Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect my L.A to have recorded messages with proper diction?

(75 Posts)
phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 21:33:50

Evening all.

I had to phone my District Council regarding their complete inefficiency seeming oversight on collecting my recycling. The fact that I had emailed them 2 days ago and had received no response didn't help my mood.

Anyway, I digress. I dialled the number, got the usual " options" thing:

For buildin' control, or plannin' applications, press 2

For queries on refuse collection or recyclin' press 3

For parkin' permits, press any button you like, because no one is ever in that department.

Yes, I know that in the grand scheme of things it is a minor thing, but I find it very irritatin' grin

annsixty Wed 06-Sep-17 21:38:36

First world problem. Sorry.
In light of Myanmar and Irma I would just put up with it.

Charleygirl Wed 06-Sep-17 21:46:22

phoenix you are fortunate that your local council provide you with a telephone number because mine can only be contacted on line and then I find it is a one way communication because I have never received a reply.

I contacted mine on line today to state that the bin for my grass cuttings had not been emptied for over a month. Was this a complaint I was asked- yes said I. What do you want us to do about it? Empty the bin, end of. There was nobody replying to me, I had a choice of answers etc.

We pay extra to have the grass cutting removed and I share with my neighbour.

suzied Wed 06-Sep-17 21:47:37

It was probably done by a work experience teenager.

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 21:50:35

annsixty just trying to be bit light hearted, I am well aware of the things going on in the wider world.

And of course I do "just put up with it", as you put it, as I have no intention of wasting my time in bringing it to the attention of my L.A.

As I said, just trying to be light hearted, perhaps it would have better posted in Pedants Corner, or not posted at all.

grumppa Wed 06-Sep-17 21:55:22

I had no idea we were neighbours, phoenix. Our stretch of road has been bombarding our Council website, our Councillors and our MP about our bins not being emptied. Telephoning involves umpteen options and a promised ten minute wait.

Yes, it's a first world problem, but we pay our council tax in return for a service, and our Council contracts the job out to a private company. That does not exempt them from ensuring that our bins are emptied.

Deedaa Wed 06-Sep-17 22:00:59

I'm currently trying to get something done about a tree. It's on the school playing field which backs on to our garden. Over the years it has grown very big and the roots are wrecking the paving in our garden. I am in and endless circle of phoning the council who tell me to phone the school, and phoning the school who tell me to ask the council!

At least I usually get straight through to a person and don't have to press too many buttons!

NanKate Wed 06-Sep-17 22:01:51

I am with you on this Phoenix I am always yelling at the TV when I consider the diction or grammar is at fault.

Haitch not Aitch get me too.

Why can't people talk proper like us Phoenix ?

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 22:06:09

NanKate there are 2 currently running advertisements (can't remember what for) where "Haitch" is used! Really grates!

Charleygirl Wed 06-Sep-17 22:07:40

phoenix and NanKate youse is too fussy!

NanKate Wed 06-Sep-17 22:22:56

No Charleygirl we are perfectionists in the oral department grin

phoenix Wed 06-Sep-17 22:34:52

Erm, perhaps NanKate, you might care to rephrase that?

confusedblush

Chewbacca Wed 06-Sep-17 22:47:39

grin

Eloethan Wed 06-Sep-17 23:25:49

This style of speaking seems to be getting much more common now. Sadiq Khan, Priti Patel, Beth Rigby (Economics Correspondent on Sky) and several other high profile people drop the g and the end of words.

It is inexplicable to me why I find it irritating but I do and in a way I feel annoyed with myself for being so petty because, as annsixty says, in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that important.

ninathenana Wed 06-Sep-17 23:50:15

phoenix gringrin

Cherrytree59 Thu 07-Sep-17 00:20:03

I have just received a questionnaire from my local council.
It is a numbered tick the box .
How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with ........
It came via Royal mail. (Presumably to every household)
To be returned by Pre paid 2nd class post.

I dread to think how much the post administration and then the time to stick it all on computer to provided some sort of statistics that prove to themselves and the Government that council is going a great job.
Must run in to a few thousand pounds.
Or to put another way a few filed in pot holes or maybe a years funding for the reintroduction of the axed children's services hmm.

Cherrytree59 Thu 07-Sep-17 00:21:22

Doing!!

Imperfect27 Thu 07-Sep-17 06:39:24

Ah Phoenix , you have my sympathies, but then proper diction has not been modelled in the media for a very long time. I notice (divergence here) that many 20-30 somethings also finish many statement sentences with an upward lilt that makes them sound like a question - Australian soap influence I think. I am also aware that for a very long time, poor diction in staff at primary schools has not been addressed. In the past couple f years 'hints' have been given to staff to 'speak well,' but many children are not hearing 'proper diction' from staff at school either!

And now I feel old and grumpy - good innit! grin

NanKate Thu 07-Sep-17 06:57:06

Oooooo you are awful Phoenix and me such a nice girl grin

Greyduster Thu 07-Sep-17 07:41:36

We used to get a message on our doctor's answerphone. "We are sorry for the delay. The person you are calling knows you are waiting and will be wiv you shortly". It used to drive me wild, especially when repeated at intervals throughout the wait. I found myself shouting down the phone "Th... it's TH for Gods sake!" Recently they appear to have replaced her with a new message by someone who is not linguistically challenged!

Alima Thu 07-Sep-17 08:03:37

Last time I phoned our council, probably about council tax, I spoke to a fraffly nice gal. Live in a posh place obs.

Oldwoman70 Thu 07-Sep-17 08:07:32

annsixty - how is not complaining to local authorities about lack of services going to help those currently suffering the terrible catastrophes of the world?

annsixty Thu 07-Sep-17 08:25:57

That was not the point of the OP oldwoman.
The point made was the sloppy speech of the recorded message.
Of course we should complain about poor service whenever we encounter it.
phoenix apologies for my post, by evening I am not at my best and I really must stop posting at that time.
I also posted last week about GN being boring and there I am criticising you for bringing a different subject forward for comments.?

Imperfect27 Thu 07-Sep-17 08:58:13

Have to smile annsixty - GN subjects sometimes bore me and I try to introduce posts to get us chatting. I started yesterday thinking 'If all we have got to talk about that is new today is butter ... ' and then several interesting things popped up - including on that thread - that had me thinking all day.

I think the mixture of lighthearted and serious challenge on this forum is a rare mix.

lemongrove Thu 07-Sep-17 09:05:07

I blame Tony Blair ?He was the first to use sloppy speech patterns, ever since, politicians have copied him, and now everybody does.Off out shoppin' now, laters! ?