Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am bit cross

(80 Posts)
louli Wed 18-Oct-17 14:07:51

So I did a post on my Facebook yesterday about something I went to earlier in the week. It got a few nice likes and comments but one person pointed out I had missed out an apostrophe in one bit. First of all does it really matter that much? And secondly isn't it rude to do that even if she is right? It's only an apostrophe after all

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:14:07

Oooh!
Hanging offence here especially on Pedants’ (note that? ) Corner
gringrin

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:15:50

What you need is one of these

Greyduster Wed 18-Oct-17 14:18:57

“It’s only an apostrophe after all”??? ?‍♀️ The queue for the slippery slope forms on the left, folks.....

Greyduster Wed 18-Oct-17 14:19:58

Where can I get one of those mugs, Maw? grin

glammanana Wed 18-Oct-17 14:20:19

I think it's rude to comment but to some people it is the be all and end all of their lives to point out mistakes like this,I for one am not perfect with my English and don't pretend to be so but others are so so precise.
Ignore them and carry on with your own way of posting and hope the person who commented can find something more interesting to post about.

Imperfect27 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:25:58

Just be yourself - if that is possible in the world of Facebook.grin

Yes, errant apostrophes do seem to matter an inordinate amount to some. If you were writing a formal letter it might be quite helpful for a dear friend to proof read (if you asked them to) , but as it was FB, just seems unnecessary and bordering on rude to my mind.

Tin hat on ...

MissAdventure Wed 18-Oct-17 14:26:52

Some people seem to just enjoy putting others down. It says more about them than the person they're admonishing.

gmelon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:49:42

If this person is more interested in your grammar than the content of your post on facebook then "unfriend" is the answer to her/his rudeness.

morethan2 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:11:47

I don’t blame you for being annoyed. It’s rude and it’s as bad as correcting someone’s speech. Facebook and other forums are informal. I’d unfriend her too, but not before telling her why.

louli Wed 18-Oct-17 15:12:25

Thank you I am glad it is not just me

ninathenana Wed 18-Oct-17 15:29:10

If I corrected all the mistakes I spot on FB including those from the pages of my news feed not just people's comments, I wouldn't have time to post anything else ! Some of the comments are pure gobbledygook due to a complete lack of correct spelling or grammar.
It's FB who cares

Bluegal Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:00

Made me laugh! Who is this person? FB police?

I am generally good at English Language and spot mistakes where others don't (work communications from above for example) but on FB? seriously? I know I do similar; like its instead of it's! I use text lingo sometimes (even though I am well aware of how it should be spelt. Is she a close friend or teacher and was maybe trying to be humorous? If not, get rid! We aren't at school now lol

annodomini Wed 18-Oct-17 16:45:39

As an old-fashioned grammarian, I find my blood pressure rising at such errors, but when I was teaching mature students, I used to say, 'If in doubt, leave it out' because I'd rather see no apostrophe than an apostrophe in the wrong place - the 'greengrocer's apostrophe'! However, it's downright rude to correct grammar and punctuation on FB or on Gransnet for that matter.

pensionpat Wed 18-Oct-17 18:03:57

Grey duster. The mug is from The Literary Gift Company. I bought one for my teacher DIL which said "don't make me use my teacher voice ". They have lots of witty gifts such as Lady Macbeth soap.

Iam64 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:07:31

I love those Literary Gift Company gifts. I plan to get the teacher voice one for one of our adult children - yes, a teacher

Iam64 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:08:38

Oh yes I meant to comment in support of the OP. It's good to be a bit cross, rather than a bit humiliated, which presumably is the aim of the FB police person.

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Oct-17 18:26:19

I thought I'd got the hang of its and it's but my spell checker keeps disagreeing with me. Can someone please explain it again?

Skweek1 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:10:09

Just point out that you agree with GBS and that you have decided to ban the apostrophe from your writing style! Like the mug - will look at the site; thanks, pensionpat.

Nelliemaggs Thu 19-Oct-17 10:13:21

It's an annoying thing but the computer has its own mind. However I have to say that the sentence above is correct and auto check put in the apostrophe for me.
I think it's very rude to point out incorrect usage when we have to watch what autocheck is up to and it's very easy not to notice what it has done.
I love that mug MawBroon and I will definitely have a look at the Literary Gift Company with half the family having birthdays between now and that other time that we buy multiple gifts.

Anniesammi Thu 19-Oct-17 10:14:36

That's me, though I don't always do it silently! Love the mug, do they do tee shirts also?!

Anya Thu 19-Oct-17 10:39:41

Oh dear! I’m always judging people on FB by their/there/they’re poor grammar but never say anything (well except in reply to one awful racist remark and let’s admit it, racists are fair/fare game)

But I sometimes wonder if it might actually be a kindness to give adults a hint to look a their grammar and perhaps rectify errors that date back to their school days when they didn’t quite ‘get it’.

Jane43 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:39:45

NfkDumpling - only use “it’s” as a shortened form of “it is”. “Its” means belonging to “it” so no apostrophe is needed.

ExaltedWombat Thu 19-Oct-17 10:53:32

There's little logic behind omitting the apostrophe from 'its', which is the possessive of 'it'. In fact, 'its' is 'it's' possessive. But it is so.
If picking up a grammatical mistake is rude, picking up someone who picks up a grammatical mistake is ever ruder.

Grampie Thu 19-Oct-17 10:56:58

Datum here.

...when will those data respect the fact that I’m the one that is single?