Gransnet forums

AIBU

BT......I'm losing the will to live ?

(53 Posts)
Marmight Mon 30-Oct-17 21:48:12

Apologies in advance for length of moan!
I completed on the purchase of a new property last week and move in tomorrow. At the end of September I put in an order with BT for a new phone number, Wi-Fi and TV service to commence on 24th October the day my existing line was transferred to my buyer. Since then I have had at least 12 messages from their 'office' in India, umpteen phone calls to say my order has been cancelled and each time another one made. The TV order has completely disappeared as has the Wi-Fi. I have asked numerous times to speak to someone UK based to no avail until this morning when, eureka, I spoke to a lovely lady in Lincoln who tut tutted and promised faithfully that the investigation department would, erm, investigate the appalling service I have received and get back to me by 9pm. Well it's now 9.35 and why am I not surprised!. I've been a customer for well over 40 years and so much for loyalty. Question is - who do I transfer my allegiance to now? Any suggestions....?

Lupatria Tue 31-Oct-17 10:47:45

i was with sky for tv and with bt for phone and broadband up until about 4 years ago.
fed up with what bt called service so transferred to sky - have had no problems ever since (she says with crossed fingers touching wood).

Tessa101 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:04:57

Sky all the way never had any issues with there services... I’ve got TV broadband and phone. Always get good customer service always do what they say they will do.

toscalily Tue 31-Oct-17 11:07:59

Marmight I was in a very similar position to you a few years ago and BT were truly terrible. I had booked the transfer well in advance but then at the last minute for some obscure reason the order was cancelled. I spent hours on the phone to overseas call centres, was given many promises of what would happen & when but in the end was without phone & broadband for three weeks. It was made worse by the problem of being in a black spot for mobile use so communication was difficult to say the least. As soon as I could I transferred to Sky which went without a hitch, very efficient and courteous customer service. I will never use BT again after that experience and I had been a customer for quite a number of years.

Cagsy Tue 31-Oct-17 11:22:35

Anya we've been advised that our internet speed is slower than it should be as our PCs are a few years old now and not actually able to access/process any faster. Not sure about our ipads and iphones, don't know how you check speed on them. Must say we are very happy with Virgin, always had good service.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 31-Oct-17 11:23:19

There is competition out their amongst those who want our money.Providers of services that we cannot or do not want to be without, and we have no alternative unless we want to live in caves, take us for granted
I have recently changed my home insurer who I have been with when I purchased the property I live in 21 year ago. They decided to up their premium in my opinion a way out of proportion amount. I shopped around and hey ho I got a better price as well as no strings attached which my previous provider had decided to introduce.

pollyperkins Tue 31-Oct-17 11:37:39

We are with BT and havent had any problems

cc Tue 31-Oct-17 11:43:41

I wouldn't touch BT with a bargepole after months of waiting for them to sort out my broadband. They claimed it was fine but it turned out that it wasn't activated. I'm with Sky too now, paying a low lump sum for all my calls at any time with cheaper line rental and broadband. I don't think that the broadband speed is much affected by who you use, the local box for the super fast broadband is some way away and was connected to our house through the "old wires" so it was really barely any faster and we went back to the slower version. Different if you have proper "cable" obviously, but not available here, though we had it in London many years ago.

Kim19 Tue 31-Oct-17 12:14:57

I've always understood that Plusnet was a part of BT. Would someone out there please enlighten me?

tigger Tue 31-Oct-17 12:31:41

Had the same problem when we moved, it took six months to resolve and that was years ago, nothing has changed. You won't get to the top by telephone, you really will have to jump up and down by e-mail to get someone sensible.

NanaRayna Tue 31-Oct-17 12:37:08

Kim19 Google says BT bought it in January 2007, but it continues to function as a separate entity.
So - yes, you are right. smile

jusnoneed Tue 31-Oct-17 12:38:24

I always believed it to be Kim, but it's much cheaper and so far all my dealings have been with English people and easy to contact.
I pay £12.99 for unlimited fibre BB (BT was heading towards £20 when I switched) and pay in advance line rental to get that cheaper. I could have calls for £5 per month but don't bother as we rarely use the landline, have only gone more than that twice in all the time I've been with them. We have three computers, two ipads, Xbox and smart TV. Films are watched, games are played.

