Gransnet forums

AIBU

Possibly risking offending some, but genuine question.

(215 Posts)
phoenix Sat 29-Jul-17 20:37:01

Why do some people take a perfectly good name, and complicate the spelling of it?
For example, Amy, becomes Aimee? (that spelling always makes me want to say it with an extended "eeeeee" sound blush)

Tin helmet on standby ready for all the Grans with daughters or granddaughters called Aimee.

maddy629 Mon 31-Jul-17 06:40:38

All I can say is if that's all you've got to worry about you are b....y lucky, Phoenix

kittylester Mon 31-Jul-17 07:23:13

I know strange spellings of names isn't all phoenix (or any of us probably) has to worry about but threads like this are often a little light relief and help the world go round.

If you have worries that you would like to tell us about maddy please start a thread.

kittylester Mon 31-Jul-17 07:26:08

I hated my name when I was young as it is so unusual but I think I've grown into it.grin

Imperfect27 Mon 31-Jul-17 07:27:07

Thanks for this thread Phoenix. We have been on quite a meander, but it has been interesting and entertaining - and at times a bit boggling! Our name choices (and what we sometimes feel burdened with) can stir up such a lot of strong feelings in us. Good fun on a lazy Sunday.

goose1964 Mon 31-Jul-17 10:33:54

there is definitely a trend in what is known as "yooneek" spellings, not accepted alternatives. such as Jaxon instead of Jackson, Lillee instead of Lily etc . sometimes these are accepted spellings in other languages but that's coincidence not intent

JackyB Mon 31-Jul-17 11:34:57

I was christened Jacqueline but have always been Jacky. These days, people tend to shorten it "Jacqui" and other versions with the "q" in. Actually, they're more correct than the version with "k" in!

We gave two of our sons middle names which were to be used as their everyday first name. They curse us for it!

JackyB Mon 31-Jul-17 11:37:15

Oh, and I have probably mentioned before, there are strict rules about what names you are allowed to give your children here in Germany, so this thread would never take place here. The current trend is for OT names - which for obvious reasons haven't been around for a few generations.

Aslemma Mon 31-Jul-17 12:02:48

My eldest grandson is called Bill and I admit I would have prefered him to be William, though obviously shortened to Bill. I have a young relative who has called her son Elwood. Many years ago I worked with someone called Baron - he always said it was useful when trying to book restaurant tables, as he always booked in the name of Baron C rather than Mr C. ?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 31-Jul-17 14:01:40

On the general topic of odd names, a teacher friend had a Le-ah in her class. The friend assumed it was a different spelling for Leah, but no. It is in fact pronounced LeDASHa. Blimey

Cubagran Mon 31-Jul-17 15:31:02

When I was teaching I came across a little girl called China Blue.

Cubagran Mon 31-Jul-17 15:43:58

And I also came across TJ! I used to dread seeing the name Aaron on the register as I never knew how to pronounce it. Some children were called Arron (with a short A), and some were Airon with a long A. I invariably plumped for the wrong one!

Cubagran Mon 31-Jul-17 15:46:55

And Naomi was always tricky - sometimes pronounced NaOmi with the emphasis on the O - and sometimes NAYomi ( emphasis on the A).

RosieLeah Mon 31-Jul-17 18:24:36

I don't like names to be shortened. Why give a child one name and call it by something different? I named my daughter Jacqueline, but everyone called her Jackie, which I think gives quite a different image.

Magrithea Mon 31-Jul-17 19:12:16

Jalima1108 - the names you mention (Niamh, Siobhan etc.) are spelt and pronounced differently being of Irish origin so the Aussies are blameless on that count! grin

NannyBadcrumble1 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:36:50

A friend of mine named her daughter Demii-lee... I don't think she was too impressed when I accidently called the child Dairy-lea.

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:38:30

I know that Magrithea grin

Lots of names are 'Australianised' (including surnames!)

Jalima1108 Mon 31-Jul-17 19:41:06

All I can say is if that's all you've got to worry about you are b....y lucky, Phoenix

Rather presumptuous - we only know what worries people have from what they post on here maddy

I know strange spellings of names isn't all phoenix (or any of us probably) has to worry about but threads like this are often a little light relief and help the world go round.
Quite right kitty

Diddy1 Mon 31-Jul-17 21:21:03

My friends Daughters name is really Angelica no she isnt an Angel,she changed her name legally to LEE!! Here in Sweden apparantly it is all the go to change your name, Heaven knows what they will come up with now!

norose4 Mon 31-Jul-17 21:49:59

My initials are :- Sow, yes you can imagine!

sarn26 Mon 31-Jul-17 21:53:18

Some of these comments have made me chuckle. I realise I'm probably repeating something already said (haven't had time to read every comment!) but as a teacher, one of the highlights of the year is viewing one's new class list. I worked in an area where it was almost abligatory to spell names differently. Had many Erykahs, Aimee/Aimies, Camrons, Cortney/Cortnee and (this caused great hilarity) a Bow-Belle!
Hyphens seem to be fashionable too (Indie-Rose, Indee-Mae, Indey-Mai). Favourite has to be Daisy-Peach, who was an absolutely delightful girl, a real character and complete tomboy - not quite what 'Mummy' had predicted with the name choice I suspect !

Imperfect27 Mon 31-Jul-17 22:16:34

Sarn grin

The one that stays with me - for its sad irony - is the little girl named 'Serene' - born into a very chaotic and needy family. I often wonder how she turned out in adult life - can't get the high pitched mother's call of
'Sir - reeeeeene!' out of my head because of this thread!

Elrel Tue 01-Aug-17 01:21:43

I met a doctor's daughter named Retina. I knew a Marylyn which was intentional and an accidental Marylin whose father made a mistake when registering her.
I fell foul of autocorrect on page 2 about my Welsh colleague who is actually not Nancy or Nanci but Nansi.

Elrel Tue 01-Aug-17 01:34:37

Belle may be joining May/Mae as the hyphenated second part of some recent names.
I taught a reception class for a whole morning on supply and only when I asked a TA at lunch time whether Xavier was pronounced 'Zavier' or 'Havier' as I'd heard the children saying both did I discover that the class had one of each, from different cultures.
At another school a new Chinese pupil's name was on my list as Xexey - I looked calmly at his mother and asked how I should pronounce her son's name.She looked back and equally calmly said 'In England he is Gary', potential problem solved!
.'

yearofthetiger Tue 01-Aug-17 07:01:48

Huw is the Welsh spelling of Hugh

Leticia Tue 01-Aug-17 07:07:51

I don't know why parents do it- so unfair to give a person a whole lifetime of spelling their name.
It also makes people wonder if the parents were just poor at spelling!