Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect my L.A to have recorded messages with proper diction?

(76 Posts)
phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 21:33:50

Evening all.

I had to phone my District Council regarding their complete inefficiency seeming oversight on collecting my recycling. The fact that I had emailed them 2 days ago and had received no response didn't help my mood.

Anyway, I digress. I dialled the number, got the usual " options" thing:

For buildin' control, or plannin' applications, press 2

For queries on refuse collection or recyclin' press 3

For parkin' permits, press any button you like, because no one is ever in that department.

Yes, I know that in the grand scheme of things it is a minor thing, but I find it very irritatin' grin

Hm999 Mon 11-Sep-17 12:14:19

Libry and Febuary aaargghhh

phoenix Sat 09-Sep-17 11:08:48

Thank you Riverwalk couldn't have put it better myself!

Riverwalk Sat 09-Sep-17 08:19:17

maddy629 if someone starts a thread about one of life's little niggles why would that indicate that that all she's got to worry about?

Your comment to phoenix is very sneering.

A quick search shows that in May you were fretting about what swimwear to wear - obviously there were no world crises going on to occupy you that day. Those who replied, including me I see, were helpful and joined in the chat - would you have liked someone asking if that's all you got to worry about?

There is so much sadness and mayhem in the world - we all know but that doesn't mean we can't start light-hearted threads.

jenpax Sat 09-Sep-17 07:07:22

Deedaa the school may be the responsibility of the county council (unless it's an academy or private?) you should contact them too.If it's causing damage to your property try issuing a letter before action threatening to make a claim for damages for any repairs you have had to make (new fencing etc) and a claim for nuisance

maddy629 Sat 09-Sep-17 06:49:42

phoenix if that's all you have to worry about you are really lucky. I bet the poor people caught up in these dreadful hurricanes and Tsunami's wish they could phone a District Council for help.

annsixty Sat 09-Sep-17 04:31:30

You might also deduce by the timing of this recent post that I have more going on in my life to worry about, than things that to me are, in your words "niggles"

annsixty Sat 09-Sep-17 04:26:11

Lilyflower I do not sneer, sneering is not in my nature.
I merely pointed out that small irritations sometimes are trivial in the context of what is currently going on in the world. If you had read the thread you would have seen that I apologised to the OP for my hasty and ill judged post.

Shizam Fri 08-Sep-17 23:35:37

As my council no longer answer with a real human being, I would like a lovely accent, Irish, Welsh??, to cheer me through my rage, or perhaps a famous voice. Bill Nighy, Judy Dench??
Would be better an actual person though....!

Grandmama Fri 08-Sep-17 19:52:18

I have had problems with people who leave me a message with their phone number but gabble the number so I can't possibly write it all down so I have to ring 1471 several times to listen to the number the person has left, if it's a mobile number it can take ages to get the complete number.

Jane10 Fri 08-Sep-17 18:45:41

grin*trisher*!

Gaggi3 Fri 08-Sep-17 18:45:30

I agree it's a first world problem, but that's where we live. Feeling very strongly about global and national problems does not mean we have to ignore the things that are part of our daily lives. Poor speech is irritating, but I fear it's here to stay. Let's hope the rubbish problem some posters have isn't.

Eloethan Fri 08-Sep-17 18:39:41

That's brilliant trisher.

trisher Fri 08-Sep-17 18:30:07

Aa diven kna what this threed is aal aboot. Ya kna we lorn tae speak proper oop 'ere when we're just bairns. Aal this just cos yer bins didna get picked oop. Howay mon divna fash yersel.

Lilyflower Fri 08-Sep-17 17:47:08

I don't see how a small problem ceases to be difficult because worse things happen. I am sure those who sneer ' 'first world problems' would be terribly upset if their niggles were so treated.

Our troubles are usually frustrations rather than injustices or horrors. We all work very hard at creating a kind and civilised society and, in return, deserve more than indifference or rudeness.

Marieeliz Fri 08-Sep-17 17:00:13

I also tried to contact my LA today re a dog warden. I local tenant leaves her dog out to wander the street with no collar on.

Dog Warden number now goes directly to main phone. We get a long message re not being able to answer because of Government funding has being cut. It is a Labour Local Authority, of course. I would think this is electioneering and opportunistic. It would have thought they could cut their Councillor's salaries before cutting basic services. The next message tells you to go online but not everyone has this option.

NanKate Fri 08-Sep-17 16:09:38

I'm glad I gave you a chuckle 123Kitty

My DS speaks well on the whole, except he says birfday instead of birthday. I often think I will say to him 'there is no F in birthday' but I suspect he would think I was swearing. grin

W11girl Fri 08-Sep-17 15:37:44

Meant to say I CAN'T stand it!

W11girl Fri 08-Sep-17 15:36:17

Yes very "irritatin"!! Why can't people "talk propa" these days. Its beyond me! I can stand it when I hear so called celebrities, even Simon Cowell, add "K" onto some of their words like "somethink" instead of "something". Don't get me started!!

Veda Fri 08-Sep-17 15:19:46

I love these posts. I also hate the droppin of the G. Pretty Patel really gets on my nerves because she is otherwise quite well spoken which makes it stand out even more. The Queen's English has long disappeared although I think Kate is trying hard to promote it. My grandson purposely adopted an unpleasant sounding accent in order to fit in. If I went onto Room 101 it would be overflowing. Another thing that annoys me is that people often use abbreviations which leave me scratching my head.

In spite of the above opinions I am fully aware of the terrible things that are happening in my own personal life & in the outside world.

Anyway T.A.F.N.

Jane10 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:59:55

Sigh. Shakes head and retreats to the 21st century.

Nanny27 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:25:59

'ere I am again, turnin up when an interesting thread as been runnin for ages an I'm probably too late to say anythin but just want to add that if I hear one more person on the media add a k to the end of nothing, something or anything I shall demand my license fee back!

JanaNana Fri 08-Sep-17 14:22:47

Equally irritating/ entertaining is watching TV with the subtitles on occasionally as OH is becoming a bit deaf. The spellings of some words are as bad as some of the pronunciations of others. For example the Coronation Street script recently showed the word Nickers....minus the K. Have seen a few others on subtitles as well and just wonder who is given the job ....obviously spellings not their strong point.

Caro1954 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:02:46

Oh yes lemongrove I blame Tony Blair for lots of things!! Thanks for this thread, it seems that most of us are part of one big happy family as far as our local councils are concerned. My DH has been telling me this for years but I thought it couldn't be true, seems I was wrong. Again. wink

Jane10 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:00:00

I'd cut and repaste my last post if I could. What a snobbish bunch of fogeys you're all coming over as! Speakers and writers of Chaucerian and Shakespearean English would be appalled at your sloppy diction and pronunciation! Thank goodness language mutates.

Foxyferret Fri 08-Sep-17 13:54:03

Phoenix. One of the ads is for Currys who apparently are selling Haitch TD televisions. As soon as he appears I have to turn the sound off.