Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aibu to want my son back? His fiancé has taken him from me

(148 Posts)
FrillyGrill Wed 20-Dec-17 01:37:06

I have 3 sons (eldest 27, middle child 24, youngest 17) When my eldest son was 18 I moved from Britain to Australia, without him but with his other siblings. My son didn't want to go and my visa would have expired if I waited any longer.
So I made the choice to leave Britain. Regretfully our contact waned. Years later when my eldest was 26 I offered him the chance to come to Australia. By this time he had been in a relationship with someone, I'm not sure how long but I know they lived together for 12 months by this point.
He refused to leave her behind, so I put my support behind her too and 8 months later they arrived in Australia.
The plan was for them to stay with me while they found work then move out and live locally.
I found his girlfriend difficult to live with, she was clean and pleasant enough but she smoked a lot. She never did so in the house but I could always smell it on her. She was very forgetful and would forget to put things away after using them, I also found her very dependant on my son. Asking him things like "where's this got to? Have you seen x?" I wonder why she didn't look for herself. She seemed pretty useless. My son didn't seem happy. I started snapping a bit and there was an altercation with my Dh too.

He found a job, she didn't. But they could manage on one income and so they decided to move out. I'm very hurt that they did so without telling me. I went to work one day, as did Dh. My other son (16 at the time) was in the house at the time. They had a large cab turn up at 10am and were gone within 20 minutes. They initially had told me they were going to move out 3-4 days after the day they actually did. I also found out second hand that they are now engaged they didn't think it worthy to tell me. I haven't seen his fiancé since.

I saw him that night when he returned his house key but didn't see him again for another 2.5 months, he came over to get some post and we had a coffee. I invited him to barbecues and gatherings but there was always something else to be doing or he was working.
On his younger brothers 17th birthday he came around and stayed for about an hour, brought a card and a present, had a single drink then went home.
I have not seen him since. This was 5 months ago. He has stopped responding to my texts.
Our text contact all but died when I said well if your fiancé was so smart and great with words, she'd be employed by now surely? (This was in response to ds saying his fiancé would happily help youngest ds with his resume, as she was good at that and always knew what to say for the best)
Ds snapped at me and told me she does have a job (nobody had told me that so it was fair to assume she was still unemployed I think) and that my judgements about her were unwelcome. I stupidly also said that I see him less now than I did when he was in the uk.
He pointed out this was "horseshit" since I never bothered to visit. I wanted to visit its just such a long journey and I hate flying so much.

He stopped talking to me then. He hasn't spoken to me for almost 2 months now.

I later found out from middle son that eldest son and his fiancé were having a dispute with the letting agents with regards to some issues (floor damage, I believe) and might have to move. He also shared that eldest sons fiancé is pregnant.

I text eldest son asking where he was moving to. No response. I asked when she was due to give birth. No response.

I text again telling eldest son I was worried about him and invited him to live with me again until he sorted himself out, no response.
At this point he also stopped responding to middle sons contact.
Middle son went to eldest sons home. Eldest son was gone. Middle son contacted the letting agent they had moved out four days prior. Letting agents declined to share further info or forwarding address. Middle son then went to eldest sons work place and asked to speak to him. He was informed by the manager that he had left his job 7 days prior to that and they have no knowledge of where he has gone.

Middle son did speak to a friend/ex coworker of eldest son and friend did say he knows where he's gone but declined to share the information, stating only that he was still in Australia and is doing ok.

I know this is all because of his fiancé.
I just want my son back.
I've brought him (and his fiancé) across the world to have my son back and it seems that I've just lost him instead. I wish I hadn't bothered.
Aibu to just wish his fiancé would let me have my son back?
She has isolated him from everyone and I worry he is being abused by her.
He says he's happy but I don't think he is.
I don't know where he is - Australia is huge and I could drive for 20hrs in a straight line without stopping and still have another 40hrs of driving to do, without reaching the other end of Australia. He could be anywhere.

Musicelf Wed 20-Dec-17 13:04:40

I do hate being judgemental, and I always try to see both sides to any story, but I'm afraid I cannot see anything positive on the side of the OP.

I have a mother who has found it impossible to "let go" of her two children. My brother and his wife now have the barest of contact with her, because of the way she feels she should have control, being the "matriarch" of the family. She thinks her DIL is the cause of every problem, and although I've tried to talk about this with her, she will not see any other point of view.

My mother is almost in her nineties, and things will never change now. It's just so sad that she has brought this estrangement on herself.

