Gransnet forums

AIBU

Or just a GOW?

(68 Posts)
Squiffy Sat 11-Nov-17 15:32:11

We were in our local Wilkos today and, having paid, made our way to the exit. At the exit, on the inside, was a charity stand and two young women charity workers. The stand and the women were very visible and it was impossible to reach the exit without realising their presence.

Now, I've absolutely nothing against their being inside the store, especially on a grey, drizzly day like today, BUT I did strongly object to being accosted by one of them attempting to guilt-trip me into making a contribution. Her approach being, "Do you love animals? . . ." If I had wished to donate, they were prominent enough for me not to have missed the opportunity.

I make regular contributions to charity, so it's not a case of being miserly!!

TKMax used to require their till staff to ask if customers wanted to donate to whatever the current charity was that the store was supporting. It didn't go down well. Customers felt embarrassed to say 'no' and I believe that they lost custom locally. The store stopped the practice.

Surely, the presence of collecting tins, or even a person collecting, should be enough in a store, without them actually cornering customers.

Rant over, tin hat on . . . . .

BlueBelle Sat 11-Nov-17 15:37:00

I am a great one for donating to charities but I don’t like being ‘collared’ especially those chuggers in town centres which I think has been a bit clamped down on as we don’t see so many now in our town centre Donating should be totally without pressure so I see where you are coming from and agree with you

maryeliza54 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:37:41

Why do you need a tin hat?Do you think a lot of posters will disagree with you? I don’t for one - I hate being approached about any charitable donation but have no problems with the stores allowing them in or regulated street collectors with tins. A few weeks ago M&S staff were collecting in store for MacMillan and didn’t approach any customers at all - absolutely fine

maryeliza54 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:39:39

Ohh chuggers are absolutely another thing and truly awful but I haven’t seen any for ages either- one of the worst things there was trying to get you to sign up, it wasn’t just about putting some money in a tin or bucket

Oldwoman70 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:40:19

I agree "Squiffy" - I used to collect for a cancer charity and if fortunate enough to be inside a store with a stand never approached shoppers, just smiled at them and hoped they would make a donation - some did and some didn't, they all got a smile though!

annsixty Sat 11-Nov-17 15:42:11

It won't be me shooting at your tin hat as I am totally behind you.
I have actually spoken to staff in shops where I have been accosted and guilt tripped by chuggers in foyers
I want to do my shopping in peace.
These are mostly paid to do that job and are not collecting for their charitable principles.

suzied Sat 11-Nov-17 15:48:03

I hate those ones who say “do you care about ...animals/children/ whatever? “ I say “Yes I do an I already give money to them”. And keep walking. Recently on the tube a group of about 4 young men got in the carriage and started playing the trumpet, banjo, saxophone , guitar , the music was great and made everyone smile, another guy with a coffee cup came round and I willingly gave them a £ for entertaining us with their talent. I know it’s probably not legal, but I prefer them to the ones who just go round saying “spare any change...” oops a bit off topic but you could argue the charity collectors are begging and I wouldn’t give money to people just begging. The buskers were a different matter and at least were entertaining.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Nov-17 15:50:24

I love those buskers that jump on the tube always make me want to join in and ALWAYS puts a smile on my face well worth a squid .

lemongrove Sat 11-Nov-17 15:51:49

squiffy we had a thread about this last year and just about all were in agreement ( with you) so no need for a tin hat.
You are so right, who likes the use of emotional blackmail for charitable giving.

Squiffy Sat 11-Nov-17 15:54:36

I must have missed that lemon!

That's got me thinking now though about the collectors being employed rather than volunteers. I wonder if they have to reach targets and that's why they approach people?

Grannyknot Sat 11-Nov-17 15:55:34

Why are people embarrassed to say "No"? confused I think it's the accosters who should be feeling embarrassed. I'd just have said "No, thanks" or "Sorry, no" (whether I like animals or not), smiled and walked on. I don't see any reason for getting in a state about it. So I think YABU smile

Oldwoman70 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:55:43

I seem to recall that "chuggers" were working for companies and only a percentage of what they collected went to the actual charity.

