Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to cover their mouths when they yawn?

(54 Posts)
phoenix Wed 09-Aug-17 21:10:04

I appreciate that yawning, unlike coughing or sneezing, is unlikely to spread any germs.

But it looks bloody awful!

I'm often reminded of a hippopotamus, not quite sure why, but that wide open mouth, with all teeth and throat on display...........

NoddingGanGan Wed 16-Aug-17 13:43:39

I must admit that I've caught myself doing exactly that just recently and been mortified. Living alone, I don't feel the need when yawning at home as others have pointed out but it's a slippery slope so I'm reverting to behaving as though there were someone with me all the time.
No, no to putting a hand to mouth when coughing or sneezing. Like the Americans, into the elbow. You don't know who's hand you may have to shake or which door handle you may have to use before you get a chance to wash!
I hate seeing feet on seats and am always admonishing my DD for sitting with her feet on the kneeler in church. They're for knees not outdoor shoes!
Incidentally, someone told me recently that yawning is neither a sign of tiredness or boredom, it's a sign of too little oxygen in the brain and that is why it's so catching. Apparently, your brain sees it as a message that there's a shortage of oxygen so makes you yawn to pull more in.
Not sure of the truth in that mind you, anyone else?

phoenix Fri 11-Aug-17 21:46:54

Oh heaven's, of course the crossing of the legs when coughing or sneezing!blush

But I have never had any (ahem) problem with (ahem) "leakage/emissions" type problems whilst yawning confused

Jeannie59 Fri 11-Aug-17 21:39:05

Oh and seeing someone with a cigarette hanging out their mouths. Again especially a woman!!!' So un feminine

Jeannie59 Fri 11-Aug-17 21:37:35

Women chewing gum is my pet hate, my manager does it and speaks to me at the same time, I hate it, but I can't tell her

downtoearth Fri 11-Aug-17 19:36:01

Not only do I cover my mouth when coughing sneezing ....but I cross my ankles too....it would be rude to wee on the floorgrin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Aug-17 18:19:38

If I burp even when alone I automatically say sorry which is ridiculous.
Our strict headmistress insisted that eating in the street was unladylike and all these years later I still can't do it.
As for sneezing, whenever I feel a sneeze coming on I try to suppress it as it scares puss, the screwed up face and tensed up muscles forewarn him anyway and he jumps out of the way in case I explode!

TriciaF Fri 11-Aug-17 18:13:16

sluttygran grin Very clever!

sluttygran Fri 11-Aug-17 17:16:23

There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who boarded a 'bus at West Ealing
A sign on the door
Said 'Don't spit on the floor!'
So he stood up and spat on the ceiling.
grin

BBbevan Fri 11-Aug-17 16:10:13

I also dislike people constantly chewing gum. You can see it going round and round when they are speaking and the jaw motion is very unattractive

Marnie Fri 11-Aug-17 15:41:28

Same as you Gillybob. No one to see. Yawn away as much as I like

TriciaF Fri 11-Aug-17 14:02:04

It doesn't bother me much, really. But I don't like spitting. We used to call it cockling.
It was banned at some time when there was a lot of TB about.
I remember a song from my school days:
"Torreador don't spit upon the floor.
Use the spitoon, that's what it's for."

HootyMcOwlface Fri 11-Aug-17 13:16:45

Haha phoenix your post made me laugh (and yawn!) I shall always think of hippos now when I see someone yawning.

I hate people spitting in the street too, disgusting habit. And I can't stand seeing people chew gum, especially if they are doing it with their mouth open! Really grates on my nerves, they look like cows chewing the cud - moooo!

pamdixon Fri 11-Aug-17 13:09:13

I simply hate people chewing noisily (probably with their mouths open too........!) can't bear to look or hear what's going on!! GC's do it all the time..whoops did I really say that......

Rosina Fri 11-Aug-17 12:56:55

I did read that spitting in the street (ugh ugh ugh) is cultural as some people have been brought up to think that a used handkerchief/tissue kept in the pocket and carried around is not hygienic and that the rain will wash away the result of their habit. I now really wish I hadn't started thinking about all this; I'm not a delicate little flower who can't cope with anything but just today I am not doing too well with my own comments. I'm going outside for some fresh air and to sniff the roses.

Grangegran1 Fri 11-Aug-17 11:34:15

I really really can't stand open mouthed yawning. Although there is no love lost with my father I am grateful he instilled good manners in me. I find it infuriating when sitting near someone who can't / won't use their knife and fork properly. But hey live and let live!

bikergran Fri 11-Aug-17 11:25:34

starbox I work on a checkout and I get people sneezing into their hands then rummaging for their money with same hand!! and handing it to me...yikes!!!!!!!! ( I cant really set off running from my checkout) but I have been know to about turn if someone sneezes down and isle when shopping and going as far away as poss...if you have ever watched a video about sneeze droplets I think you will see why! and don't get me started on the bus! (no escape there).

GrandmasueUK Fri 11-Aug-17 11:22:09

I watched the first episode of Luther last night. He yawned in front of a suspect and she didn't yawn, showing she was a psychopath grin. Ooh grandtante. Did you go to my school? I can't comb my hair in public and I certainly can't eat anything in the street. I remember being given a piece of fruit at school and told not to eat it before we got home. We were asked the next day in school assembly if anyone had. I confessed to eating mine in the back yard, but I leaned against the gate so no-one could see me through the hole to lift the latch. I must have been about 7!

Nanny27 Fri 11-Aug-17 11:09:41

Has anyone else noticed that young women and teenage girls feel the need to laugh so loudly with mouths wide open when out in public? Gets on my nerves in restaurants. Also can't take a photo without a wide open mouth. Yuk!

Margs Fri 11-Aug-17 11:02:01

Far, far worse just HAS to be spitting in the street. Yuk!

So many men (any age) have no qualms about doing it - but why?

They appear to treat it like a Badge of Honour (or "hey, look at me - this means I'm A Real Macho Man!")

I'd bring back public hanging for this exceptionally disgusting practice.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 11-Aug-17 10:46:39

The mother superior probably did say face. I was taught that it was impolite to scratch oneself anywhere at all in public and that one should never comb ones hair or touch up make up anywhere except in the bathroom.

These days people of both sexes comb hair even in restaurants and women frequently whip out a powder compact or lipstick and "do their face" in public. I still find this ill-mannered especially at the table.

I suppose we are just growing old. After all my grandmothers felt that women's and girls' knees should be kept covered in public!

W11girl Fri 11-Aug-17 10:46:06

I find people who sneeze and cough without using a hanky particularly horryfying particularly in a confined space like an aeroplane...I always cover my own face when someone does this. They still don't take the hint! Oh and people who put their feet on seats on public transport!!

RAF Fri 11-Aug-17 10:40:06

My American cousin warned me I would be thought dreadfully rude if I didn't cough or sneeze into my elbow, so there is no chance of transferring germs during handshakes etc. But it is SO hard to do when you have been conditioned to cover up with a hand, it's instinctive!!

angie95 Fri 11-Aug-17 10:39:40

I am always amazed at how many people never put a hand over their mouth, when yawning, , it is not hard to do!!

Fflaurie Fri 11-Aug-17 10:31:05

What about those who spit in the street, awful, makes me feel really sick.

adaunas Fri 11-Aug-17 10:29:53

Yawning, sneezing and coughing all need a hand to mouth movement. Rosina your comment nearly made me heave. I teach children to put the back of their hands over their mouths when sneezing and coughing so it isn't transferred to pencils etc. although our classrooms are equipped with tissues nowadays and most children choose to use them. The shiny green streaks on their sleeves make me feel ill too.