GabriellaG Wed 20-Dec-17 14:08:10

As a mother of 5, 2 of whom are sons, I understand you feeling the loss when they start their own lives. I'm fortunate in that I really like my DsiL but at first it was hard being 'supplanted' by another female who came first. IMHO, parents who bring their children up to be independent, make their own decisions and mistakes, tread their own path etc; have done a great job. It's definitely NOT about making them feel guilty or criticising their choices UNLESS they ask for advice.
18 was quite young for him to be left (alone?) in the UK whilst you went thousands of miles away with his two brothers. Where is dad in all this?
It's very hard to bite the bullet and I DO KNOW how bereft one can feel when a son goes his own way but better that than have a dependent 45 yr old mummy's boy, years down the line.
My advice? Write a letter but don't play the 'I'm your mother' tune. Keep it short and open. Say that it would be good to keep in touch and you wish him, his fiancee and their forthcoming child a very happy life. Congratulate him on taking care of his own business and being a responsible caring partner. Say that you'll step back and hope that in time, they, as a family, will be able to accept you back into their lives as long as each respects the other's need to have distance without criticism. Love without smothering but you will always be there for him, his fiancee and child should the need ever arise.
I'm sure that others on here will be able to add their views and I hope that you restrain yourself from appearing as a badly-treated mother.
Give the letter to the son who contacted eldest son's ex colleague and ask that it be passed to your eldest.
That is all you should do. The rest is up to him.

GabriellaG Wed 20-Dec-17 14:21:56

Damewithaname

I've no idea what you're saying. It makes no sense.

Juggernaut Wed 20-Dec-17 14:54:49

You quite clearly put yours, your DH's and your two younger son's happiness above that of your eldest son when you so coldly and callously left him here when he was just eighteen.
I know this sounds very harsh, but you decided that he wasn't terribly important in your life, so if he now treats you the same way, you only have yourself to blame.
Not having a relationship with him and his growing family is your 'punishment' for being so cruel to him ten years ago!

Baggs Wed 20-Dec-17 14:56:13

Your son is your son till he gets him a wife (or fiancée). There's wisdom in old sayings sometimes wink

M0nica Wed 20-Dec-17 17:03:23

If an OP asks for people's opinions, she must expect to get them. I do not think anyone has been particularly harsh or nasty but if the OP lacks the self-awareness to realise that they got themselves into the mess they are in, then someone needs to tell them. If that is thought judgemental then I am all for being judgemental.

Would it really have helped her - and her family, if we had all just said 'poor you, how sad' and nothing else?

Fennel Wed 20-Dec-17 17:06:48

FrillyGrill -
I understand how you feel, to some extent.
I "lost" eldest daughter to her partner a few years ago, and it was quite sad and painful for me. But it was what I'd been hoping and praying for, for years.
They've got their life ahead together, hopefully, and my role has had to change. As she has changed.

BBbevan Wed 20-Dec-17 17:17:04

Absolutely Baggs Spot on .

Morgana Wed 20-Dec-17 17:56:24

Our children are only lent to us. We have no rights to possess them. We love them, guide them if they want. But we must step aside and let them fly. If we love them, this is the best thing we can do for them. You need to come to terms with this. Forgive yourself and beg your children (all of them) to forgive you. Send a letter (as suggested above) and apologise for how you have mishandled the situation. Do not expect to be welcomed back with open arms but hope it will be the first steps towards an eventual healing. Good luck.

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 17:58:42

Yep. Who am I to come between my two DSs wives. My sons visit with DGC on their own mostly. Gives DIL much wanted peace and pampering time. I understand that totally from having little ones. I just go with the flow. My DD who was my baby is a different relationship altogether. A daughters a daughter all her life to finish that so true saying .

Cold Wed 20-Dec-17 17:59:39

I hope that you get another chance OP to make up with your DS and to get to know you GC - but I don't know if that will be possible now. I hope so.

You left your son when he was only 18 because it suited your new family and there is a sense in your letter that you expected to pick up exactly where you left off as Mum to a teenager.

But his life has changed in the 8 years that you had very limited contact. He is not a teen but a man approaching 30 who has formed his own family and you need to respect that. It must have been very upsetting for him to see his fiancee attacked by the Mum who left him and didn't even bother to visit. You cannot expect to impose a "head of the household attitude" - you need to to treat him as an adult now and respect his choice of partner.

In your OP you blame everything on the fiancee - but really this is about the breakdown of your relationship with your son over an 8 year period.

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 18:00:19

It'll all come out in the wash as my dear Nanna used to say.

Cold Wed 20-Dec-17 18:02:33

Your son is your son till he gets him a wife (or fiancée). There's wisdom in old sayings sometimes

Actually Baggs I could not disagree with you more in this particular case. I think the fiancée is a red herring. The issue in this case is the breakdown of the mother-son relationship over an 8 year period and a mother who is expecting to "parent" a 27 year old like the 18 year old she left in the UK.

nightowl Wed 20-Dec-17 18:16:32

No, your son is a son for life. That old saying is rubbish. Our children, male and female, are our children in our hearts for life but once they reach adulthood the relationship with them is the one we have sown the seeds of throughout their childhood.

