Gransnet forums

AIBU

Coast or Country and the like, why................

(60 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 26-Sep-17 09:52:15

do they never just have around £200,000 to spend, it would be a programme that would cater for many more people. Todays programme, they have £900,000!

TellNo1Ok Wed 27-Sep-17 10:49:10

i think it's an inheritance.... at least i tell myself that's how they get such money / mortgage offers .... or they are much better savers than us!
not "ordinary" people anyway...

JanaNana Wed 27-Sep-17 10:49:51

Occasionally watch A place in the Country, but it does depend on who is presenting the programme ...one or two I cannot bear ..too pompous and arrogant. Have occasionally seen couples offer a bid on a property...but many more I think simply want to be on TV. Lost interest in Location etc. as think same as above its their 15 minutes of fame on TV. Sorry to be so cynical but this is how a lot of these people come across. Much preferred Phil Spencer's Secret Agent which was far more interesting in practical terms as these were not over the top properties or showy with acres....but many simple homes were people needed helpful/useful/practical help and expertise in getting their houses sold so they could literally move. Nothing showy about that programme. Phil comes across well and also quite sensitive in enabling people to help themselves.

Nonnie Wed 27-Sep-17 10:57:56

We watch Location x 3 and don't understand why the buyers haven't done their own research when they are already local. I can see that help might be useful if you are moving a long way away but surely not if you know the area?

We would like to move in the next year or two and have thoroughly researched the area. We have Rightmove map alerts on the precise areas we prefer and every now and then look at what is available in the wider area. What could any 'expert' do in addition to that? I suppose they might be useful when it came to negotiating the price but I think even that amounts to - offer low and increase if necessary. The exception being when the agent says offers by such and such a date and you know they are going to go above the asking price but even then I probably know the market better than they do as I have been following it for so long.

I do like Kirsty and Phil though, they seem relatively normal compared to some others, despite Kirsty coming from a very privileged background.

Peardrop50 Wed 27-Sep-17 11:00:31

Have always lived in the middle of nowhere. Just returned from a few years in France with lots less money than we left with. Only way back in to countryside at same standard of living is old ruin we are doing up. No low beams, no huge open plan rooms, no vaulted ceilings, no paddocks. Have gone for three ensuite bathrooms though so we can do B&B to pay for it all!
Can't imagine getting Alistair and co to chose my dream home, only DH and I know what that is

Hm999 Wed 27-Sep-17 11:33:31

I love the 'We must have a big dining room for when we entertain', when they are moving massive distances. They won't know anyone!

Legs55 Wed 27-Sep-17 12:19:46

I do despair when watching A Place in the Country when those of retirement age are looking at isolated properties, I relocated from Somerset after being widowed, I was 59 & wanted to be about 10 miles radius from my DD in Torquay.

I found my new home on Rightmove in a small Town on the edge of Dartmoor. There is a bus service until about 8pm. Local GP Surgery with volunteers who offer transport for a donation to Surgery/Hospital/Dentist. Local Post Office/shop within walking distance. So much more practical particularly if you have to stop driving. Small garden, perfectly manageable. That is my ideal.

These people seem to get carried away with the dream not the practicalities.

GillT57 Wed 27-Sep-17 12:34:35

I would like there to be a Place in The Country-Revisited series. Let's see how these people with fantasies of keeping chickens, growing vegetables, baking their own bread etc are getting on. Living in the middle of nowhere as a retirement project is madness to my mind, and unless you are of a practical nature, an expensive business too if you need to get tradespeople in for every fence repair, chicken house fix. Yes, it is lovely to have peace and quiet, yes it is lovely to have views, but how are those views when you are 80+, widowed, unable to drive, dependent upon the goodwill of friends and neighbours for everyday essentials? Would terrify me. I live in a village, got the views out the back, but also got a GP, Coop, school etc. Having said all this, I do love watching these property programmes, we sit and speculate about the people, wonder where they got the money from, hector then on their comments, criticise the decor......grin

Lilyflower Wed 27-Sep-17 12:52:51

I love property programmes and it is clear that the house hunters are chosen for their quirks and eccentricities. In fact I know it's the case as friends of my daughters were deselected from a programme as they were 'too normal'.

Thus we, the viewers, get a double dose of schadenfreude and Nosey-Parkerdom. We get to see the interiors of other people's houses and we get to hear the delightful silliness of those, for example, who have £millions to spend but who cannot find a single place to buy.

In a recent 'Location....' a couple sold a very lovely house in my own village which was their dream house in their dream location. They had a £million to spend and, before they called in Kirsty and Phil, had viewed ninety properties without success. They didn't buy any of the delightful places that K&P showed them because their problem was that they really wanted to be back in the first house. It was obvious to all but them and made the programme compulsive viewing.

