Gransnet forums

AIBU

Volunteers or Employees?

(67 Posts)
trisher Sat 14-Oct-17 11:00:49

I like to do things and have done quite a few different volunteer roles. I recently applied to volunteer with a local organisation but realised at my induction that if I did the task I was being shown I would effectively be taking on the same role as paid employees. In other words I was taking someone's job. I'm not going to do it and I will write explaining why but I do wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Is it now the case that volunteers are doing jobs that people should be paid to do?

Howcome Sun 15-Oct-17 11:06:39

My sister volunteers at a charity shop. They are treated as employees - Rotas, set hours, sales targets etc. Some of the older ladies don't hit their targets or want to drop their hours a bit as they get older so the charity invites them to leave in favour of the words they used were " younger, dynamic more committed resources". I think the ladies should take them to a tribunal for a pension if they are going to pension them off... cheeky organisations... it's all just become big business! I avoid charities like the plague now, they have got greedy wanting everything for nothing. I didn't mind helping charities out but even for a good cause profiteering is wrong.

icanhandthemback Sun 15-Oct-17 11:12:45

I have done voluntary work for a Charity and when I saw the "job" specification, I couldn't believe how much they wanted from their volunteers. They also wanted someone who had the same health condition the Charity was highlighting which, when you consider how debilitating the condition is, seems crazy. Needless to say, volunteers come, struggle for a bit and then move on. Each one needs training and it seems an incredible waste of resources to work this way.

Moocow Sun 15-Oct-17 11:21:11

I've done vounteering for many years only to find recently they have started to employ a small team to supplement the work I and others have been doing as they realise it's so vital. Needless to say we are all backing away now. Why they couldn't be upfront with us I don't know. Ever since the London Olympics I've longed for one of those useless surveys to be carried out on the hours of volunteering that are being undertaken, which areas, and how much it is helping to keep things going, etc. You know the kind of survey I mean, the ones that tell you what you already know!

MaggieMay60 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:37:36

Library cuts have meant that most libraries are only able to stay open because of the goodwill of the volunteers. My local library has a dedicated team of volunteers who each take it in turns to do 2 hours shelving a day, without them the service simply could not continue to operate as the staffing is at a minimum - where there once was a team of 4 now there is just the one, who can often be spotted running from one side of the library to the other to answer the phone, helping people on computers and another 101 things she is expected to do alone now as the powers that be make the savings.

moobox Sun 15-Oct-17 11:44:02

The museum I help at used to have 2 full time professionals and assistant coverage the week. Now they have about 1 and a half staff, so in a way volunteers are covering what used to be paid work. As a volunteer however, I can go home at the end of an activity or shift, I can just sign up for once in a month if I want to, and, whilst being a highly reliable person, I can opt out if something else comes up, subject to giving due notice. I wouldn't regard it as volunteering if I was required to do a certain number of hours a week, though I notice other volunteers often put in a lot of hours or take charge of the whole museum as key holders. Each type of volunteer can be useful, for example I have an education role that the key holders don't, and am useful during the sessions I do pick and choose from. Sometimes it would perhaps be helpful of more volunteers said no to demands, rather than be a martyr to them, and then more onus would be on the organisation to cover more effectively,

kittylester Sun 15-Oct-17 11:48:14

When our village Library was threatened with closure we set up a management committee and took it on. The library is completely volunteer run but would have closed otherwise and the staff moved or made redundant. I would rather have a volunteer run library than no library at all.

I used to volunteer for the Witness Service and our job was to support victims and witnesses in trials. We received good training but spent our days, mostly, sitting chatting - not cost effective for a paid member of staff.

Moocow Sun 15-Oct-17 12:41:47

I try to make volunteers aware of how sad but grateful for the time they give in places like our library. Surely witness service volunteering must be vital to those who need it though kittylester?

quizqueen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:44:46

Big international charities like Oxfam are more than happy to use volunteers so they can continue to pay their directors £250,000 a year salary. I wouldn't give them a second of my time or a penny of my money. I only support small local charities so I know where the money is going.

jenpax Sun 15-Oct-17 12:46:42

Citizens Advice are mainly staffed by skilled volunteers we do not receive Government funding and are reliant on donations and grants to operate. If we did not have people willing to take on these skilled roles unpaid then we would not be able to operate! In many towns we are the only source of free legal information available to people and we assist many of the most vulnerable and impoverished in our communities. It’s all very well saying these jobs should be for paid staff but in the case of charities where will the money come from!

