name as she has a friend with the same name .Her friend has always said shes the "only K... in the world" and my grandaughter says the same thing so it was good to be able to tell her theres at least one other.She still wants to change it though ...lol

Faye Sun 30-Jul-17 05:00:34

My name is boring, many people my age with it and it is spelt the traditional way. I had someone ask me the other day how I spelt my name, she was about my age and had the same name with the same traditional spelling. confused

BBbevan Sun 30-Jul-17 06:34:24

We had a family in school with a girl called SX and a boy KC . We also had a Brooke Hunt. Which you had to be careful to say !!

Elrel Sun 30-Jul-17 09:12:41

Deeanna - my cousin, around 1960, had two boys, Terry and Tony. Teachers (some teachers!) in those days had great trouble restraining themselves from saying and writing Terence and Anthony! On the other hand, more recently, a boy known as Eddie often had his name on exercise books and reports written by his teacher as Edward. He's actually Edmund.
One school had a TA named Sea4th. In the '60s a small Giovanni was told his name was too difficult and he'd be John in school. So many children's names are still mangled. BashaRAT is pronounced BashAHrut, Ajmir is AshMIR not ADGEmir. Even Reception Class pupils are likely to tell an adult how to say their names correctly, all the adult has to do is listen.
One headteacher couldn't seem to grasp that Nanci was spelling her own name correctly. Nanci was a teacher from Wales!!

Chewbacca Sun 30-Jul-17 09:14:28

BBbevan grin

Elrel Sun 30-Jul-17 09:15:18

Sorry, Deeana! Not sure whether that was my assumption or spellcheck!

Antonia Sun 30-Jul-17 09:18:34

When I taught, I used to be irritated by a girl whose mother couldn't spell Deborah. (To be fair, the mother probably couldn't read either). The child was called Debra.

Elrel Sun 30-Jul-17 09:18:44

Ana - Cicely was referring to Sicily!

Sheilasue Sun 30-Jul-17 09:36:04

My gd had a girl in her class with the name Jaydeen think that's how you spell it.
Another friend from primary was Jordon. Both girls.

grandMattie Sun 30-Jul-17 09:42:26

My cousin in NZ is Marc, the French version after his grandfather. The Kiwi teachers patronisingly told my aunt that that was OK as he is dyslexic! She was furious.
I used to loathe my name but now like it as it is fairly different to anyone's. Not many Matties around...
My DCs names are very ordinary and easy to spell except No.3 who is dyslexic has a PH in his name. He found it hard to spell his name to start with.
Once taught a "MelOnie", an Odin, a Venus and various Jaymee etc. These days, the parents seem to choose the most outlandish names for their children so that they stand out. Children don't like standing out! smile

JaneD3 Sun 30-Jul-17 09:53:17

Just had a Lochlann and a Lorcan in my class but nothing beats Sh'v'n. grin

mostlyharmless Sun 30-Jul-17 09:53:50

I didn't really like my eldest dgs's very unusual name at first, but now after three other gc with non-traditional names, I've come to appreciate unusual names giving the children an identity.

As a teacher in the past I once had a new class with four boys called variations of Tom. Tom, Thomas, Thomas and Thom. On the second morning of term one boy (Thom) brought in a lengthy letter of complaint from his mother because I had apparently called him Thomas by mistake once!

LadyGracie Sun 30-Jul-17 10:04:52

I was named after Janis Paige, an actress my DD liked hmm.

meandashy Sun 30-Jul-17 10:10:07

I know of a boy named Hill. Unsure if that's relative to where he was conceived?? confused
My dd has an Irish spelt name & hates it. People don't know how to pronounce it & even when they've been corrected they can choose to carry on mispronounced it.
I chose it because of its meaning & the Irish family connection.
She chose a traditional name for dgd with a slightly different spelling! I did point out the possibility of people spelling it incorrectly but hey ho ?

keriku Sun 30-Jul-17 10:17:32

My niece is called Channen, pronounced Shannon! My brother said it was to ensure it was always spelled correctly....

RetiredRGN Sun 30-Jul-17 10:18:18

Hi a funny slightly different example when I was nursing years ago you could tell the younger elderly were emerging as patients with more modern names to find they were in fact from a while ago like Clare Helen etc I once nursed a lady called Patience It was fun on the phone booking her appts like X rays etc as when they said what is the patient's name I would say, Patience Hedley ..and whats her first name? err Patience yes but what is her proper name? !!!

My daughter is Clare but everyone wants to put an I in it but she has I's and e's in her middle name and surname so I missed the one out of Clare and no one shortens it and so I thought with my son Simon but his friends call him Si! His twins are Isaac and Amelie and one of my friends was calling Isaac Zac all the time so had to remind her he wasn't a Zac!

W11girl Sun 30-Jul-17 10:18:29

The worst "atrocity" I have come across is a friend of mine's grandaughter...her name is Chevaun...it should have been Siobhan...they couldn't spell it but liked the sound of it!

sluttygran Sun 30-Jul-17 10:19:43

I sometimes meet unfortunate girls named 'Candida'. It's a pretty name, but I can't help thinking of thrush infections of the nether regions!
( Candida Albicans is the organism causing thrush for those of a non-medical leaning!)