Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want to read the news

(33 Posts)
Esspee Mon 11-Sep-17 07:50:43

Am I really being unreasonable to want to read the news instead of watching it? The occasional video used to be acceptable as optional illustration of a story. Nowadays many of the BBC News stories are purely video without even a brief summary of the content for you to decide if you are interested. I read quickly and can scan to eliminate info I am already aware of. Why should I have to endure a three minute film which might be of little interest? Is it because we are bringing up a generation of non readers?

adaunas Mon 11-Sep-17 12:39:41

I'd rather read it though I don't mind the videos which sometimes gave greater impact e.g. the famine in South Sudan. Reporters standing in the pouring rain in places people have been warned to leave just annoy me.

GranVee Mon 11-Sep-17 13:05:48

I agree that often the news consists, not of presenting balanced facts, but expressing personal opinions. The other thing that annoys me is presenters speaking to reporters who are at outside locations instead of inside the studio. Why is it necessary to be stood in front of, say, the Houses of Parliament when presenting a report. How much money must that cost for ouside crew etc.

gillyknits Mon 11-Sep-17 14:29:39

I so agree Esspee. It seems that the television companies seem to think that we need visual clues about what is being said. For example if they are talking about a tree we are shown a picture of one. I know that's a bit simplistic but it is almost as if, we the audience are too stupid to know what a tree looked like.

Anniebach Mon 11-Sep-17 14:42:01

Every winter a Road near here gets blocked with snow , every year the Beeb sends a reporter, sound man ,driver etc up there to Tell us the road is blocked , no matter the police always put up a sign each side of the mountain stating the road is blocked, and locals know it will be blocked

hulahoop Mon 11-Sep-17 14:51:30

I agree about how much the Beeb spend on sending reporters to places to report about things that doesn't warrant them being there .

W11girl Mon 11-Sep-17 18:56:29

I don't watch or read the news, I listen to it. Have to hear John Humphreys' or Nick Robinson's (Radio 4) authorative tones every morning. Wouldn't dream of switching the television on unless there has been a major news item which I need to see. I don't beleive we are raising a generation of non-readers, as everyone seems to constantly have their noses stuck into smart phones reading text messages/ books/etc...apart from me of course...I like a good book and the feel of paper!

Esspee Wed 13-Sep-17 09:46:59

W11girl,
Have you ever seen what passes for English in text messages. We often have to ask for translations when receiving messages from nephews and neices. As for reading books......most people glued to their phones are on "social media", you tube, or the like, even watching films. It is a wonder there aren't more accidents.