Gransnet forums

AIBU

should childhood possessions be removed?

(95 Posts)
twiggy Fri 03-Nov-17 15:51:31

My husband and I have two sons and one daughter, each of whom have accumulated lots of things over the years, as you do. Now that they've all moved out and taken the vast majority of their things with them, we noted that there are a few boxes left over. Their childhood toys, old school books, children's books, their first instruments and so on. Not too much, and definitely too full of sentimental value to bin.

We're moving to a smaller house soon - not much smaller, lots of attic room still - and my husband and I have come to an impasse. He insists that they're all grown up now and can take the rest of their things to their own houses.

I argue that only one of them actually has a whole house - the other two are at university and living in a shared house with limited space. We have a whole attic we can keep their things in, and to be truthful I like having it all there for nostalgic value.

My question is, is it normal for adult children to have to remove all traces of their things from the family home once they leave? Did you let them leave some things?

ElaineI Fri 03-Nov-17 22:43:57

I would keep it and get them to go through it and decide what they want to keep - before you move. The one with the house can take their things but I don't think the ones at uni could do that so I would keep it till they have a house. Our DC toys and books are now being recycled as DGC grow into them eg. doll's pram, dollies, marbles, Roald Dahl books, duplo. I love it!

Willow500 Sat 04-Nov-17 05:56:58

I not only have some of my sons' stuff (mostly the younger one) in the loft and various cupboards I also have quite a lot of my mum's which I couldn't part with - her school books, 21st cards from 1941 and a full set of encyclopaedias from when she was a child which are very battered but sentimental as I remember pouring over the pictures when I was a child. As the youngest now lives on the other side of the world I'm pretty sure he won't be taking his army memorabilia or school books back when he's here next month but as he's bringing his own two small boys to his family home for the first time I'm pretty sure he'll want to rummage through anything he might find for them to look at.

Menopaws Sat 04-Nov-17 07:27:14

Can't believe your MIL Granny23! What a shame for your husband. Sometimes it's not so much about the storage but as already said, the rummage through for overseas children as each time they return their lives have moved on so they see their possessions differently and either definitely do or don't want it. The 18 year old will never think they will want My Little Pony for their own children but the 28 year old will

Baggs Sat 04-Nov-17 08:10:27

A friend of mine said his mother contacted him when she was arranging to move house and told him if he wanted to keep anything of his that was still at her house, he needed to come and get it by a certain date. Sounds reasonable.

rosalee Sat 04-Nov-17 08:57:44

Mine are in their 30's. Nothing of DS except photos of course. Duvet cover kept as DD says she will want it when she has kids. Two boxes under the settee with all their teenage cards/photos/school records etc all ready to go once twin DDs have their own family as I believe that then, everything in the boxes really will have the necessary nostalgia factor. I have all my mums bits now and derive comfort from having so much of 'her' still with me

Theoddbird Sat 04-Nov-17 09:17:44

I moved to a boat...no space anymore. My eldest helped me box her's and her sibling's stuff up. They have their own stuff now as they have the room and I don't. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to deal with children's things. It is all to do with who has the space.

Jilly62 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:20:49

My grandchildren LOVE their parents old LEGO. It will last for many generations!

MinniesMum Sat 04-Nov-17 09:30:22

If you have crates of lego in the attic keep it for goodness sake. My grandchildren love playing with their father's lego and in a way, it stirs their imagination more than the modern stuff which is all laid out for them. They make their own lego people with plasticine and the old road layout for his cars is now in the spare room covered in lego houses and trucks. They always make a beeline for it.

TillyWhiz Sat 04-Nov-17 09:32:12

When my children got their permanent homes then the good toys stored, Lego, Fisher Price, Brittain's, Hornby came down from the loft and were divided up plus a few mementos they wanted to have. Their own children play with the toys. I have a box of mementos and a few favourite soft toys in the cupboard at the top of the wardrobe.

Coconut Sat 04-Nov-17 09:32:39

Like you I have 2 sons and a daughter. Once they were all settled in their own homes I asked them what they wanted to take with them and what they wanted me to save, bearing in mind that I had moved a couple of times so needed to be minimalistic. I now have one pretty box full of my “treasures” and my memories of their childhood, I even took photos of bits that had to go, but I still wanted the memory. Men are always more brutal than women when it comes to having clear outs !

sarahellenwhitney Sat 04-Nov-17 09:37:53

Twiggy
Normal conduct for some is not normal conduct for others.Myself I have no objection to having items belonging to my children left at my home.
Should I not have the space to keep them it would be 'come and fetch your belongings or I will have to dispose of them?.' Take it from there.

Humbertbear Sat 04-Nov-17 09:41:14

this issue makes me think about how many possessions the younger generation actually own. I left Home at 18 with my clothes in one black bin liner, my teddy under my arm, and some books in a carrier bag.

