Gransnet forums

AIBU

To hav3 had enough of Harvey Weinstein on the radio

(312 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:16:25

Lead story World at One, the whole of the Media Show and now the lead on PM

trisher Wed 18-Oct-17 10:10:48

Eleothan It is always possible to take individual people or quotes and criticise them. What I thought might interest people who were prepared to read this (and I acknowledge it was long) was that it dealt with the very subject that I had raised on here that is what happens to women who say they have not been harassed?
It is summed up as gender feminism and the statement
"Gender feminists interview and credit only those women who have been victimised and who consider themselves oppressed by men"
Very much the attitude from some when I asked the question.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:09:37

Thank you Eloethan for your summary. I think when someone starts off putting forward the view or a small minority think that:
a) everyone will know about that view and
b) everyone agrees with it,
it really makes it difficult to discover what that view actually is and what it stems from.

I cannot agree with the views of Betty Friedan that Eloethan has so kindly summarised and I cannot agree with the views put forward by trisher based on these.

It is not only that I disagree with the views - that became almost secondary as we moved through the pages as I couldn't get a hold on what these views were based on - but that I totally and utterly disagree with the belief that it is okay for anyone or any group to attempt to impose their views on everyone else.

It is fine to campaign for them using our democratic system or even suggest on here that you believe this could be the way forward but to insist that this is what other people must do or they are in the wrong is persecuting those people. If you insist on your right to vilify others - which is what some have done because these women have chosen not to fit the mould approved of by them, then it really shouldn't be a surprise if it comes back and bites you – hard.

I feel the general belief is that we need to find a route that can protect individual rights more universally. That was what I thought the revelations in the USA had brought to the fore; the protection of those vulnerable to sex predators. That is what I had been hoping we could discuss in an open and none judgemental way.

trisher Wed 18-Oct-17 12:24:18

I haven't vilified anyone GGMK2 I simply questioned some assumptions i.e. that every woman has been harassed and that every woman tells the truth.
In the course of this I have been likened to child abusers, called childish, and accused of enabling men who abuse women and who lock women in cellars. If that is discussing in a non-judgemental way then the phrase must mean something other than I assume it to.
Oh and it has just occurred to me that I was probably harassed in my teens. I went to a co-ed grammar school and had a maths teacher who used to run his hand up and down your back when he was looking at your work. The common perception was he was feeling to see if you were wearing a bra. What was our response to this? We thought it was hilarious and made jokes about him. I suppose it should have damaged me but I can't say it did.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:32:27

I was specific when I disagreed with you alone Trisher. The post was not all in reference to you.

trisher Wed 18-Oct-17 12:35:09

So you didn't liken me to a child who had upset your daughter GGMK2 ?

GracesGranMK2 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:34:34

No. I didn't 'liken you' to that silly little girl. I asked you, as an adult, if the intentions of your very strange comment were the same. You really only needed to tell me what that comment was all about but you chose not too. Your decision.

I have looked back at the personal comments made about me and could, as you seem to be doing, go through each one, twist what was said and try and make out it is a real issue.

The victims of this man had real issues; a few people frustrated by the opacity of your posts and their seeming aim to dictate to others, is not an issue. It is simply something to report if you feel it is not within the GN rules.

trisher Wed 18-Oct-17 14:41:03

I have only ever reported one post GGMK2 and that was because it was a racist remark. I prefer to argue my own corner and to do so without resorting to irrelevant, personal or other emotive remarks. Do list personal remarks I have made if you wish or report me.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:51:45

That is your preference trisher but you are still making this all about you and not about the women who were abused. I am now thinking of that silly little girl striving for attention again.

Momof3 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:16:09

So me of the comments on here are a little disturbing maybe read this, I think it goes past a man 'who's a bit of a letch"

www.facebook.com/Vox/posts/777652605755677

Momof3 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:19:43

I have requested my last post to be deleted as it goes back to personal Facebook page, deep apologies shows my poor tech skills ?

Iam64 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:29:52

Thanks Momof3. It goes way beyond a bit of a letch.