Gransnet forums

AIBU

Flood lights

(37 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 21-Dec-17 18:19:08

Why on earth do people want great glaring lights on all night? One neighbour’s light shines in my landing window and a new woman opposite has an even brighter one which is under her porch, so wouldn’t disturb her, but illuminates the whole front of my house.
We live in perhaps the safest place in Britain and have a street light nearby so outside lights are unnecessary.
I’m having to hang a blanket over my bedroom window, which makes me feel claustrophobic.
This woman has interior lights on all night too. I don’twant to complain as she obviously feels the need but it’s disturbing my sleep every night.

Elrel Sun 24-Dec-17 14:26:11

MinniesMum
Good point- the name is misleading, ‘black out’ blinds nowadays are not necessarily black, they can, as you say, be cream.

Camelotclub Sun 24-Dec-17 16:37:51

I want to know where the safest place in Britain is!

NfkDumpling Sun 24-Dec-17 17:21:24

Where we used to live we had a street light outside the property which shone into the garden and lit the front and side of the house. Our car was broken into twice in the drive. We were burgled. When the policeman came he told us it was unfortunate that we’d left the light on for the burglars. The street light.

Burglary rates increase when there is a full moon. Darkness is good!

With double glazing blocking outside noise, the flashing of a torch or a security light coming on is the only thing to alert us to an intruder. A permanent light is no good. Perhaps if this was explained to your neighbour. That she is increasing her chances (and yours) of being burgled she may at least change it to a security light.

Also people walking in street lights feel secure but the lights cause shadows, dark drive ways. Far safer to carry a torch to flash into dark corners.

watermeadow Sun 24-Dec-17 17:51:50

As I said, this is a new neighbour so I haven’t had time or money to get blackout blinds.
I resent having to do this when there is no reason for a massive light shining in my windows all night. It’s only 10ft from the pavement and on a Council house so no attraction to burglars.

tanith Sun 24-Dec-17 17:56:10

Why wouldn't burglars be just as attracted to a council house as a home owners house pray? confused

Legs55 Sun 24-Dec-17 17:58:14

The "blackout blind" in my bedroom is Fuschia, very bright pinktchgrin

OldMeg Sun 24-Dec-17 23:06:45

Mine is pale turquoise Legs55

If it’s on a council house then complain to the council.

Elrel Mon 25-Dec-17 00:49:05

What tanith said!!

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Dec-17 09:07:30

I can vouch for the fact that 10 feet from the pavement is certainly no deterrent!

The council should surely be able to talk to your neighbour without mentioning your name.

Anniebach Mon 25-Dec-17 10:14:26

discoveryinthedark.wales/about

Camelotclub, come here, there are still cottages and barns for sale ?

ryangladwin Tue 06-Mar-18 22:51:53

We had to invest in blackout blinds from a local online store called Blinds Superstore. The neighbours ignored us and now has it in 24 hours 7 days a week....strange people what a waste if electric!