A few months ago I saw someone by a stand for a charity I support and I went across to make a donation, only to be told they were not accepting money just signing people up for regular direct debits - I declined.

Smithy Sat 11-Nov-17 15:56:15

I hate it when you go in a charity shop and they try to sell you a raffle ticket. This happened to me recently in the BHF shop. As a person with a heart condition I regularly support this charity by post, but you feel mean even if you are buying something in the shop.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Nov-17 16:06:55

They are not supposed to approach you Squiffy

And I was asked if I wanted to donate to charity in TK Maxx this week, so it is still happening. I just smiled and said that I already donate to the charities of my choice.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Nov-17 16:08:37

And all the stuff that comes through the post - raffle tickets, coasters, pens, cards, calendars.

grannyactivist Sat 11-Nov-17 17:18:58

I don't mind being approached by charities, but I also have no problem in declining to contribute.
On the other hand I am always delighted when my own (homelessness) charity is approached by people and organisations wishing to support us. I live in a small town and although our work is carried out under the radar people somehow get to hear about us; I'm often humbled by people's generosity. In the past couple of months we have been chosen for the Waitrose Green counter awards, the Lions asked me to go and talk to them about our work and gave us a very generous donation and I heard today that the local Choral Society have just chosen us as the recipient of their annual Christmas concert. Plus there are some wonderful folk in local churches who give anonymously (through third parties) for particular needs. smile

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Nov-17 17:42:43

No uanbu
The charities that DH and I support has 'grown' from life events that have happened to either family or friends.
If I have odd change in my pocket then I will put in a charity tin. Pudsey bear etc.
I do however feel very uncomfortable if collectors or raffle ticket sellers are ready to pounce.
Every cause is worthy and fighting to raise much needed cash.

The envelopes that come through the post go straight in the bin unopened, I take issue with the cost of paper, envelopes, postage.

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Nov-17 17:50:20

PS. bit slow to day
what is GOW?
I know I will probably kick myselfconfused

dbDB77 Sat 11-Nov-17 18:10:39

Grumpy Old Woman?

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Nov-17 18:33:02

Of course it is!
Thanks dbDB77
I'm kicking myself as we speakgrin

dbDB77 Sat 11-Nov-17 18:40:55

Kicking yourself? Gosh Cherrytree I wish I was as flexible as you - or are you Debbie McGee in disguise grin

Squiffy Sat 11-Nov-17 19:05:21

GK getting in a state about it ? Hardly!!

I'm quite capable of politely declining the request (and did precisely that!), but am just concerned for those not confident or robust enough to do so smile - and yes, I do know people who have been made to feel uncomfortable!

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Nov-17 19:50:43

I have twice declined the request very rudely! Once when we had someone at the door who, when turned down politely, said "So you don't care about people with cancer?" and exactly the same, replacing "people with cancer" for "starving children" when we were stopped by a chugger in Vienna, so it's not just a British problem.

I think chuggers are employed on commission to sign up new supporters, but the money then donated does all go to the charity.

Anya Sat 11-Nov-17 20:28:29

Jalima is correct in saying these collectors are not supposed to say anything to you. All they can do is smile. Even jiggling the charity-box at you is not allowed. Chuggers operate under different rules.

Like Maggie I’ve been accosted rudely by chuggers and felt no compunction in retaliating in kind.

Bluegal Sat 11-Nov-17 20:35:23

NOT unreasonable at all Squiffy. I give to charities...a lot! but I absolutely detest being accosted whilst shopping.

I love animals, give to so many...but when approached on the street saying....do you love cats? I said ...Nope hate them!!! Have had so many rescue cats in my time. Similar ..do you care about children.?........my response is "Nope" cant be doing with them ha ha..... Had just sent a lot of money to help a school in India with someone I have known who is working for it.

There is only so much you can do! I am not rich....I help where I can, BUT I absolutely detest trying to shop and being pressurised which is why I respond so negatively.