Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect mail to be addressed to me?

(56 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sat 07-Oct-17 15:08:01

Today my DH received a letter, addressed to Mr. J. When he opened it, attached to the letter was my new debit card from our bank! It's a joint account, but really, AIBU to think that in 2017, with gender equality in the news almost every day, the letter, and MY bank card should have been addressed to me?

Lindylo Wed 18-Oct-17 11:08:07

I've had a similar problem with Natwest. It was my current account and I've had it for years and we decided it would be a good idea to make all our accounts joint. Since then everything is addressed to my OH who actually never uses the account. I've asked for mail to be addressed to me but Natwest just ignore the request.

seasider Sun 08-Oct-17 21:11:47

I booked a holiday with Saga and paid the deposit. I was lead passenger so why did all the documentation come addressed to DP? I was cross because though we had discussed the holiday ( for my significant birthday) I was going to surprise himangry

sandelf Sun 08-Oct-17 21:02:19

If it is joint 'either to sign' then you should receive it direct to you - but if it is joint, both to sign and his name is the first, then correspondence will go to him.

Redrobin51 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:20:38

Yes I had something similar happen. I had always had an account with a local building society but thought I would add my husband's name just in case I was ever too ill to access the money. As soon as I did that everything started coming in his name. I went absolutely ballistic and write a really strong letter and also phoned them up to complain. I had an abject apology everything from then on was duplicated and they sent me £25 as an apology.x

sarahellenwhitney Sun 08-Oct-17 19:03:32

LesleyC Why do you need to advise your bank you are going on holiday unless you intend trekking around the world for a year or two.If DH is so easy going and if it annoys you to have to ask his permission to speak to Sky and Bt why have it in his name in the first placehmm. These companies could be approached by anyone and by doing what they are doing then covers them against fraud.

yellowcanary Sun 08-Oct-17 18:43:23

Daisydoo2 something similar happened to me - someone rang me and was going on about something, told him wasn't interested and he said "well I spoke to Mr ** a couple of weeks ago and he was very interested" I replied do you have a ouija board he said "no why", my response "he's been dead for 5 years" (which was true) - no reply for about 20 seconds then the phone went dead.

Jane10 when I went into the bank to change our joint bank account into my name after my husband passed away, the clerk was going to cancel the mortgage as well- I asked him why, and he said the insurance will pay it off, seeing as the insurance was in my name only (due to my husband's illness insurance would have been too expensive and also probably wouldn't have paid out if one particular reason for death was on the certificate) it wouldn't have paid off. Was just as well the clerk had said about it instead of just doing it automatically otherwise it would have caused problems at a later date. (He was 15 years older than myself)

seadragon Sun 08-Oct-17 17:47:52

For variety of reasons, I became the main (and mostly sole) breadwinner in our family so it was a sore point that our joint bank statements were addressed to DH but I was too busy to do anything but compose letters of complaint in my head.............

Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Oct-17 17:36:55

Jane10, it depends on how the account is set up. My late parents had the same arrangement that we do, ie the account(s) can be operated by 'either or survivor'. When my father died, my mother had full access to their joint accounts, and had to give them a death certificate only so that my father's name could be removed from the records. The bank (RBS) was very helpful and sympathetic, I must say.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 08-Oct-17 17:24:27

hildajenniJ
There will have had to have been two signatures where a joint account is concerned and banks do not go out to give the impression the husband has any priority. Possibly your husbands was the first signature on the application hence the card was sent to him .
Did you read the contents of the letter with your card?
It is not discrimination 'me tarzan you jane' so both of you make an appointment to visit the bank and advise them of your wishes or have your own personal account.

TellNo1Ok Sun 08-Oct-17 17:21:40

I would be very cross... and have been once before... complained strongly and tbh the bank has never repeated its mistake...

Magrithea Sun 08-Oct-17 16:53:43

We bank with NatWest but I get separate, individually addressed cards, cheque books etc.

lefthanded Sun 08-Oct-17 16:40:37

Are you sure you didn’t sign up for “only 1 copy of mail” some time in the past? We used to bank with NatWest and I remember them asking us if we wanted copies of statements etc sent to us both individually, or 1 copy between us. When we selected 1 copy they warned us that it would be addressed to the first-named person on the account (which was me). Just the way their system worked.

