Gransnet forums

AIBU

Didn't think schools were this strict these days

(149 Posts)
GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 11:52:04

My grandchild apparently turned up at school without their PE kit on a PE day, and was still made to do the lesson. Don't you think that is a bit much these days?

Marydoll Wed 01-Nov-17 11:54:03

I think you will find that is what happens in most schools.
PE is as much a part of the curriculum as maths, language etc.

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:00:57

Yes, I agree. But with no kit???!

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 12:01:07

My 11 year old DGD's secondary school is rather brutal when it comes to uniform/PE kits etc. Detentions/isolations given out for the tiniest reasons. She only started in September and someone has stolen her PE shorts (they were named but they would just unpick the name tag) She is really tiny for her age so she knows it was probably only one of a couple of (smaller) girls who has taken them. The school are totally unsympathetic told her she must take more care (????) and made her do PE yesterday in a pair of 30 inch waist shorts that she had to safety pin to her top to keep up. She loves PE and all sports but was unhappy to be made to wear these enormous and very smelly old shorts. I have ordered her a new pair again today (£18 a pair) but not sure how you can stop the theft of uniform.

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:03:50

made her do PE yesterday in a pair of 30 inch waist shorts
At least she was given a pair of shorts to wear!

Imperfect27 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:04:35

Hi, as a former teacher, no, I do not think that it is unreasonable or 'too strict' to make children wear a borrowed kit for P.E. if they forget their own.

IF a parent sends a note stating that the child is unable to do PE then they will sit out the lesson, usually with some work to do in a.n.other classroom. Class teachers do generally check in case the parent has forgotten to write in if a child comes without their kit and expecting not to take part for a health reason, but teachers do keep spare kits and it is an expectation that all children do take part if they are well and able.

There are children who dislike P.E. who will purposefully forget their kit / hide it to try to get out of taking part. Sometimes children feel self conscious about getting changed in front of others and culturally, i.e. in the travelling community, we are sometimes asked to provide separate changing arrangements even for young boys and girls. If a child does want to change in private i.e. go to the toilet area, this can be facilitated.

However, P.E. and the health benefits it brings are seen as very important and the government requires schools to provide 2 hours of PE at primary level every week.

I am always surprised when parents do not encourage their children to do PE, but I think it is right that schools actively work to facilitate every child being involved.

If you have a child who is reluctant to take part, then the reason/s why should be investigated.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 12:05:06

She is about the size of an average 7 year old GinAndTonic so would be like a size 10 woman being given a pair of size 22 knickers!

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:13:17

She is about the size of an average 7 year old GinAndTonic so would be like a size 10 woman being given a pair of size 22 knickers!
Ha! But she's lucky she got given shorts to wear! More than mine did!

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 12:30:01

OFGS. sorry for trying to have a conversation GinAndTonic . If yo are suggesting/saying that the school made him/her do PE in his/her underclothes then I would make an official complaint. However as pointed out by Imperfect some children deliberately turn up without their kit in the hope of getting out of PE. I wonder if you DGC has done this a few times before? Just asking so don't jump down my throat.

My DGD is one of the most sporty children you could meet and she would hate missing PE. My point was how do you stop the theft of PE kit? she turned up with everything but someone stole her shorts from under her nose!

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:35:39

OFGS. sorry for trying to have a conversation GinAndTonic .
Sorry! Didn't mean to come across like that!

If yo are suggesting/saying that the school made him/her do PE in his/her underclothes then I would make an official complaint.
That's what did happen. Do you think my DD should be making a complaint?
And £18 is not cheap for a pair of shorts - does your DGD's school have special branded stuff?

vampirequeen Wed 01-Nov-17 12:36:44

Can you clarify? Was he made to do PE in his uniform or in his underwear? Thanks

GinAndTonic01 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:39:15

Was he made to do PE in his uniform or in his underwear?
Underwear

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 12:43:12

Don’t think it’s unressinable. Otherwise you’ll have half the class bunking off PE. Ought to have had a spare pair in lost property though.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 12:52:56

I would be horrified to think my little granddaughter was made to do PE in her knickers ! Just the sort of thing a bully would use against her for the rest of her school life! So would definitely complain. Some teachers can be cruel and heartless (unless of course a child does this on a regular basis in order to try and bunk off PE). My DGD was given a "spare pair" to use but she couldn't keep them up and she said they were stinky. My point is that she did have her full kit but some little scumbag stole her shorts. £18 is expensive for shorts but they have to be the proper ones with the school logo on them and they are only available from one supplier. Turns out we are having to pay a further £3.50 for guaranteed next day deliver too. Grrrrrr.

Marydoll Wed 01-Nov-17 12:55:54

As a teacher, I'm horrified that a child was made to do PE in their underwear. I find that humiliating for the child.
I would certainly contact the school and ask them to look into it.

Imperfect27 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:01:22

GinandTonic I don't think it at all appropriate for your GC to have been made to do P.E. in their underwear and I do think you have a right to complain.

BBbevan Wed 01-Nov-17 13:05:11

We always kept several pairs of shorts and tops at school for those that had " forgotten" their PE kit, again !

vampirequeen Wed 01-Nov-17 13:07:41

No child should be made to do PE in his or her underwear. That is totally unacceptable and should be reported to the school.

We had a 'spare' kit box. It was full of the worst kits you could imagine.....colour and style wise. It was no surprise that the children tended to wear them only once or twice. What self respecting child would want to wear lime green shorts with an orange top or electric pink shorts and top. They were very creased and we let the children think they had never been washed for years but actually I took them home every couple of weeks and freshened them up.

If we knew a child didn't have a kit because of poor parenting or poverty we would make sure they had a nice kit that had been donated when outgrown. This was done secretly so no one except the teacher and the child knew. The kit would be kept where the child could easily get it and, yes, I took it home and washed/ironed it.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 13:33:43

As it should be vampirequeen . well done your school.

My DGD's school has a very strict uniform code and it is the cost of replacement that concerns me, especially after only 2 months of being in the school.

Grandma70s Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:36

Obviously none of you are old enough to remember the days when all girls did PE/gym in their knickers. Not that I think it’s a good thing, and certainly not right nowadays.

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 13:40:09

I'm 55 and I can remember doing PE in my all girls grammar school in the 70's wearing a tee shirt and navy knickers. I was a skinny Minnie at school but it was horrible for those bigger girls and quite cruel but at least there were no boys around to gawp at us. A couple of pervy (female) teachers though.

vampirequeen Wed 01-Nov-17 13:45:10

I think that secondary schools need to reconsider the costs of their uniforms. It took money from parents, step parents, grandparents and godmother to kit out DH's daughter for school this September. PE kits are ridiculous. Why do they need to have the school logo on every item?

vampirequeen Wed 01-Nov-17 13:47:31

I did PE in navy shorts and a white artex blouse every lesson regardless of the weather. Now I can see the point of tracksuit bottoms because I wouldn't wish bare legs and snow on anyone but do they have to be so expensive. Surely navy/black tracksuits would do.

Jane10 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:50:22

Oh yes. Those navy knickers with the inexplicable pocket on them. God how I hated Gym!

gillybob Wed 01-Nov-17 14:15:34

I know the reason that many schools use these exclusive suppliers VQ is that the schools get a percentage of the takings back. More and more schools are signing up as they can make a tidy sum.