Gransnet forums

AIBU

To hav3 had enough of Harvey Weinstein on the radio

(312 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:16:25

Lead story World at One, the whole of the Media Show and now the lead on PM

GracesGranMK2 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:54:39

Gill57, his wife is not standing by him; she is leaving him.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:59:29

no maryeliza - there should be no suggestion of a hierarchy of abuse. Is there a hierarchy of murder? All such sense of entitlement needs to be called out as does the idea that it is okay to facilitate or turn a blind eye to such behaviour.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:21:20

But when it comes to UK news I expect CS and the abusevof children to be prioritised

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:22:34

Re his wife - some say she’s more worried about the impact on her business. She knew and heard nothing until this week? ????

Iam64 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:27:57

maryeliza, I understand your feelings but I believe the conspiracy of silence around men like Harvey Weinstein goes hand in hand with the non prosecution of men like CS, JS etc.
It's about powerful individuals, usually men, using their power and position to get their needs met. I heard a female clothes designer dismiss many of the complainants as "asking for it" because of the way they dress. Victim blaming in this kind of crime is widespread. Why didn't the women speak out - good question but the answer is simple. Would they be believed, would they ever work again? Would making it public make it harder for them to deal with their feelings about the incident. Would they always be blamed?

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:38:07

But isn’t there a real hypocrisy in the current situation? The MSM and SM frothing over his behaviour whilst they all peddle the sexualised images of young women and the kudos and wealth that goes to young women based mainly on their looks? There’s something very corrupt about all of this -Donna Karan the fashion designer you refer to designs cleavage and thigh revealing dresses for women to wear to ask for it in. I’m increasingly thinking that there are conceptual differences between what CS and JS got away with and why - such as the options open or not to their victims and the self interest of why HW got away with it. I agree about the basic issue of people not speaking out but there are huge differences as well

kittylester Wed 11-Oct-17 20:50:32

You are being unreasonable! Each victim is a valid victim in their own right regardless of who their abuser was.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:55:23

I don’t agree that being a valid victim makes all victims equal.

mostlyharmless Wed 11-Oct-17 22:09:23

It is dominating the news excessively.

But it reflects the power of the male celebrity which sadly seems woven into our society.

It stands incongruously next to stories of a President of the US who claims openly that he "grabs women by the pussy" and doesn't seem to be subject to any sanctions for his behaviour.

Are these powerful, wealthy men above the law?

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:41:45

mostly the answer must be yes. I like your second sentence btw.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Oct-17 22:42:35

I don’t agree that being a valid victim makes all victims equal. What does that actually mean? Do you mean that there is some kind if pecking order or hierarchy? Surely not?

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:52:27

Yes there is.If you work in health, social services, police service, you will be dealing sometimes with people who are victims of one kind or another. Whilst all have needs and are valid victims and deserve help and support, it is impossible
to treat them all equally - instead you will do your best to treat them fairly which means prioritising. So for example, a 12 year old in care from god knows what dreadful background abused by CS has a higher priority as a victim than any of HW’s victims. In an ideal world with infinite resources all victims would be treated equally but that’s a complete impossibility.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Oct-17 22:56:10

I do not agree with you Maryeliza.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:10:36

Re his wife - some say she’s more worried about the impact on her business. She knew and heard nothing until this week? ????

Is listening to gossip helpful?

Chewbacca Wed 11-Oct-17 23:14:52

Funny thing is that the OP was annoyed that HW had been given 19 minutes of air time on national news and more besides. And now he's been given another 5 hours--and counting-- on GN.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:35:27

Why is it a funny thing Chew? I’ve never said it shouldn’t be talked about just about it being the lead on the news, I think it’s been an interesting thread with some interesting posts:

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 23:39:13

GG there’s a lot of gossip around about the whole matter and there’s nothing wrong with speculating about the role of his wife in all this.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Oct-17 23:48:35

there’s nothing wrong with speculating about the role of his wife in all this. Well, there is if there's no substance to the speculation surely? Without some kind of show of evidence it's just gossip isn't it? You might as well say she was a Tiller Girl in the 1950s. No evidence to that either; just "speculation".

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Oct-17 00:39:12

If we only discussed things on GN that were backed up by evidence some threads would be very empty. With the revelations about HW and the length of time they cover, its perfectly reasonable to speculate as to what his wife knew and when - just as I would speculate as to when the Board knew and when. Silly point about being a Tiller Girl

Iam64 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:16:20

"There's nothing wrong with speculating about the role of his wife in all this". What does that mean, what role did she play? The focus is on his disgusting behaviour. So far as I'm aware, no one is suggesting his wife has sexually assaulted or bullied young men or women who were seeking to work in her fashion business.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:29:00

and there’s nothing wrong with speculating about the role of his wife in all this.

If you just wish to emote about what has happened there is nothing wrong with being influenced by gossip maryeliza.

However, if you want to understand and stop whatever allowed this to happen and allowed predatory males over and over again, in many and varied circumstances, to be successful not just once but many, many times it will take take a proper viewing of the facts - not gossip. The only thing we can do is shout out these people and their enablers if we should see them.

Anya Thu 12-Oct-17 08:29:12

Both men used their position of power to abuse. However there is a big difference between the effect of the abuse on a young, vulnerable and totally helpless child and a fully grown woman who went along with the ‘casting’ couch to further her career. From those actresses who had spoken out it would seek several told him ‘no’ in no uncertain terms.

Christinefrance Thu 12-Oct-17 08:29:50

I agree about the prominence this awful man and his alleged crimes has been given. There is much more going on in the world.
Seems like another case of the show business world accepting if not condoning this type if behaviour.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:32:51

If we only discussed things on GN that were backed up by evidence some threads would be very empty

No worry about that maryeliza. We live in a time where emoters are in the ascendance and reason and expertise - which would reveal the facts - are derided. So gossip will thrive for as long as you need it to I would guess.

Anya Thu 12-Oct-17 08:42:29

....and when being anonymous allows some to deride anyone whose views we disagree with.