NanaRayna Sun 08-Oct-17 15:10:02

After my divorce I changed back to my old family name. A year or so ago I was cold called by some chap demanding to speak to Mr Maiden Name. I told the idiot that he'd need to consult a medium as Mr Maiden Name has been dead since 1977.
That shut him up!

LesleyC Sun 08-Oct-17 14:13:09

Our joint accounts are addressed to both of us. I also have a store credit card with my husband as a second cardholder and that always comes addressed to me with his new card as well. It's annoying that accounts like BT and Sky, although in his name, have to be authorised by him for me to talk to them on the phone. It could just as easily be in my name though, with me having to give authority! It wouldn't bother him one jot.

A very annoying things is that when we go on holiday, we notify our banks that we will be out of the country and even with a joint account we both have to ring them separately!

Legs55 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:12:21

Never had that problem from either Bank where Account was in my name first as it had been a sole Account but I later added him.

Building Society was in his name first but we got individual letters & cards sent to person whose name was on them.

These days I find it is common for a widow to use her own initial, I have moved so to be Mrs Husband's name or initial would not be appropriate. I am however proud of my surname which is very unusual.

Esspee Sun 08-Oct-17 13:28:09

When I got married MY bank account (Royal Bank of Scotland) became our joint account. From that date onwards my bank cards were sent to my husband and it infuriated me so much I used to phone them to complain. I complained every time but it didn't make any difference. No idea if they still do this as I got so angry I moved my account to another bank.

sluttygran Sun 08-Oct-17 13:25:38

This has made me so very cross. Even in this day and age, women are still considered to be an extension of their husbands.
Years ago, I owned a modest sailing yacht - not because I'm wealthy, but because I lived on it, having no house on land.
I owned the boat, sailed it and navigated all by myself, and did most of the necessary repairs, yet when I asked a man friend aboard, he was always referred to as 'Cap'n' and I was relegated to the galley!
Some things never change angry

dogsmother Sun 08-Oct-17 13:17:52

Aslemma, I considered this.
And it was a royal garden party so all very correct. I was just unhappy that I couldn’t be addressed as my self and not an extention of my husband who wasn’t even attending.
Protocols, humphing still ....

Aslemma Sun 08-Oct-17 12:57:15

Dogsmother - things may have changed these days but the correct way to address a married lady was always as "Mrs (husband's name or initial) Surname". This often extended to widows. The only time a woman reverted to her own initial was after divorce or separation.

Jane10 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:48:26

Luckily Mum also had her own account too to live on until the estate was settled.

Jane10 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:47:24

Big problem with joint accounts is what happens when one of you 'becomes late' (as Alexander McCall Smith puts it). My mother had an awful job retrieving money from a joint account as the bank insisted on a letter from my late Dad as proof she wanted to empty and close the account.

catwoman Sun 08-Oct-17 12:39:24

I must be so last century but I am happy being Mrs (husbands Christian name) our surname. We were forces & I'm so lucky to still have him after 50 years & a heart attack later. All we have is joint including the children & that's the way I like it.....

Daisydoo2 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:22:43

You should have received your card addressed to you, I would also notify the bank of their error. I have often come across this problem. Since my husband died I have received letters addressed to him even though I had notified every company of what had occurred. The final straw came when i was telephoned by one said company who asked to speak to him directly.. I snapped and said they would need to be telepathic. I now exist... after a lot of protest!

Nandalot Sun 08-Oct-17 12:12:38

We always get individual letters with the cards for our joint account both from our last bank and the one we changed to two weeks ago. I don’t think it is
on to send them together.

paddyann Sun 08-Oct-17 12:09:49

we have a joint account in fact 3 joint accounts...we both work for the money in the same businesses and it goes into one account ...makes sense to me.Its OUR money nobody ever says you cant spend what's there .I would think it odd to have seperate accounts...but I suppose if you dont fully trust your partner its different.We also get ONE letter with two new cards..thats not a problem either saves on paper and stamps doesn't it.If its addressed to the joint account holders surely either can open it ?