DotMH1901 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:04:05

I volunteer for a local charity that is working to bring a Grade Two listed building that was formerly a Working Man's Institute back into use by the community. There is only one person who is salaried and that is the Project Officer. Without the volunteers it just wouldn't be happening. I think it is the bigger charities who see volunteers as 'money saving' because they don't have to pay them - smaller charities like the animal rescue groups and the charity I work with desperately need volunteers because they are operating on a tiny budget to begin with. I also have an issue with just how much the Director(s) of the bigger charities get paid - do they really need this? There must be equally good and capable people who have retired who could do the job for much less (if not for free as a volunteer themselves)

eazybee Sun 15-Oct-17 13:06:21

I campaign for our local library and work to prevent it closing, but I would not work as a volunteer because that would be replacing a paid employee. The local authority needed to make drastic savings because they had hugely overspent (millions) replacing the central library, and proposed to pay for it by closing all the branch libraries.

kittylester Sun 15-Oct-17 13:53:46

As I said, sad that the librarians are no longer employed but our village library is so well used that it would be cutting off our own noses to let it close. I'm no longer involved but it is a constant battle to raise the funds to keep it open.

Witness Service was vital and sitting around chatting was a huge part of our role. I was a natural. grin

I still do that helping deliver Carer's courses for the Alzheimer's Society.

pinkjj27 Sun 15-Oct-17 14:06:55

I have three volunteer positions well its two now, the two I do now are about supporting people. One where I support young people who have been abused and the other I work in a hospice. I feel like \I am putting something back and the experiences I have had and what I went through can be used to help others. I also feel by supporting people with cancer means my husbands death wasn't meaningless, ( if you know what I mean,) I feel valued and I do only what I feel able to. Three years ago I worked in a charity shop for a famous charity beginning with a B that supports children. Frankly for the three years I worked for them I was treated like dirt.I also work full time in my paid role, so I used to go in weekends and summer holidays and half terms, But I was always being asked to do more take a day off my paid work take a holiday or go sick they were always on at me to do to do more they used a lot of pressure to make me feel guilty. The paid employers used to go off for coffee and a fag leave me to run the shop. Nasty jobs were stored up for me they would laugh and say h we have a lovely little job for you that no one else will do!! They would go off shopping. and leave me In charge It was a standard joke that when I was in they could have a day off. ( I have management skills) It was clicky and they would have staff outings for the paid staff only. There was a lot of bullying and bitchiness which I some times was in the line for but it was mostly aimed at anyone different such as gay or ethnic diversity, There seem to be little charity and most people that worked there were working there to find bargains or people on community service who had no choice. When my husband got ill with cancer and I wanted to change my days the manageress said I was selfish letting the team down and I should pick my proprieties so I did I choose my husband and left. While I was working there I did alert head office to the goings on but they just paid lip service to it and said as people were volunteers they had no rights and were free to leave !! There they had a big staff meeting about why they had no volunteers and ideas about attracting them and keeping them I contributed by saying perhaps don't bully them and I was promptly told this wasn't helpful. !!! My husband died but I would never go back and to this day I am still hurt by it. They used me and I was never valued I wont donate to that charity anymore.

Moocow Sun 15-Oct-17 14:19:09

pinkjj27 you are not alone in your experience and not alone within that particular charity if it is the one I am thinking og. Not my own experience of them but a friend, who now feels exactly as you do. Of course her experience has it has reflected where those of us who know about it choose to go.

pinkjj27 Sun 15-Oct-17 14:26:48

Moocow Thank you for that I sometimes wonder if it was just me !!

