Gransnet forums

AIBU

Possibly risking offending some, but genuine question.

(215 Posts)
phoenix Sat 29-Jul-17 20:37:01

Why do some people take a perfectly good name, and complicate the spelling of it?
For example, Amy, becomes Aimee? (that spelling always makes me want to say it with an extended "eeeeee" sound blush)

Tin helmet on standby ready for all the Grans with daughters or granddaughters called Aimee.

Imperfect27 Thu 03-Aug-17 11:29:42

Hmm ...haven't had any chocolately ... thanks or the reminder Jalima grin

AlieOxon Thu 03-Aug-17 13:30:56

I have finished the packet of chocolately biscuits lately.... have not bought any more lately....!

Penstemmon Thu 03-Aug-17 22:14:24

We had a lovely cat caled Stanley, now i have a lovely grandson with the same name confused

Witzend Fri 04-Aug-17 10:42:45

I do sometimes look at the baby names thread on mumsnet and cringe at what some parents are planning to saddle their poor little baby with. Though there are often replies saying, please, for heaven's sake, don't....
Certain names do have certain connotations, though some will deny it with their last breath. I have heard more than once of reception teachers' hearts sinking when they see certain names on their new class list, since they know from experience what they are likely to expect...

Having said that, a relative who is anything but ill educated has just given a baby a very nice, traditional name, with a very alternative spelling. And we all thought immediately how that child is going to have to spell it out for the rest of its life.

Iam64 Fri 04-Aug-17 14:41:13

When I was in my teens and early twenties, I had friends and relations who called their babies Sunshine, Daisy, Daffodil, Moonbeam and other delights. Daisy is making a comeback, along with lots of other flower names, Iris being amongst my favourites.

ninathenana Fri 04-Aug-17 16:50:37

It's not just given names that often have to be spelt. I grew up having to spell my surname to most people as it was either missheard or misspelt. I hoped when I married it would be a Mr. Smith or Brown, no luck I'm still spelling my married surname 42 yrs later !

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:03:51

I always have to spell ours too.
And my maiden name if required.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:04:57

I like Daisy in particular.

However, for some reason unknown, I always expect a Daisy to be ditzy! Although she may not be.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:06:16

Those names sound quite 'hippy Iam64.
Saffron anyone? smile

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Aug-17 20:11:59

We'd decided to call DD1 Daisy, until I mentioned it at work and it caused great hilarity. I must admit it doesn't go too well with our surname. When I told DD this she said she'd have loved to be called Daisy. Apparently our second choice makes her sound like a boring old maid., whereas you'd always want Daisy at the party. grin

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:20:32

Ditzy or not, I'm sure Daisy is great fun!!

I do know at least two Daisies smile and they are both very sweet and lovely.

Phoebes Tue 08-Aug-17 15:48:03

I really enjoyed this thread! When our daughter was born, my husband wanted to call her Cleopatra. (He is Greek) I managed to talk him out of it and she has a nice normal easy to spell name to go with our Greek surname, which nobody seems to be able to cope with. When she was about 18 months old, I heard her talking to herself and spelling her surname correctly as she had heard us spelling it so often on the phone! I was named after my two grandmothers and I was very fed-up all through my childhood, as I was the only one in my school with my Christian name and there was only one other girl with my middle name and she hated it too. They were both very old-fashioned names at the time, but now, they are totally in fashion and I feel very trendy!

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Aug-17 16:39:42

If one of them is Phoebe, Phoebes, I think it's a lovely name!

Iam64 Tue 08-Aug-17 19:18:43

Yes, Jalima, hippy days smile