As long as there are ridiculous house viewing programme I will watch them. They always reinforce my contentment with my own house and my own DH.

FarNorth Wed 27-Sep-17 13:14:37

'We want to put our stamp on it" is a phrase that aggravates me on property programmes.
Not sure why exactly.

Tessa101 Wed 27-Sep-17 15:11:12

I love noisying around the houses on these programs.

lesley4357 Wed 27-Sep-17 15:21:46

The phrase "gives them the space/garden/kitchen that they CRAVE" they don't crave it, they want it. Drives me mad.

maddy629 Wed 27-Sep-17 16:46:08

Not many people seem to buy any of the houses. I know someone who went on 'Escape To The Country' not intending to buy a house, they just wanted a week in Cornwall and to be seen on the TV!!!

paddyann Wed 27-Sep-17 17:02:33

we have a friend who was on Grand Designs and built a beautiful house with 6 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms,it had its own lake and was in a very rural area.Met here recently to find they'd upped sticks and moved to the city as "country life didn't suit us" As they were both city folk with teenage children I could have told her that before they started .

123kitty Wed 27-Sep-17 17:07:16

How about the budget's up to £250,000 and the retired couple is then shown a house for £280,000. Where's the extra £30,000 supposed to come from.

BRedhead59 Wed 27-Sep-17 17:21:43

Why do they all want a kitchen island? I'd rather have a kitchen table the family can sit around.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 27-Sep-17 19:00:19

Dizzygran. To each his own and what a relief we are all different in what floats our boat.
Pre retirement our properties had all been city outskirts easy for business.Hated the traffic and noisy neighbours.
I was able to take early retirement .I went house hunting on the internet and came up with my get away from it all cottage.Now in my 'get away from it all' I am surrounded by a 'deafening' silence.If you know what I mean
Not everyone's choice but I love it. Sheer bliss.

lemongrove Wed 27-Sep-17 19:09:11

Of course they just want to be on tv. Who can't find a house without a cameraman and presenter showing them just three houses??
We are always amazed by how many men claim they do all the cooking, and collect classic cars.Baffling.

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-17 20:06:55

A friend's house was one of the early ones on Grand Designs. They then tried to sell it but with great difficulty because it was 'too quirky.'

They've emigrated grin

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-17 20:22:20

While I was gardening today some distant sirens cut through the silence (apart from birdsong) so I looked across the fields towards the main road to see what was going on. We get quite a few 'stop what you're doing' moments round here - including HRH landing his air ambulance in a neighbouring field!

Nothing exciting today.....but as I leaned on my hoe and admired the cloudless sky and the changing colours of the leaves glinting in the sunlight, I found myself hoping that life and limb will hang on in there for a while yet because I really, really don't want to live anywhere else.

It's not for everyone but living in the middle of nowhere is my idea of heaven.

Maggieanne Wed 27-Sep-17 20:32:35

We have a small semi, in an area close to shops, hospitals, doctors, dentists, libraries and reasonable transport. We could buy a much nicer property....in the middle of nowhere, but really, at our age? Friends bought and did up a cottage, and boy,did they work on it and when it was finished he was diagnosed with cancer. If they had moved to the cottage they would have been miles from anywhere, including hospitals. They stayed in their more than adequate house. He recovered I'm glad to say, unfortunately she's got the bug and is still looking for another property.

Deedaa Wed 27-Sep-17 21:35:22

I got a shock recently when a couple on Escape to the Country, who were looking for a house to retire to, not only liked all the houses they were shown but went straight back and bought their favourite one. That must be a first.

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Sep-17 21:55:50

No one has mentioned llamas.
The animal of choice for townies who haven't a clue about animals to put on their 5acres.

FarNorth Wed 27-Sep-17 22:36:42

Deedaa, maybe they couldn't be bothered to trawl through a lot of adverts and decided to just make their choice from the 3 provided.

A bit like those people on "The Crowd" who got a crowd of people to make an important life decision for them. smile

MesMopTop Wed 27-Sep-17 23:56:14

Couldn't agree more Maddyone. I used to breed and show chickens, you couldn't leave them for one day! Not to mention the care they need. Gleaning coups and making sure they remain bug free is an absolute joy. When your ride on mower breaks down and you're waiting for a part, that grass grows an inch a fay, I'm sure of it. The animals need feeding, cleaning and both smells and antics, well they can have there moments. I would be one of those people that wanted land to keep my animals (love it and fobt mind the work). Only thing is, I'd be looking for only two bedrooms at most. If I moved that far from the rellies and friends to get away from you all then what makes you think I'll have you buggers come stay with me??? Only joking, I have lovely family and friends that would be welcome any time. Many handsake light work. However, maybe they might not want to come stay with ME ?

floorflock Thu 28-Sep-17 07:01:42

A witches coven, how interesting. Where do you live....