We cannot get Sky BB here unless we pay full whack, none of their offers are available in this area - we asked last time we did the yearly cancel/renewal dance with them.
Virgin TV not available here either.

grannytotwins Tue 31-Oct-17 12:40:09

I had a very complicated move. We had to move out a month before we completed on our purchase and sofa surfed. The house we were buying fell through five days before moving day and we had to buy another. BT were brilliant as I had the account on hold, then transferred from one new address to another. They even gave me a new customer deal at a vastly reduced rate for the next six months. I used their dedicated house move number. Everyone was in the UK and couldn’t have been more helpful. I think you have just been unlucky, unless I was exceptionally lucky.

meandashy Tue 31-Oct-17 13:09:59

I've stuck with Virgin for years. Yes they have price hiked (All my services with them, even get a better deal with mobile phones) but when I explained I could not afford the increase I got my bill reduced down to a manageable monthly amount as they don't want to lose customers. If you like the service of your provider but not the price don't be afraid to haggle!

Luckygirl Tue 31-Oct-17 16:56:43

BT are a total pain. A few years back we had trouble with our email connection - it would just drop out for no reason. So we had no choice but to talk to OpenReach (BT hardware arm) as they have a monopoly on the cable system.

They were beyond dreadful. At some pijt after about a year of trying to get some proper service from them we discovered a couple of interesting things:

- they do not tell the next engineer (you always get someone different each time) what they have done - and this is COMPANY POLICY!!! So each engineer has no idea whatever what has gone before.
- they are penalised for going over the allocated time slot - even if that results in the problem being solved!!!!

They drove us pretty mad by the time it was sorted - and what sorted it was them doing what my OH said needed doing a year before and they disagreed. Exasperating!

Luckygirl Tue 31-Oct-17 16:57:09

point!

Anniesammi Tue 31-Oct-17 17:01:28

Utility Warehouse. Great service.

sweetcakes Tue 31-Oct-17 20:16:15

Been with sky for 11 years no complaints you can keep BT

Anya Tue 31-Oct-17 21:13:50

Plusnet is owned by BT.

Anya Tue 31-Oct-17 21:17:30

Cagsy my iPad is new and my PC too.

There was a Virgin Media van down our road a couple of weeks ago, and the man was fiddling with wires, etc inside the big green box that carries all the signals and whose name escapes me. Fred?

Anyway since then it’s been dreadful. Up until them speeds of 120 mbps. .

grannybuy Tue 31-Oct-17 21:35:39

Have been with Plusnet for a few years now. They have seen us through two moves in the last eighteen months. First to a rented flat after we sold our house, then to a new build. They did what they said they'd do at the time they said, with numerous texts and e mails to keep us informed. Customer service is based in the UK, and staff always pleasant and helpful. When I needed technical support at the new house, the guy was admirably patient. It was a long call, and he didn't give up.

Luckygirl Tue 31-Oct-17 22:15:18

Phonecoop have been good for us.

Maidmarion Wed 01-Nov-17 11:31:01

Oh..... don't get me started about BT!!!! I moved to this new house last September. I'd previously requested a line to be put in...... it took THREE MONTHS!!!!! I was at my wits' end by the end of it. I'm now just moving to EE....!!!! That'll teach 'em!!!

Marmight Thu 02-Nov-17 05:16:12

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been occupied with the move for a couple of days - a case of a pint into a half pint pot! I finally got the call the next day and have someone looking into my case...but still won't get wifi for 5 working days (yet another order has to be put in) which takes me up to the 8th. I'll probably go with Plusnet eventually once I have surfaced from the move and will take great pleasure in telling BT to stick their 'service' where the sun don't shine grin

Riverwalk Thu 02-Nov-17 06:23:58

I moved to BT a couple of years ago with no trouble.

I moved because had so many problems with TalkTalk, at least with BT you do get through to someone, albeit often in India, with TT you would be kept hanging on for ages and rarely get to speak to anyone. The recorded message would include the infuriating do you know that you can visit our website where help can be found, blah blah said in a cheerful voice. That's when the swearing begins .... if I had effin' internet access to get on the effin' website I wouldn't hanging around on the phone!

When you did finally get through the excuse would always be that it was the fault of BT as they own the lines and were currently working on problems in my area.

So I thought I'd move to BT as they couldn't pass the buck!

So far, so good. By the way PlusNet is part of BT.

NfkDumpling Thu 02-Nov-17 07:59:21

Moved to Sky ten years ago after problems with BT and TV interference from diesel cars in the road outside! No problem since.

I don’t know if it’ll work with BT but ringing the Sales number generally gets straight through and they’ll either help or transfer you quickly. I agree with others that writing / emailing the CEO pays off.