Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect him to throw it away

(46 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 27-Aug-17 09:10:38

S only eats one type of cereal. I've just asked why he's not eating breakfast. "I don't have any cereal" when I made my list Friday I noted two boxes in the cupboard so didn't buy more. When I commented to S he told me they were empty, the thing is he won't eat the last half portion because of the crumbs at the bottom of the packet but he knows I will. So instead of chucking them he'd left them for me but hadn't thought to write cereal on the shopping list blackboard which just happens to hang right next to the cupboard where the cereal is or even mention it to me angry
Do you have similar problems in your house ?

IngeJones Mon 28-Aug-17 10:43:34

For the person who mentioned someone getting bored with jams, we do too. So now I buy it in individual portions from Ebay. Obviously it costs more but I hate a) waste or b) forcing myself to eat something I don't want rather than waste it

MinniesMum Mon 28-Aug-17 10:59:19

In this house the crumbs at the bottom of the packet go on the bird table!

tonibolt Mon 28-Aug-17 11:05:39

My husband recently had to take over the cooking while I was recovering from surgery. I got back into the kitchen to a fridge full of little bits of unusable leftovers, (neatly clingfilmed) and a whole load of virtually empty jars and packets. He hates throwing food away. So much so, if I do have a bit of salad or veg past it's best I get rid of it when he's out! He won't eat it mind you..... He won't tell me if something has run out either, just puts the empty packet away.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 28-Aug-17 12:09:35

Very clear that so many were not around when food was rationed. Porridge ,porridge and more porridge What would I have given for these ' crumbs' observed today as not fit for consumption.

grandMattie Mon 28-Aug-17 12:46:16

Solved the empty packet syndrome very neatly. Especially if I don't eat/drink it, I don't buy the item that is finished unless it is on the shopping list. We shop once a week, so he doesn't have any for that time... Works well.
I usually hoover up the dinner left overs for lunch, so that problem is also mostly solved.

missdeke Mon 28-Aug-17 13:21:13

I love the crumbs at the bottom, when I had 4 kids at home I used to get all the leftovers, now I live alone and have to wait ages for a box to finish.... sad

Jaycee5 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:13:41

I do that too Egalatine. Does anyone like the crumbs at the bottom of cereal?

susiegee Mon 28-Aug-17 15:00:14

Any left over cereals are put to good use in this house it either gets made in to cake ie cornflakes dried fruit and chocolate or it ends up on the bird table where every crumb gets eaten.

cc Mon 28-Aug-17 15:08:14

J52 we have a fridge full of odds and ends too, mainly almost empty jam, chutney and marmalade. Also olives, the ends of mint sauce and horseradish. They build up because he "couldn't find the pot in the fridge". I make proper gravy and always keep what is left, though since I only have 2 gravy boats they don't sit there for long.

Every summer we have European teachers staying with us when they bring their students to learn English in our city. They all like different cereals so we end up with the remains of each, few of which we eat ourselves. And can they put the plastic clips on the inside packages? No they can not. Fortunately we have realised that almost everybody in the world seems to eat Cheerios, so we keep a smaller selection now. I would buy variety packs but there are always a couple that nobody at all likes, and since they are relatively expensive that seems a waste.

kittylester I too am mildly neurotic about having a larder with stocks of everything and my DH is discouraged from going in there, or we would end up with even more half eaten food in the fridge. I don't really know why I do it, I can't remember any shortages since the 70's and in the event of nuclear war we won't be here to use it!

inishowen Mon 28-Aug-17 15:32:04

DH was about to throw out a nearly finished tomato sauce bottle. I opened the new one and put the old one on top to drain into it. I do this with shampoo, mayo, hand wash. In fact anything! I can't bear waste, but I must admit, I hate the crumbs at the bottom on of a cereal pack.

Coconut Mon 28-Aug-17 17:41:24

I asked my ex if he could just explain something to me. I asked him why he continuously put empty milk cartons back in the fridge, yet after making a sandwich he always left the butter, minus the lid on the work surface. His response: you don't know what to go on about next !! He would then get stroppy when there was no milk, as I wouldn't replace it as I presumed the carton back in the fridge wasn't empty ?!$€¥#??

Nelliemoser Mon 28-Aug-17 18:08:59

Mine always leaves scrapings of food stuffs in jars never enough to be of any use. Why does he not just scrape it clean and be done with it. I clear out the crumbs of the "malted wheaties " stick them in a cup and eat them.

What I had last week was OH buying up several short dated bread items before he went away for four days and putting them in my already full freezer.

I had to deliver a talk about checking the freezer for space and asking the main cook, me! before he does it again.

I will probably getting more fruit next week which is far more useful than short dated bread. I did chuck out several bread rolls. The birds had seen them off before he came back.

rockgran Mon 28-Aug-17 18:13:29

I love the cereal crumbs and I get great satisfaction from emptying a container. If I can make a meal that empties several containers at a time I really enjoy it! Sad but cheap to run - that's me!

Daisyboots Mon 28-Aug-17 20:33:53

No problems with cereal crumbs here but when unpacking the shopping today I saw he had bought 3 dozen eggs and we go away in 2 weeks. So I said it looked like we will be having some eggy meals in the next couple of weeks. The worst thing he won't finish up is toothpaste before starting on a new one. By the time I have finished the old one he is half way through the new one. Trying the bulldog clip tip to see if that keeps him using the tube a bit longer.

Coco51 Mon 28-Aug-17 23:27:37

Ha.. reminds me of DS teenage trick drinking all the milk and putting the empty bottle back in the fridge!

Menopaws Mon 28-Aug-17 23:33:57

Or eating the last cold sausage and leaving plate in the fridge

FarNorth Tue 29-Aug-17 02:33:00

Sorry, nina, I misread.
Have you tried explaining how to ensure that you buy a new box of cereal?
Maybe by throwing out the box, but not the bag of crumbs if he doesn't like to do that.

Serkeen Tue 29-Aug-17 10:27:12

Yes!! ninanthenana What annoys me is that you then feel responsible that he has not had no breakfast, they make you feel guilty BUT you have done nothing wrong Men! Arghh

Can't live with them and certainly Can live without them Joke smile

Norah Wed 30-Aug-17 16:05:46

I shall try crumbs as slug pellets. Thank you for that.

CherryHatrick Sun 03-Sep-17 14:28:51

ninathenana why not pour the two half packets into one? The crumbs will filter down to the bottom and he can eat the top section. Repeat ad infinitum until the packet is full of crumbs and no room for rice crispies. smile At that point send me the bag of crumbs because that's the best thing about rice crispies...