Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish people wouldn't mess with the classics (lighthearted)

(46 Posts)
DameJudyClench Mon 06-Nov-17 17:06:45

Sitting in a café on my lunchbreak this afternoon, when they started playing a lift music version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.'

I almost wept into my mocha latte.

lemongrove Mon 06-Nov-17 17:16:43

grin
They all become ‘oldies’ and a suitable case for treatment at some point.

DameJudyClench Mon 06-Nov-17 17:36:53

What makes it worse lemon is that I grew up in the 60s and 70s and now even the 90s is old hat sob

When will it ever end! Oh the inhumanity!

watermeadow Mon 06-Nov-17 17:54:25

You must be very young. To me “classics” mean books or music written more than 100 years ago and still widely known and loved.
I Googled Bleak House today to find pages of advertisements from companies selling the book. So people are still buying it but there was nothing whatever about what’s between the covers.

Iam64 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:26:57

Same here water meadow, I thought the OP must link to books or music written more than 100 years ago etc.
Get a grip Dame Judy - worse things happen at sea. I've reached that happy state where I look at celeb mags (at the hairdresser/dentist/) and don't know anybody. It's a joy frankly.
I love it that when I go out to the shops the backdrop music is from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Who ever thought this would be the case. My poor parents had Glen Miller and Co very briefly, then they were banished only to be resurrected by their own children when we reached our 50's and 60's.
Make the best of the day DJC and you won't go far wrong.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Nov-17 18:56:55

I thought you meant Mozart, Brahms, Tchaikovsky etc! grin]

However, I do perk up when I hear some 'ear-worms' from the 50s,60s, 70s etc only to find it is an advert on tv hmm

DameJudyClench Mon 06-Nov-17 19:21:40

Classics is a relative term. Although a hip hop version of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' would be quite interesting grin

Bellanonna Mon 06-Nov-17 19:45:47

I’ve never heard of it. I must be seriously old ☹️

trisher Mon 06-Nov-17 20:19:30

My youngest DS was a big fan. But I agree about not messing with things. When the choir I was in began murdering the Beach Boys I had to leave, some things are sacred (the songs by the way not the group- there aren't many of them left anyway).

M0nica Mon 06-Nov-17 20:47:08

Some years ago the 'hold' music for the Pensions Agency was a movement from a Beethoven Symphony (4th or 7th) played with syncopated synthetic beat background.

I used to 'hold' with the phone held as far from my ear as possible, so that I would notice if the music turned to a voice but wouldn't be able to hear the music itself.

MissAdventure Mon 06-Nov-17 21:24:09

youtu.be/6sqzYwwYUCg

DameJudyClench Tue 07-Nov-17 03:54:34

Bloody hell Miss

I think I may be slightly traumatised after watching that ?

Teetime Tue 07-Nov-17 09:07:50

Oh that Tui advert and the desecration of Chaka Khan's Aint Nobody- I had a passionate affair to that one.

vampirequeen Tue 07-Nov-17 09:17:10

I hate remakes of classic films. Nine times out of ten they're a total disaster. Get Carter ...a gritty English film about sleaze and gangsters in Northern England. OMG have you seen what Hollywood did to it?????

Same goes for The Italian Job and The Wicker Man.

Then there are the Japanese films like The Ring and The Grudge. So dark and scary even though they're subtitled. Ruined when Hollywood tried to remake them.

The only remake I can think of that works is Oceans 11.

lemongrove Tue 07-Nov-17 09:23:38

I agree VQ with those film examples, so am nervous about seeing the new Blade Runner.
When I hear a lift music version of anything by Dire Straits I will very likely scream.

ninathenana Tue 07-Nov-17 09:33:25

Bella I'd never heard of it either, I don't consider myself seriously old smile I was a teen late 60s early 70s
Having watched it on Youtube (not the link) I don't think I missed much.

Bellanonna Tue 07-Nov-17 09:35:36

I so agree Nina ! I watched it too.

TerriBull Tue 07-Nov-17 09:36:28

My boys were big Nirvana fans in their teens, probably still are, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", a great song imo, was an anthem with their peer group, it's not something to be mucked around with grin I still see skateboarding kids today in the iconic Nirvana t shirt, so guess there's another generation that song resonates with.

sue01 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:09:28

Ah... interesting one this.

My favourite film is "Far From the Madding Crowd" - the original... Julie Christie, Terence Stamp, Alan Bates.

Anyway... years later I became good friends with somebody who appeared in it.

When I saw the recent remake I told her how awful I thought it was in comparison to the original.

But she said... remakes are good, because they introduce a new generation to a wonderful story... and each has its own take on the film, and the actors and actresses who appear in it.

Hmmmm. Still prefer the original though... nothing will ever compare to Terence Stamp doing sword practise !!

annifrance Tue 07-Nov-17 10:14:34

Greensleeves hold music. Hate it.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Nov-17 10:17:43

I'm currently quietly fuming at the tarted up version of the fabulous Roy Orbison's classic tracks by adding a backing of philharmonic orchestra. Just not rock n roll! I know it was instigated by his sons but I think the originals should be left as they are.
Felt the same about a similar treatment of Elvis tracks last year.
Smacks of money grabbing to me.

1moleta3 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:18:11

Try the hold music on British Airways - they just get a new recording - so many glitches or is it my wifi?

Lindylou57 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:18:31

Always hate it when a favourite classic song is used in an advert! 'Time of my Life' from Dirty Dancing is on at the moment and I get get so sad when I hear it being used this way!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:19:12

Quite a while back my parents were very keen on a record called 'Hooked on Classics' which was by an orchestra - they loved it as it had lots of catchy tunes 'without the boring bits' but it made me cringe.

meandashy Tue 07-Nov-17 10:46:55

Damejudyclench I too would cry at hearing that! I often despair at awful cover versions of songs I love.
My dd used to be uber excited by Busted. They covered Teenage Kicks. I told her it wasn't a new track & the original was so much better!! I couldn't convince her sadly ?