Penygirl Sat 04-Nov-17 09:46:25

Agree with a previous poster that if two of your DC are still in university they still need to consider your home as their hom, even if you have moved. My DD found work locally after graduating so returned to live with us for a few years before finally moving out.

Eskay10 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:55:13

One day they will have responsibility for clearing it all out and storing it. In the meantime it remains in the family home.

luluaugust Sat 04-Nov-17 10:02:04

I think your husband is being a bit premature here, I think you better tell him gently that the two at Uni may well be back when they finish! It could be years before they own their own homes. We seem to have spent years throwing stuff out but the DC get a chance to look at all the bits and pieces and have taken some and told us to chuck others. The last thing I handed over was all their baby arrival cards which I kept, if they have now thrown them away so be it. Yes keep the Lego much loved by all DGC.

Persistentdonor Sat 04-Nov-17 10:12:09

My son left lots of boxes with me when he moved away.... trouble is he lives in Australia. hmm

palliser65 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:13:39

As each of my three children married and bought their own homes they took anything they wanted. I still have most of their old toys which are now in the Toy Room where their children play. At Christmas I still display their school made decorations (well...some of them). Your children's past is also yours. That time is something you've all shared so keep what makes you happy. Even though that means boxes of Sylvanian Families and Lego coming with you when you downsize as we did.

Jalima1108 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:15:01

Ditto! We could share a crate and ship it all out Persistendonor
(payment at the other end of course)

Yogagirl Sat 04-Nov-17 10:17:53

What a rotten shame granny23

The poster that said whittle it down into small boxes & keep till they are able to store themselves is the best idea, but don't chuck it!

My attic is FULL! My Son's wah-wah peddles, amps, guitars, some guitars dotted round house, as I think it looks good. My darling GD sometimes has a play on them lol & she's only 2yrs smile Guitar stands, computers, photos, books & on & on, Of course school & Uni stuff & good toys that I thought could be passed down to GC. Then my youngest D's stuff, I have a ballet bag full of her dance shoes, photo's of the birth of my beloved first GD-all left behind. Both these AC I haven't seen for 5yrs due to estrangement caused by my precious GD's stepdad & his mother sad My estD has nothing from her childhood!
My niceD tells me to get rid, get a skip and fill it, but I can't! I even have a spider plant that my youngest D 'made' at school when she was 11yrs. keep trying to thin it out, make more plants from the original, try to give some to ND, but she refuses them shock lol But can't chuck it hmm

All their stuff is actually stopping me moving, as I would move into a small place, being on my own now, and just wouldn't have space for all my stuff & half my furniture, let alone all theirs! Also hate getting into the attic, haven't been up in a year!

bmthbelle13 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:18:54

I’ve moved a couple of times since my DDs left home and still have some of their treasures that I’ve moved with me. Younger DD particularly is only now in the process of buying her first home, but I imagine once she’s settled in she will have the last of her bits and pieces. I think I will feel quite sad when none of their childhood is here with me!!

Crazygrandma2 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:21:52

If you have the space to store it then I really can't see what the problem is. Would your OH prefer that your AC pay to store stuff elsewhere? It would be a very different situation if you didn't have spare space.

If you put it in a box and label it as your own stuff, would OH be any the wiser? smile

Jalima1108 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:27:05

I think the OP said they are going to downsize - the more stuff you need to be removed the more it costs!
So rationalising what they have and boxing it up (labelled) seems to be the best way forward.
That's the theory anyway, now I just have to get DD home to do that here.

Yogagirl Sat 04-Nov-17 10:33:35

My niceD has lot's of stuff up in the attic too, even though she has a big house of her own. Beautiful doll collection, one from her first Birthday, when we lived in Africa, it's a Vertrekker doll [the first Dutch folk to migrate to Africa] It's a collectors piece, with fine porcelain hands & feet. Also soft hand made 'Winnie-the-pooh', 'Andy Pandy' and the like, all one offs, so not to be chucked!

Victoria08 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:38:18

I didn't have a choice about keeping my DD s stuff, old letters, photo albums, travel books, bags of stuff in the loft.
She refused to take any of it.
Now she has her own house, I boxed up all,her travel books and albums and took them over to her house. She wouldn't ever collect anything willingly.
I am still,lumbered with some stuff but at least I now have some space to put my bedding on etc.
Am gradually working on the loft bags, but all in good time.
I noted that she has just stuffed everything I gave her into a cupboard, but not my problem.

Harris27 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:45:06

My youngest son has moved to a flat near us but has brought yet again his stuff, to us I said we haven't the room and has to,d us to bin what we can't store! But I can't it's his stuff he should do it! Omg my poor husband is stepping over stuff in the garage yet again!!!