Gransnet forums

AIBU

To ask fior a replacement 7 weeks later?

(17 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:43:52

Bought new, fairly expensive (£44.99 - reduced from £85.99)summer walking sandals from Mountain Warehouse on June 19th and haven't had a lot of wear out of them - tread still practically perfect. However, a heel strap clip has broken which means the back won't do up on one. The last pair I bought (different make, but similar price) lasted me for 4 years.
DH says I should take them back and ask for a replacement - I am worried they will refuse because it is over a month since I bought them so, to my mind, beyond any consumer rights. However, surprised and saddened by poor quality given the price.
AIBU to ask for a replacement?

Alima Wed 02-Aug-17 09:50:30

No you are not. Whatever you buy has to be fit for purpose. They can tell from the soles that you haven't trekked the Great Wall of China in them.

Eglantine19 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:02:15

They can only say no. Then you can have the fight! Obviously not fit for purpose like Alima says.

MiniMouse Wed 02-Aug-17 10:11:57

You could email their Customer Services first, then if you go to the shop, their reply (if favourable!) will make it easier to get a refund or replacement. I've done it that way a few times because sometimes the shop managers do not have sufficient authorisation to do a refund or exchange/replacement. Good luck!

Greyduster Wed 02-Aug-17 10:36:06

I would certainly think that you need to take them back. Whether they are a reputable brand or their own brand their reputation will be built upon the stuff they sell being reliable. They are not fit for purpose if they failed after not quite two months. I buy good name walking boots and shoes, but I got a scabby pair of walking sandals from Aldi that I've been wearing on and off for three years (don't wear sandals much) and they haven't fallen apart yet! As MiniMouse says, contact customer services first.

Miep1 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:38:55

Take them back!

Luckygirl Wed 02-Aug-17 10:39:48

Take them back - they are not of merchantable quality if they break after a few wearings.

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:45:54

Thanks all - I have emailed. I should hear within 24 hours and now feel justified in making a fuss if they say 'no' to a replacement / refund. I would rather have a refund, but won't push my luck too far smile.

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:48:31

If you change your mind about them most firms allow you take them back within a certain period of time - provided you haven't worn them outside.

However, a broken strap means they are not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality and you are protected by the Consumer Rights Act, so take them back. They should replace them or refund in full.

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:51:46

Tnat's good to know Jalima, thank you.

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Aug-17 18:04:13

Sale of goods stuff. They should be expected to last a reasonable time as they are shoes described as being used for walking in.
Don't be apologetic that is far too short a time. I think it will be easier to get a refund than you think.

Imperfect27 Tue 29-Aug-17 19:40:15

Up-date ... eventually given the refund in the form of a credit note. Suited me well - bought a different pair of shoes in a sale, a fleece and still have £20 left smile. Thnaks for all the encouragement!

Gemmag Mon 04-Sep-17 11:10:59

Take them back and ask for a full refund or a replacement. The strap should not have broken, you are intitled to your money back as the sandals were obviously faulty. I certainly would take them back.

Gemmag Mon 04-Sep-17 11:12:42

Oops, didn't see your last post but glad it was resolved and you're happy?

trisher Mon 04-Sep-17 11:21:15

Oh well done. Always take things back if they break before a decent time and we expect more than 7 weeks from a pair of sandals surely.

Anya Mon 04-Sep-17 11:28:23

You didn't have to take a credit note if you still have the receipt, but it suited you so a good result.

Imperfect27 Mon 04-Sep-17 18:55:02

Anya, I didn't have the receipt, but glad enough - and they have a sale on at the moment so I have picked up trainers and a fleece and still have £20 left - not bad going really. smile

Thanks all.