Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be so excited that.....

(63 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 04-Nov-17 15:05:51

.... today, aged sixty four years, two months and four days old I have finally become......a Pensioner?
No, I know I'm not being unreasonable really, but I am genuinely delighted and excited that at last I can get my bus pass. I live in Devon where public transport is eye-wateringly expensive and the bus pass means that I can travel much more than I have been able to. grin
Had my birthday been on the 6th, rather than the 2nd of September I would have had to wait until next March!

newnanny Fri 08-Dec-17 13:32:48

My sister, also lives in Devon, does have to wait until March but as a personal protest she gave her notice and worked last day on Wednesday. Good for you. Enjoy your new freedom and no need to go out when it is freezing cold unless you want to.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Dec-17 13:31:52

Have a lovely time!

Squiffy Fri 08-Dec-17 13:27:49

Enjoy your adventure into town! tchsmile

grannyactivist Fri 08-Dec-17 13:11:22

It's arrived!! Yippeee!!! My bus pass is here at last and I shall be taking the bus into town in half an hour. tchgrintchgrintchgrin

Maggiemaybe Mon 13-Nov-17 08:31:50

Me neither, Legs55. I popped over to feed my DS's cat while they were away for the weekend and it cost nearly £6 on the bus, even though they're just 5 miles away. Getting there involves a journey via at least two, sometimes three, different bus companies, so I can't get a cheap ticket. angry Poor old Leo had to fend for himself on Sunday!

Legs55 Sun 12-Nov-17 18:53:42

I've got to wait 3 years & 9 months for mine, I was born July 1955 so have to wait until 2021 for my State Pension, a year longer than initial plans thanks David Cameron. I drive but am on a 1 year Licence. I live in Devon we do have a (an expensive) bus service. Can't wait for my bus pass.

NannyJan53 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:13:48

My birthdate is 20th September. So I have to wait until next March ( I will be 64 1/2) hmm

jeanie99 Tue 07-Nov-17 01:12:51

I received my pass at 60 yrs and have enjoyed being able to travel on buses without having the pay the high cost it would be where we live.

Mynxie Mon 06-Nov-17 17:55:18

I got mine on Saturday too! I feel like framing it, I’m so excited except then I couldn’t use it!

grannyactivist Mon 06-Nov-17 14:23:07

Suebcrafty the age at which you are eligible for getting your bus pass is your state pensionable age; hence even if I lived in Runnymede I would still be entitled as I am now of pensionable age. I guess you're a few years younger than me.

Suebcrafty Mon 06-Nov-17 11:03:13

You are lucky to get your bus pass at this age as here in Runnymede,in Surrey,you wouldn’t qualify until your 67th Birthday ?

MissAdventure Mon 06-Nov-17 10:00:44

I just hope I'm still able to walk to the bus stop my the time I get mine!

Lyneve Mon 06-Nov-17 09:20:26

Enjoy your bus pass.
I feel the bus pass is the best medicine for thousands of older people as it gets them out and about with our worrying about the cost.
Yes they can walk, as we often do, but there is the safety of knowing one can get a bus home. Especially good if one feels a bit unwell, or buys more than is easily carried.

I think it saves the NHS money. Long live the bus pass.

Caro1954 Mon 06-Nov-17 08:21:09

I got my bus pass three years ago when I was sixty and have used it only once. I shall have to be more organised and stop just jumping in the car! Was unaware that people have to wait till well into their sixties to get one - very unfair.

maddy629 Mon 06-Nov-17 07:16:06

Congrats, activistgranny I love my bus pass, we have a car but I like to use the bus when I can.I don't drive and it makes me more independent, if I want to go into the nearby town to shop my husband doesn't have to get the car out.

W11girl Sun 05-Nov-17 19:29:59

Yay...its a great feeling isn't it. Like you transport where I live is quite expensive and so is the parking as it is a tourist area. So I was so excited when I received my bus pass in my hot little hands!! I go back home to London a lot and I can use my North Yorkshire bus pass on the buses there too! I love going all over London on the buses without having to pay a penny!! Hoorah!

blueskies Sun 05-Nov-17 18:44:48

Thank you Ken Livingstone. But for him we wouldn't have bus passes.

grannyactivist Sun 05-Nov-17 17:40:31

silverlining you could perhaps refer your friend to the website below. Research shows that each £1 spent on the costs of a bus pass generates at least £2.87 in benefits to individuals and communities.
greenerjourneys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Concessionary-travel-costs-and-benefits-September-2014.pdf

1974cookie Sun 05-Nov-17 17:27:10

I was desperately hoping to get my bus pass when I hit 60 as despite being a driver, I LOVE buses. However, I have to reach the government pension age so I was so very disappointed. I hope that by the time get there, I will still be able to get up the stairs of a Double Decker to clinch the coveted front seats smile

silverlining48 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:05:35

I have a friend who gets really angry that bus passes are used for frivoloties like shopping and days out. She is o ver 70 but doesn't have one out of choice and is always going on a about how much it costs the council.
I have one bUt we have few buses where we live so only useful if i visit said friend who lives at the seaside, so we have had some lovely days out on the bus riding along the coast. Much to her irritation!

homefarm Sun 05-Nov-17 15:53:56

I retired at 68, I couldn't afford to before then.
I too have a bus pass that is useless to me as we have no buses to travel on. The pass is totally useless as far as I can see, as it can't be used on the rail network either. Our council would be better off saving on the administrative charges and giving us a better deal on something else.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 05-Nov-17 14:36:43

They will probably have been abolished by the time I reach 'of age' (another 8 years - 66!)

I think it highly unfair that if I were in Wales, NI or Scotland I could have one at age 60. ?

radicalnan Sun 05-Nov-17 14:26:13

Love my bus pass if only we had buses I could love it more.

GranAnn42 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:48:17

My birthday is 8th September so I have to wait until 6th March before I can get my bus pass! Cant wait for the day to come though.

henbane Sun 05-Nov-17 13:19:27

hildajenniJ re National Trust - you can use English NT in Scotland as well as vice versa. Shame it's not true of bus pass!