I’m afraid I agree with others, the OP needs to look at this situation from her son’s point of view and try to convey to him that she understands his sense of hurt and abandonment when she moved to Australia all those years ago. His fiancée has nothing to do with this.

NannyTee Wed 20-Dec-17 18:19:04

Wow I wish people would read ALL the posts. Gets so confusing haha

Baggs Wed 20-Dec-17 19:11:13

That old saying is not meant to be taken literally, nightowl. Ot does say something general about the relationships between mothers and their male/female offspring which multiple posts on Gransnet seem to bear out.

Funnily enough, I've always assumed the you (in your son is your son) is the mother. I've never applied the saying to fathers.

Alexa Wed 20-Dec-17 19:16:26

I don't understand why you went to Aus with two young children but I suppose you must have had sufficient reason to go. I imagine that at age 18 your eldest knew his own mind well enough and was emotionally independent of you. I am sorry you have this difficulty with him and d in law.

I think it's probable that he will get in touch with you, because he did make the effort to come to Aus and bring his lady with him. So there is some feeling there.

You need to get used to being on the periphery of the family and learn this new attitude. It's not difficult, it's only common sense. The grandmother is seldom now the wise hub of the family, but is an outlying influence.

It is too cruel nevertheless that he is not in touch. Ask around are there any agencies that could forward a short undemanding letter from you? Salvation Army ?

Alexa Wed 20-Dec-17 19:19:46

PS I should have said the grandmother is ----an outlying influence _if an influence at all"

CardiffJaguar Wed 20-Dec-17 19:44:04

Smothering; controlling; I see the usual problem for the new wife/girl friend where the MIL wants everything her way and the younger woman is not good enoiugh for the son. Leave them alone as you have driven them far away; if they ever come back it will be because they want to. It is their life.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Dec-17 20:00:02

No Alexa it’s not cruel of the son at all, the poster has made it quite clear that she only wanted the son WITHOUT the daughter in law and she only wanted him when it suited her not him.
She was rude to his fiancée on a number of occasions she made it quite clear that she wasn’t approved of or included when the girl had done nothing wrong except fall in love with her son The son has now obviously had enough and moved on why would he want to come back for his wife/ girlfriend to have more disapproval

Alexa Wed 20-Dec-17 20:12:04

BlueBelle, I didn't say it was cruel of the son. It's simply a cruel situation when someone's important relationship is ended or in difficulties. I am sure that the son has thought a lot about his family relationships, unless he is extremely superficial.

Bridgeit Wed 20-Dec-17 20:21:48

Is this a joke or a wind up thread ? If it is not well al I can say is - seriously what did you expect?

MawBroon Wed 20-Dec-17 20:29:21

It is weird enough to be a wind up. OP must see how ridiculous it sounds to talk of a grown man of 27 being “stolen”from his mum who left him behind in the UK 9 years ago while taking her other younger boys with her.
What did she expect?
Or else it is the plot of an episode of Jeremy Kyle or perhaps a very bad novel

Daisyboots Wed 20-Dec-17 21:25:16

I cant be harsh with you because you left your 18 year son in England and moved abroad because I did a similar thing with my youngest when he was 18. We decided to retire abroad but he wanted to stay with his pals and all that he knew. But in the 9 years since we have been constantly in touch plus many visits and the bank of Mum has been very active. Plus he had his older siblings there. But your son who arrived in Australia at the age of 26 was not the the 18 year ikd you left behind. He had had to make a life for himself and had also met someone he wanted to spend his life with. I think you wanted the 18 year old back to yourself but he didn't exist anymore. I cant believe you have said some of the things you have. No wonder your son doesnt want anything to do with you when you wete constantly critical of his fiancee. I don't think she has taken your son away but he has made the decision to distance himself from you. We may not approve of our children's choice of partner but we should never voice it. Our children are not our possessions. Just be polite and if the relationship is wrong they will make their own mind up. One of my DDs has been married 3 times and I cant say I haven't particularly liked any one them but they have been her choice at the time so I have been charming and welcoming to them. Just remember that when your younger boys start having girlfriends. You cant choose for them but can merely go along with it with no criticism. I do hope you get to see your son again but I do think you will need to do a lot of apologising first.

MawBroon Wed 20-Dec-17 21:38:45

Daisyboots the other sons are 24 and 17 respectively.
I think they may have discovered girls (or boys) already don’t you? grin