Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am bit cross

(81 Posts)
louli Wed 18-Oct-17 14:07:51

So I did a post on my Facebook yesterday about something I went to earlier in the week. It got a few nice likes and comments but one person pointed out I had missed out an apostrophe in one bit. First of all does it really matter that much? And secondly isn't it rude to do that even if she is right? It's only an apostrophe after all

louli Mon 23-Oct-17 09:45:46

Yes you are right - typos and autocorrect to add to our own misdemeanours

Theoddbird Fri 20-Oct-17 19:03:53

I am going to buy one of the mugs...brilliant.

Menopaws Fri 20-Oct-17 18:24:01

I hate bad grammar, spelling etc but it has to be understood that when anything is typed on social sites it is generally speed or 'fat finger syndrome' which we all suffer from and is therefore acceptable as far as I'm concerned. It is far more important on public signs, leaflets, magazines etc

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 16:34:20

Yes, correcting another person for a grammar mistake or a spelling mistake is very rude.It happens in lots of places, including GN.Some have no social awareness.

Aslemma Fri 20-Oct-17 16:30:06

There is a very good reason for the rules in grammar, including the apostrophy and the standard of spelling is often appalling, but I would never point it out to someone on FB, although I might make an answering comment, using the incorrect word properly spelt. I have no problem with people not knowing the plural for words such as gymnasium as not many of us were taught Latin at school.

NannyJ1ll Fri 20-Oct-17 09:52:55

My smiley didn't work! How do you all manage to do them?

NannyJ1ll Fri 20-Oct-17 09:51:12

First time poster here (I'm a secret lurker and often smile at posts - or ooh and ahh with the best of them). I'm an editor/proofreader and author, so I interact on social media a fair bit - and wince regularly (my DD sometimes asks if I've developed a tic). However, I would never, ever, correct punctuation, spelling, grammar etc. uninvited. As others have said, autocorrect can be a plague, fat fingers and small phones don't help, and - at the end of the day - it's social media, so does it really matter? I'll carry on silently twitching until they become a client... :D

annodomini Fri 20-Oct-17 09:42:23

As a school governor, I used to have to read job applications from teachers. There was rarely a letter free of errors, and that included English teachers. sad

MesMopTop Fri 20-Oct-17 08:47:46

Once read a nice little sentence illustrating the importance of the comma. Made me chuckle. I love my parents Kermitt the Frog and Miss Piggy. Other version, I love my parents, Kermitt the Frog and Miss Piggy. ?

Saggi Fri 20-Oct-17 08:34:41

How rood those peeples r hoo
correct uthers’’’ gramma and sintax and speling.Bad enuff havin spel chekers’ss spiing on us.

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Oct-17 08:26:27

I agree it’s very rude to correct other people, but I do silently judge. grin

The main problem with correcting others is that you would never, ever, be allowed to make a mistake yourself.

meandashy Fri 20-Oct-17 08:17:42

On your own FB feed of course you are free to use whatever speech you like, grammatically incorrect or not!
What I find unforgivable are the grammatical inaccuracies in official written news articles! angry

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Oct-17 07:33:16

Thank you for the it's / its explanation earlier, I had got it the right way round (or should that be around?) , my iPad seems to be set to random correction.

There are so many traps such as bare and bear in the English language which make for comic reading but usually the meaning is still quite clear. An apostrophe can make a difference to the meaning of a sentence so I do try to get it right, but probably often fail. I wouldn't correct anyone as it'd be too embarrassing - especially if I was proved wrong.

Grandma70s Thu 19-Oct-17 20:11:52

I agree with Hm999’s post. I do think it matters, but it’s probably better not to correct anyone except one’s children. I hope anyone who is corrected would learn from it, even if they do feel offended.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Oct-17 19:30:58

I like the OP, so understated grin

^*I am a bit cross^*

Hm999 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:22:54

To answer the OP, yes I think it is important that people write to the best of their ability (and pronounce things properly too). It might not cost us a job in the future, but it may cost our children/grandchildren.
But yes, unless these two are incredibly close, I think it is rude to correct other people's grammar. And yes, it irritates me when people say 'you and I' when it's the object of the sentence and should be 'you and me'.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:13:39

or should that be beetroots? hmm
or even beetroot's?

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:13:11

whitewave I can't see any grammatical errors in your post wink

I would go and pull up the beetroot which are languishing in the garden but it's raining. Does JR provide waterproofs too?

Would home-grown cooking apples keep well in a Chester Draws?

MawBroon Thu 19-Oct-17 16:58:26

Bluebelle surely its a “Chester draws” grin
It’s when the likes of estate agents invite me to “bare with them” that I wonder if they truly know who they are addressing gringrin

Serkeen Thu 19-Oct-17 16:54:43

she must have a lot of time on her hands

Ignore it smile

Tessa101 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:43:22

Totally agree with coconut on this. If we feel we want to post something on GN surely we don’t want to worry about being scrutinised for our grammar. Love the caption mug.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Oct-17 16:24:22

I get inwardly annoyed when on fb I see people asking if they are aloud to post whilst selling a chest of draws it’s like a nail scratch on a blackboard but I d never say anything to them so yes I think it’s pretty rude

Diddy1 Thu 19-Oct-17 16:02:05

Agree with everyone who says it is rude to correct grammar on FB or GN. Dont worry Louli you arent alone, there are many mistakes made even with the auto check, just ignore these rude people.

TellNo1Ok Thu 19-Oct-17 13:57:54

I find many grammatical errors mildly irritating but feel that FB is a COMMUNICATION opportunity and not a SAT's test...
neither would i be so rude as to point out other people's errors...
not my job...

mind you, as a retired teacher i do sometimes wonder if i wasted all my time teaching grammar .... smile

Elrel Thu 19-Oct-17 13:54:59

OP - that person needs to get a life
Pensionpat - I love the Literary Gift Company. They do 'Go away I'm Reading' mugs in several languages including Welsh in both NW and SW versions!