Gransnet forums

AIBU

Didn't think schools were this strict these days

(150 Posts)
GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:52:04

My grandchild apparently turned up at school without their PE kit on a PE day, and was still made to do the lesson. Don't you think that is a bit much these days?

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:21:37

Wot - not even a pair of Vans?

Fennel Wed 01-Nov-17 15:18:25

Grandma70s wrote
Obviously none of you are old enough to remember the days when all girls did PE/gym in their knickers. Not that I think it’s a good thing, and certainly not right nowadays."
I remember those days too. We wore voluminous navy bloomers. No such thing as shorts then, you couldn't even make them as there was still a shortage of fabric.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:25:09

Bottle green knickers for me, yes and that inexplicable pocket.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:26:24

Has your granddaughter checked in lost property Gilly?

Grandma70s Wed 01-Nov-17 15:34:17

I believe the ‘inexplicable pocket’ in the knickers was intended for a handkerchief.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:40:08

Wouldn’t that fall out when doing handstands?

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:40:22

Or indeed cartwheels?

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 15:41:06

Yes she has Anya thank you. She knows they were stolen as they were there one minute, folded with her t-shirt, socks etc. then she went to the toilet, came back and they were gone. I asked if anyone might have seen anything but she said the changing rooms are quite busy and lots of people coming and going into and out of the doors and showers etc.

suzied Wed 01-Nov-17 15:43:47

My GD has her coat “stolen” from school last winter. Despite various searches it never turned up and we kept an eye out in case we saw another child wearing it. It turned up in the summer term at the back of a cupboard where someone had shoved it, whether that was another child or maybe a cleaner or whoever we have no idea but she did get it back 2 terms later! Without any evidence you can’t really be certain the shorts were stolen, maybe they fell out of her bag, maybe another child hid them as a “game “, who knows. They might turn up. PE teachers usually have regular kit checks, so it’s unlikely another year 7 would have stolen them to wear them surely? You could embroider her name somewhere on the shorts or mark them with permanent marker pen on the label.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 16:04:15

Thank you suzied I know children are always losing stuff at school. My little ones are forever losing gloves, hats, scarves, sweatshirts etc. but basic stuff quite easy and cheap to replace from Asda, Sainsbury's etc. She just had them in a pile one minute and when she got back from using the toilet they were gone. Yes perhaps a (nasty) prank (she got into trouble for not having them) or maybe taken I really don't know. They did have embroidered labels with her name in (as per school recommendation) but too easy to cut out.

kittylester Wed 01-Nov-17 16:10:07

Jalima - you beat me to it!!!

BBbevan Wed 01-Nov-17 16:16:14

All our PE kit had to have a chain stitched circle with our initials embroidered inside. That was 1950-60. My DD and DS had to have the same. All uniform , even socks , had to have Cash's name tapes sewn in. There were regular inspections . No one ever had anything stolen
But then we had proper cloakrooms and lockable wire lockers for PE kit and other stuff.

Willow500 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:26:12

I remember doing PE in thick grey knickers - little wonder that I used to spend games and PE lessons hiding in the dining room along with several others when we got to secondary school! I was useless at sport and felt awkward and conspicuous in front of the bigger girls who shone - I also wore thick glasses so was always terrified of getting hit with the hockey ball.

callgirl1 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:57:00

At my grammar school, shorts were for outside games lessons only, we always did PE in our knickers.

eazybee Wed 01-Nov-17 16:57:10

Grandma70s. I do, and vests allowed in winter. So much nonsense about small children not being allowed to do PE in their underwear. (There was of course the terrible day when one girl arrived in thick woolly tights, without underpants.)

NotTooOld Wed 01-Nov-17 17:10:30

Yes, it was navy knickers (with pocket) for PE and netball for me too. Only shorts for hockey and they were made of very thick itchy fabric so we hated them. I never remember anyone being embarrassed about the knickers and this was a co-ed school. I think we wore our usual knickers underneath so perhaps we thought of the navy ones more as shorts.

Auntieflo Wed 01-Nov-17 17:19:18

When DD was at school, we had to embroider a child's initials onto each piece of PE kit, as well as having the normal Cash's name tapes. ( other name tapes are available)

SueDonim Wed 01-Nov-17 17:23:24

Oh yes, doing PE in my thick cotton navy blue knickers. Ours didn't have pockets in them - I'm feeling deprived!

My mum hated me having to wear them so she bought me some white Bri-Nylon (white heat of 1960's technology!) close fitting knickers to wear underneath. Getting undressed at night was fun, as they sparked with static electricity. grin

School kit does disappear at school, ''twas ever thus. People lark about or get confused or rushed and things go astray, unfortunately.

pollyperkins Wed 01-Nov-17 19:05:20

Yes we did PE in thick ETB navy knickers - with regulation aertex 'knicker linings' underneath. We wore tgese u der gymslis for lessons but for games, including hockey in a ver public field we just wore the knickers with an aertex blouse whih had our initials embroiderd on. We didnt complain as we never wore shorts at that time, or trousers. In the 1950s!

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:20:00

Yes, I remember the horrible thick PE knickers. Mine were green! But my DGD had to do the lesson in her normal knickers for not having her kit - not PE knickers (I don't even know if they still have PE knickers these days?)

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:17:23

I just wasn't sure, and was after others' opinions, as to whether it was acceptable in this day and age for kids to be doing PE lessons in their underwear?

LazyMail Thu 02-Nov-17 10:19:26

Best idea is to write the name in indelible ink on the hem or waist band. Labels are too easy for a thief. Search online for laundry permanent marker

MinniesMum Thu 02-Nov-17 10:26:27

We got lucky when DGD started school. My DIL was complaining that embroidered labels were expensive. I went through my sewing box and found a packet of Cash's labels left over from when my DS was at school. They have the same initial and, of course, surname so I took them down. We had a happy afternoon sewing them in and she was really thrilled. DGD was tickled pink that she was wearing Daddy's name labels in her clothes.

gillybob Thu 02-Nov-17 10:35:02

They're too easy to unpick though MinniesMum . My DGD has these sewn into everything but as others have suggested best to embroider the garment itself.

Crazygran Thu 02-Nov-17 10:35:18

Rules are rules and not meant to be broken. That is why so many children have little or no respect these days !