HillyN Sun 15-Oct-17 14:31:18

I am astonished that volunteers can be 'required' to do set hours, take fixed breaks etc! Surely the whole point of doing a job voluntarily is that you choose when you can turn up? If the person in charge is not paying you, they have no right to tell you how to organise your time.
I volunteer at the local primary school, hearing children read and giving one-to-one support to boost slow readers' progress. I liaise with their class teacher over a suitable time slot, but if I can't do it one week I just tell them I won't be available! They are very grateful and I get a lovely card from the pupils and teachers thanking me at the end of the year, in addition to the joy of watching the children blossom.

pinkjj27 Sun 15-Oct-17 14:51:03

I was once In town late night shopping at Christmas. |I got a text form the manageress it said i want a word with you ASAP. When I went to see her she told me off because I had told her i was unable to do the late opening for Christmas due to night classes ( I do teach evening classes but not every eve.) She said i was required to do at least two evenings and I had signed that in my contract.I knew i had not and I didn't let her push me around but a lot of the polish and Thai girls were very passive and used to do it despite having kids. The paid employers never did those hours. The area manger wore designer clothes had flash gadgets and drove a flash sports car and all he ever did was drink coffee and make sexist comment . However as I have said the other two organisations treat me like gold.

glammanana Sun 15-Oct-17 14:51:40

pinkjj27 It is not just you it happens so often I found it within the ranks of senior management when I ran a shop until the beginning of this year vols where bullied and spoken to as if they didn't know what they where doing,disgraceful.

NannyMargaret48 Sun 15-Oct-17 14:55:17

After I retired, I volunteered at a busy high street charity shop. They had one paid employee. When she discovered that I was a capable person, she began off loading her duties onto me so she could go off and play golf. I left. I now volunteer at our local hospital's coffee shop with a brilliant and committed bunch of people.

pinkjj27 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:09:38

A lot of volunteers were actually very vulnerable people with a lot of special needs or very physically disabled. I was always to be kind tolerant and patient. however I also question the ethics behind using such vulnerable people because they weren't being supported or encouraged or trained. I was ashamed of the way they were treated and raised this more than once with head office. They were not tolerated and the manageress would call them names and say I want to rota them on on my days off. I would point out her name calling was against the law but she just laugh at me. I wasn't the typical volunteer and while they were happy to use that and leave me to it they hated that I knew about policy's. and I had no problems with articulating my feelings, and standing up for others.

trisher Sun 15-Oct-17 15:41:23

Thanks for all the comments. It does seem that the world of volunteering is much more complicated than I realised and some people seem to have had awful experiences. Small charities seem to be theist at looking after volunteers so I think I may look at them.

Barmyoldbat Sun 15-Oct-17 16:55:56

Edits not all bad, there are some decent people who value their staff. When looking for a volunteer job I went for an interview and was told I would be doing certain days and times and that she expected me to be on time, well dressed and keep to my days. I didn't stay for the full interview I just picked up my bag and said no thanks and walked out.

M0nica Sun 15-Oct-17 17:25:34

I think there is an inclination for those who have had bad experiences to post more than those who have been happy volunteering.

Over 20 years I have volunteered with three charities and, while none of them were perfect most of the little niggles arose from paid employees being overworked and being expected to do too much.

I cannot work regular hours or days and I have had no difficulty finding voluntary work that can accommodate this. Most of the time I have worked as a home visiting caseworker because I can make decisions about how many clients I take on and when I can visit them, providing I make the first visit within a fortnight of taking the case on.

MagicWriter2016 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:33:53

I was shocked when a local charity shop looking for volunteers told folk to apply for an application form! I always assumed volunteers would contact the shop, or whatever, go in for a chat and a decision would be made accommodating both parties. Unless of course, it was for something like The Samaritans or other organisations that needed to provide specific training, police checks and so on. I find it disgusting the amount of pay the top people get in some of these structures and the paltry amount that actually goes to the charity, that it definitely puts me off supporting them. I prefer now to support small local charities.

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Oct-17 19:41:52

I’m sure most volunteers are treated well, and so they should be. But every time I go into one of our local charity shops I cringe at the way the manager (I assume) bosses the other staff/volunteers about. She’s very loud and abrasive and has very precise ideas about how things should be displayed (after the display’s been done, so it has to be done again). The customers aren’t spoken too much better. I wouldn’t last two minutes. grin