Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that the Houses of Parliament should be replaced

(116 Posts)
Morgana Tue 07-Nov-17 20:17:36

With a brand new building? Instead of spending billions on attempting to repair it, why don't we just replace it with a well designed up to date building with modern technology and power saving features?

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 23:10:45

I agree about the electoral system, though. Is it next month that PR is being debated?

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 23:09:45

The building isn't fine, though, Cindersdad. That's why they are being decanted elsewhere while it is being repaired, etc.
That's why Big Ben has been silenced for over two years, I think, so the workmen are not being deafened. That's why it has scaffolding all over it.

Cindersdad Sat 11-Nov-17 23:00:08

The building is fine it's the electoral system that needs changing.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:05:19

We know, you already kindly pointed out that Winchester was the capital before London.

Where did the Anglo-Saxons come from? The: Angles, Saxons and Jutes invaded Britain after the Romans left. They came across the North Sea in wooden boats from what is now: Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 16:56:46

Anglo-Saxon?
His mother was Danish, sister in law of King Canute.
London still wasn't the capital. He was crowned at Winchester.

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 16:38:10

grin

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:37:05

And not Any

Should have typed 'Et' instead

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:36:26

They'd have sent him back home if they could have done.
Well, it wasn't for lack of trying hmm

Any Harold Godwinson was himself Anglo-Saxon!

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 16:17:07

durhamjen ......what a spiteful and petty comment from you.
To quote a line from Fawlty Towers ‘ You know nothing!’

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 16:14:45

He certainly wasn't a local, though, was he? They'd have sent him back home if they could have done.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:58:09

Strictly speaking, William the Bastard aka the Conqueror wasn't French.

He was Norman of Viking extraction.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 15:55:58

A concrete box?
You obviously know nothing about Halifax or the northern industrial history.
The Piece Hall dates from 1779, and Dean Clough from the 1840-60s, so both are older than the present Palace of Westminster, and in much better condition.
Not that I would expect you to, as you have not been north of Watford Gap for years, being so happy with your lifestyle in the south now.
That's okay. They are welcome to you.

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 11:38:38

Well, nobody need worry, it will be restored and carry on as normal.Of course if anyone in authority takes any notice of Gransnet..... ( they won’t) perhaps a concrete box on the edge of Halifax ( between B&Q and McDonalds) will be mooted as a good idea.?

mostlyharmless Fri 10-Nov-17 10:50:39

Interesting thread.
The Houses of Parliament is the most iconic building in the UK recognised all over the world.
Yes it's not a practical modern building but it's not a souless modern concrete box either. A new location would take years of arguing, then planning, and construction and, as posters have said, would cost billions. It would also probably mean Downing Street and most of Whitehall moving too.
It wouldn't be completed in our lifetime.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 10:07:34

Also pointing out that it was a French king who made it the capital, just in case you missed that.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 10:06:30

That was in response to those who said that London had ALWAYS been the capital. Just pointing out their error.

suzied Fri 10-Nov-17 05:34:32

I think “ since William the Conqueror” is quite a long time! It’s not as if the Capital City has been shifting around every few years.

durhamjen Thu 09-Nov-17 22:50:51

Or there's Dean Clough, old carpet warehouses that have been upgraded.

Could actually leave the Lords in London to sleep until they fade away. The Houses of Parliament could be restored around them and they would not notice.

durhamjen Thu 09-Nov-17 22:46:25

I think it's quite funny that all those people wanting to keep London as the capital do not realise that it has only been the capital since William the Conqueror came over from France and took over.
Before that it was Winchester.
The Romans had Colchester.
The Vikings had York as their capital.

If we are going to have Halifax, there's the Piece Hall, which is amazing.

MaizieD Thu 09-Nov-17 21:49:05

My vote's for Halifax. It's a nice place set in beautiful Yorkshire countryside. All that wonderful scenery and clean air might have a soothing effect on MPs and be quite life enhancing. And not having all those cultural diversions, theatre, galleries, concerts etc. might help them to concentrate on the job in hand...

It's just off the M62 and has a train service. Leeds/Bradford airport is a bit far away but travelling time on less congested roads would probably be about the same as getting to the London airports.

What's not to like?

lemongrove Thu 09-Nov-17 21:34:12

riverwalk It would happen if some people on GN got their way! wink

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:28:56

Ah yes, a new build:
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-may-sue-firm-that-built-portcullis-house-over-roof-damage-a6914491.html

moleswife Thu 09-Nov-17 17:21:33

Don't forget MPs have a beautiful new building for offices and meetings - Portcullis House at a cost of £235 million - and that has had to have nearly £500,000 of repairs to the glazing in the atrium. Oh yes, and they were criticised for spending £40,000 on renting fig trees for the aforesaid atrium! But it's only money - and they do a good job!

Morgana Thu 09-Nov-17 11:40:23

Come back Guy Fawkes? Only joking. I wasn't really thinking of pulling it down. Just selling it off and moving to a more central location is an excellent idea.

icanhandthemback Thu 09-Nov-17 08:10:50

We went to see a debate in the Houses of Parliament last week and I would be greatly saddened to see it go. Yes, it is archaic but it is the most wonderful building and is definitely worth keeping. However, in this day and age, there is no reason why there shouldn't be a satellite back office if required.