Gransnet forums

AIBU

Son's case worker

(10 Posts)
kittylester Wed 27-Sep-17 07:26:27

For all of you caring mum's - please feel free to rant, chunter or whatever on here if it helps.

I had loads of support when I needed it so you will too. flowers

ninathenana Tue 26-Sep-17 21:25:11

Thanks everyone.

Iam64 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:18:38

yes kittylester, you are right. I'm sorry for ranting and being unable to come up with any constructive suggestions. I have had experience of leaving endless messages for case workers. I recognise work pressures but it isn't good enough not to respond in any way. virtual hugs and positive thoughts instead.

kittylester Tue 26-Sep-17 20:58:39

No experience or advice nina but a (((hug))) and a listening ear.

Iam64 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:02:03

I agree that social workers in all areas are under pressure and overloaded with work. The same goes for the families they're employed to support. What has to happen before this government's austerity approach comes to a halt and services are given more resources, i.e. staff and practical services.
I apologise to Imperfect, nina and other regular contributors who I know are struggling to care for their loved ones, for introducing politics to this discussion. I struggle to understand how things can improve without changes in government policies. We are a wealthy country. We can afford to provide decent public services, put in good training for police, social workers, nurses, those working in education and the criminal justice system. I find it shameful that our services are being diminished in favour of profit making organisations. How can it be right to see health, education or social care as ripe to be privatised for profit making? I'm not suggesting all was perfect previously but things were better and their were aspirations to continue to improve.

Imperfect27 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:51:41

nina, not at all - I realise I was ranting! That does not make your own woes any less valid and keenly felt!

To be honest, I feel I have been suffering a sense of 'fall out' from the trauma of the past few days. It is not like me to 'bang on' about something, but it has been very hard to see such costly avoidable mistakes being made.

ninathenana Tue 26-Sep-17 18:01:47

I had read of your son's plight imperfect It makes my niggle seem insignificant.
Sorry, in the heat of the moment I needed to rant. I do know how hard most of them work.

Imperfect27 Tue 26-Sep-17 16:56:44

It is overwork, but sadly can have such bad consequences.

DS1 has mental health needs and after a 10 week wait for an urgent medication review and referral for therapeutic support, and in deteriorating health he finally had a triage phone call from a social worker from his local mh services last week. He was too poorly to speak to her so I advocated for him, explained that we had by then already visited emergency services twice in 7 days and that he was deeply depressed / suicidal. She listened to me give a very full and informed explanation of his health difficulties and then said she would write a report, send it to his consultant and an appointment would follow. I specifically asked for her to liaise with me and let me know when the appointment might be as DS was so poorly. But she phoned him and left a voicemail to say he would be seen ...in early November. This was the tipping point for him, he is currently on an acute ward. All he has wanted is 'help to be made better' for so many long weeks. SW was aware of his state and I haven't got words to say what distress she caused by contacting him directly.

vampirequeen Tue 26-Sep-17 16:19:26

They are over worked but it's no excuse.

ninathenana Tue 26-Sep-17 14:51:09

I need to let off steam regarding his SS case worker.
Since last Monday I have left her three voice mails asking for a call back. I eventually got to speak to her today. AIBU to think it shouldn't take 4 phone calls ? She admitted that due to pressure of work she forgot to ring me, good job it wasn't a crisis. angry

His current CW took over S case from a lovely lady about 4 mths ago, the previous CW was a great help to S but moved on.
This one has just told me that someone else will be his case worker now as she is with another team. Can't say I'm sorry.