Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am totally sick and fed up with this!

(95 Posts)
phoenix Wed 04-Oct-17 20:52:05

Evening all, perhaps this should have been posted under the TV etc thread, but if I see one more couple on a TV property programme bloody holding hands I may either:

A) vomit

B) scream to the point where the neighbours call someone with a view to having me taken away

C) Throw something at the television.

It is so obvious that they have been asked/told to do it, some actually look quite uncomfortable!

It's not just Location, Location, Location, all the damn property programmes do it, why?

People can be a couple without actually having physical contact every time they walk down a street!

What happens when one needs the loo? Do they go together, still holding hands, (could make wiping difficult blush ) or does the other wait outside the door, having a panic attack until their hands are clasped together again?

shysal Thu 05-Oct-17 09:39:44

It annoys me to see the hand-holding too. I also wonder how many of the older couples searching for a new home will not be sharing a bedroom but don't admit it!

Tea and cake Thu 05-Oct-17 10:03:11

That's probably the reason they want so many bedrooms, not 'visitors'....

DanniRae Thu 05-Oct-17 10:16:52

I enjoy "Homes Under the Hammer" and "Escape to the Country" but don't watch "Location x 3" because I can't stand the women presenter. I find her so irritating!!

merlotgran Thu 05-Oct-17 10:23:29

Kirstie looked like she was about to storm off in disgust, Auntieflo grin

I would love a programme to end with, 'Oh, find your own bloody house then!'

henetha Thu 05-Oct-17 10:44:27

Um.... this is not important enough to make yourself feel ill over, Phoenix.

KatyK Thu 05-Oct-17 10:54:39

Oh phoenix how I agree! Of course it's lovely to see people holding hands but I too get irritated by this. My DH and me rarely hold hands (after 50 years together we just don't). It actually makes me feel a bit inadequate (not sure that's the right word) when I watch these programmes. I think 'oh look how loved up they are, we're not like that'.

Baggs Thu 05-Oct-17 11:13:06

It's okay, phoenix, you didn't have to explain yourself. My posts were given with a smile on my face not a critical look.

Jillsewing Thu 05-Oct-17 11:36:39

Property programmes are bad enough but what about the cooking ones don’t get me started

Diddy1 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:37:45

I love the programme Escape to the Country,but some of the things are well rehearsed, they are no doubt told to hold hands, say different things about the houses etc, as they nearly always say the same things, but as someone said on GN, having a free Holiday, anyone would do or say anything to charm the producer!

BBbevan Thu 05-Oct-17 11:38:56

DH and I are usually arm in arm. But we very often hold hands. We have been together since 1963.

Nelliemaggs Thu 05-Oct-17 11:39:37

I find it funny not annoying. Politicians do it too even when they have been caught out cheating . Comical

inishowen Thu 05-Oct-17 11:45:23

Have you noticed how presenters never arrive anywhere by car. You see them walking up a lane or street as if they've walked over the mountains to get to their destination!

Wilma65 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:46:39

Hubby and I always hold hand when we are out and about. Married 45 years :-)
Theresa and her hubby were holding hands yesterday after the conference too

ajanela Thu 05-Oct-17 11:48:30

Never noticed that.

Teddy123 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:53:29

I'm with you on this one phoenix. It comes across as totally stage managed, contrived and unnatural. Yep I do occasionally hold my OH's arm in public, usually when I'm feeling tired. So not averse to public displays of affection.
'Escape to the Country' is my fav ..... very relaxing apart from my muttering!

Legs55 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:00:43

I'm another one who hasn't noticed the hand holding. What always irritates me is the retired or almost retired couples who want a remote home, haven't they considered what happens if they can't drive or one dies???? Also love house 2 but it would be better if in location of house 1. Comromiseconfused

quEEEniE Thu 05-Oct-17 12:02:54

still on the theme of tv how about "l promise" how many times do you hear that or "l will make it up to you". Script writers need to get out more.

Marianne1953 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:03:03

I've known my husband since I was 16 (nearly 50 Years) and we always hold hands when we go out. No prompting, it automatic.

nanav123 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:25:10

my husband and I who have been married nearly 59 years make a joke of this saying every time we see someone holding hands "They must be buying a house"

Caro1954 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:33:06

I'm with Phoenix. I don't object to handholding at all but in some of these property programmes it just looks so staged as to be uncomfortable.

dragonfly46 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:33:24

My son and daughter-in-law were on Location, Location, Location and they were not instructed to do anything. It was totally natural. They always hold hands walking down the street. There was no rehearsal and they certainly were not told how to behave. Of course the programme was edited but they could not put things in which did not happen naturally. Kirsty, in fact, said to them that this was about them finding a flat not about making a programme and that is what they did. They found a very nice flat and got it for a reasonable price with Phil's negotiation. I don't see why a couple holding hands should be so offensive.

win Thu 05-Oct-17 12:37:11

I was married to my late husband for 47 years, and held his hand every time we went out walking together until the day he was in a wheelchair, my god how I missed that contact when out. After the stroke I used to hold his hand when sitting next to him reading, To us that was natural and a loving part of our relationship.

Horatia Thu 05-Oct-17 12:43:40

I have yet to discover the ' statement' that so many people think the decor etc in their home says about them. No one has ever said what it is.

Margs Thu 05-Oct-17 13:10:04

My personal advertisement hate is all those cheesey Pension Plan ads that show a smiling elderly couple, dressed in pastels, picking the bluddy roses in a perfect garden!

(And they both appear to still have their own teeth and the husband has a full head of hair!)

MawBroon Thu 05-Oct-17 13:10:37

All these programmes are one long cliché - the making one’s stamp, the heart of the home, the that’s a good space blah blah blah.
So,it is no surprise that the body language is similarly clichéd but on the scale of 1-100 of things to get really sick and fed up about, surely it ranks about 101?