Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people to cover their mouths when they yawn?

(53 Posts)
phoenix Wed 09-Aug-17 21:10:04

I appreciate that yawning, unlike coughing or sneezing, is unlikely to spread any germs.

But it looks bloody awful!

I'm often reminded of a hippopotamus, not quite sure why, but that wide open mouth, with all teeth and throat on display...........

Indinana Wed 09-Aug-17 21:15:56

With you all the way here phoenix. Another pet hate is people eating with their mouth open - and talking! Yuk, I really don't want to see their half-chewed food thank you!

BBbevan Thu 10-Aug-17 15:19:53

Where are the manners we were taught gone? Things like covering your mouth, not talking whilst eating are now disregarded. My two DGDs aged 9 and 12 are often allowed to eat with their fingers, leave the table on a whim and have no idea what to do with a napkin. My DS was taught all these things so why have they not been passed on? Manners make life much more pleasant

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 15:24:41

I sometimes yawn with my mouth open "a la hippo"

But considering I spend almost all day every day on my own there's no-one to see or get upset about it.

Plus acute tiredness and boredom overcomes manners.

Ana Thu 10-Aug-17 15:28:51

It's just a relex action for me - my hand moves automatically towards my mouth at the hint of a yawn! It must have been really drummed into me!

And yes, I agree, it looks horrible and just like a hippo.

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 15:30:58

I was dragged up.

maryeliza54 Thu 10-Aug-17 16:04:32

On my regular train commute I frequently have the misfortune to sit opposite uncovering the mouth yawners - I have an almost irresistible urge to say 'put your hand over your mouth'. On the whole, they are young women. Ana
I agree - I think I just could not yawn without covering my mouth

illtellhim Thu 10-Aug-17 16:23:53

I'm with you all the way, another pet hate I've got is people. smile

minimo Thu 10-Aug-17 16:25:18

Worse when they cough without putting their hands over their mouths. yuck!

gillybob Thu 10-Aug-17 16:26:38

That's just disgusting minimo

Wheniwasyourage Thu 10-Aug-17 18:50:03

Yes, I agree that it's horrible to watch. I also hate the constant sniffing from (usually, but not always) young men. I keep wanting to say "Haven't you got a hankie?

JackyB Thu 10-Aug-17 21:01:30

Am I the only one who had to yawn when reading this thread?

(I did put my hand over my mouth, although there's no one else here)

And on a sort of nother tack. I even feel a bit odd about scratching my face or my head, because Mother Superior at the convent I went to at my most impressionable age, said it was bad manners to touch your head in public. I could never figure out if she meant in public in general, or just in church, and it's a silly rule anyway, but I still feel a bit guilty.

mcem Thu 10-Aug-17 21:25:02

'On a sort of nother track' ?
Is that an Americanism? Haven't seen it before.

Jomarie Thu 10-Aug-17 21:43:54

same letters - different order !!

phoenix Thu 10-Aug-17 21:50:43

JackyB so sorry if you found this thread made you yawn, was it because you found it boring?
(I'm asking because it is not good to make assumptions)

rosesarered Thu 10-Aug-17 22:11:33

I have just yawned ( not covering mouth.....only me here) just reading the word yawn makes me yawn, it's catching!
It is horrible to see it though, but not as bad as others coughing or talking with full mouths.
Jacky are you sure that Mother Superior said head, and not crotch? grin

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Aug-17 09:49:48

I always remember Cherie Blair's gaping yawn, a photo of which was in all the papers ... it looked terrible, I thought.

leeds22 Fri 11-Aug-17 09:51:58

Mother superiors have a lot to answer for......

Veda Fri 11-Aug-17 10:04:10

Jacky I hope you had a better time at you Conven school. Mine was a nightmare. I call it a borstal.

granny2one Fri 11-Aug-17 10:08:31

Here's a good yawn!

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Aug-17 10:12:16

People who sneeze loudly through their mouths . Yuk

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Aug-17 10:13:50

Me too Roses. Say read yawn and I do.

gillybob Fri 11-Aug-17 10:14:57

It's hard not to isn't it?

gillybob Fri 11-Aug-17 10:15:16

Baby yawns are so cute .

starbox Fri 11-Aug-17 10:19:04

I really hate young women who have their tongues hanging out in photos. Do they think they look cool or fun? Half-baked is more like it! Re: sneezing - when I worked in retail, I had people without number who would sneeze in my face! Yeeugh - would ostentatiously take a step back! Surely you feel a sneeze coming on & can turn away or pinch your nose?!