Gransnet forums

AIBU

Coast or Country and the like, why................

(60 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 26-Sep-17 09:52:15

do they never just have around £200,000 to spend, it would be a programme that would cater for many more people. Todays programme, they have £900,000!

muddynails Thu 28-Sep-17 19:50:51

As for what people want in a house, surely its a case of
"different strokes for different folks" likewise for how much they have to spend.
In answer to why they go onto t.v, it isn't easy looking
for a property 200 or 300 miles away from where you live,
I wish we had the nerve to go onto t.v but suffered several
years tooing and froing from where we lived to where we
wanted to go, google maps made it a lot easier as to the
surroundings but you still need to view the properties and
if you have looked for a property you will know photographs and estate agent speak aren't always what they seem.

Jane10 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:16:42

Think about all the people whose houses feature on these programmes. How hurt they must feel to hear their lovely homes being dismissed as too small or inconvenient layout. Embarrassing to hear Phil saying upgrading required - maybe they think it's lovely.

Mapleleaf Fri 29-Sep-17 10:06:36

I'm quite addicted to these sorts of programmes. A bit voyeuristic, I suppose, but also good to watch for a laugh.
As many of you say, where do these people find the money? Also, when a property 40 or 50 thousand over their top budget doesn't seem to matter!!?
People with no experience of animal husbandry suddenly want a menagerie, or no business experience but want to run a B & B or keep yurts.
The properties with many rooms, bathrooms & high ceilings - who cleans them?
Being in the middle of no where when you're older and likely to need health care services at some point, or shops etc, how practical is it to be in the middle of nowhere?
How many bathrooms does one really need? How often are friends and family going to come to necessitate a huge house?
What about its upkeep & associated costs.
I suppose these practicalities don't make for interesting viewing!
Oh, and if I hear "wow factor" one more time...., or a comment that a kitchen the size of all my downstairs footprint put together is a "bit small" I think I'll scream. On second thoughts, no I won't, I'll just continue laughing?

Witzend Fri 29-Sep-17 10:28:20

I often think these people are just desperate to be on telly and brag to everybody watching how much they've got to spend, and how fussy/demanding they are.
A bit pathetic, really. Well, more than a bit!

Mapleleaf Fri 29-Sep-17 11:06:35

I sometimes wonder if some of the people ever really intend buying? I know some do, but more of them, we are told, have decided to keep looking or change to a different area altogether - are they really?

Craicon Fri 29-Sep-17 13:54:03

I knew someone who appeared on the moving to the country show. She wasn't remotely interested in moving to the country at all as she likes city life but just wanted an opportunity to leave her books on display and brag that's she's an 'author'. She's desperately trying to join the 50 shades bandwagon but the books are trash novels and all self published online.

Menopaws Fri 29-Sep-17 14:31:27

Easy watching and love looking at others houses and thinking what I would do with it, also watching the dynamic between couples is hilarious

merlotgran Fri 29-Sep-17 16:45:01

I'd love to have a peep at the presenters' houses. We've had a brief glimpse of Jules' home in Countryfile and he often says how much he likes a house that's on offer.

What about Nicky and Alistair though?

Nicky rides and Alistar is musical.......hmm.

alchemilla Thu 05-Oct-17 13:53:23

I think the PP who suggested a "back to the city" programme has it spot on. If only because I'm thinking of doing it ....

And hurrah for a programme revisiting those Grand Designs/out to the country decisions. They do go back, but usually because time ran out on the initial filming and it's the last gasp for getting back all the investment in that particular Grand Design.

I'd also watch a programme about finding a rental/house on a limited income.