Gransnet forums

AIBU

Or even a bit precious? Mother of the Bride outfit.

(109 Posts)
MarionHalcombe Wed 10-Jan-18 18:58:18

My daughter gets married later this year , I haven't bought anything yet as I need to shift the Christmas pounds, however I have found exactly what I want. I shared the website of the shop with my closest friend who in turn shared it with a mutual friend who is also due to be a mother of the bride after me.
As you can guess she now also wants a dress from this shop, which is very limited in its stock.

So my aibu or precious questions are...

I don't want her to get a similar outfit as she will look better than me, I'll be trying on my size 14 picturing her in her size 10 and feeling dispirited.

I'd rather she not know how much I've paid - there aren't any exact prices on there.

And finally I was hoping not to tell anyone what i was wearing but the style will be known if not the colour.

As I've written that I think that I may be being a bit over precious. Opinions? Thanks.

Starlady Sat 13-Jan-18 03:04:02

Understand how you feel, but agree that you shouldn't worry as long as the other lady won't be wearing the outfit to your dd's wedding. Wear what you love and enjoy dd's big day!

But be more careful, from now on, about what you show your (so-called) "best friend." Or if you want to make sure she doesn't repeat it/show it to someone else, tell her. Don't trust her to keep something confidential if you haven't asked her to. Lesson learned.

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 23:45:19

I wonder if people who dress up a lot don't get as stressed about such things as people like me who are only happy wearing casual, comfortable clothes?

jacq10 Fri 12-Jan-18 23:34:28

MarionHalcombe - After reading through these posts I checked to see how long you had been a member as I thought some comments were nasty but I'm sure you know not to dwell on them. It is only natural to want to feel good at your daughter's big day. I was worried about my outfit from the photographic evidence that would be around and didn't want to let my daughter down as MOG is an extremely "dressy" woman. However. like a previous poster, I spotted something in a window in a privately owned shop and although a lot more expensive, even in a sale than what I usually wear, it felt great and I knew I had shoes and bag which would suit. Owner of shop took a hat off a model in the shop which looked wonderful with it, asked me when the wedding was, checked she didn't need it herself and said to come back nearer the time. On the day itself I felt very comfortable and had many compliments (a lot for the hat, which I think would have cost more than many outfits at the wedding!) I hope all goes well for you and you enjoy your (and your daughter's) day.

Bridgeit Fri 12-Jan-18 15:49:48

Ohhps wear not where !!

Bridgeit Fri 12-Jan-18 15:48:14

As your friend is going to be MOB after you,surely there is no problem with you getting the outfit of your choice! Also how likely is it that she will get the same one, once she knows you have it? . And if you are bothered about your differences in size & who will look best then you won't be happy! I would say where what ever you want & don't waste time & energy comparing yourself to others , have a great day ?

annodomini Fri 12-Jan-18 13:08:34

PS Tattoo this on your hand: LESS IS MORE.

annodomini Fri 12-Jan-18 13:02:45

You can stand out in quite the wrong way. Better to be elegant than ostentatious. I have in mind my DDS's MiL who wore lemon yellow at the wedding. A lovely lady, but ...er... rotund. I'm no sylph, but as MoG I wore a shirtwaist dress with a jacket in a colour that matched the pattern on the dress, plus a nice but not showy Breton style hat from Accessorise (sold it on Ebay for more than it cost!). I was comfortable and blended with the guests which was my intention. So - OP, please don't make a big thing of this outfit. Be comfortable and enjoy the day.

Iam64 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:47:48

Phew, what a lot of anxst here about wedding outfits. I'm with Eloethen, it really isn't worth worrying about. Varian, my fear was looking like the Lady Mayoress of Weatherfield but Hyacinth is even more scary.

varian Fri 12-Jan-18 12:08:21

I think you need to feel comfortable and a smarter version of your usual self - just avoid looking like Hyacinth Bucket.

You shouldn't worry too much unless your daughter is marrying into the Royal family. Apparently Carol Middleton ordered an outfit then changed her mind when she saw something she preferred. Although she paid in full for the first outfit she was still criticised. I thought what she wore looked just right.

Eloethan Fri 12-Jan-18 11:39:10

I really don't think it's worth worrying about.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Jan-18 11:15:32

grin I went to that shop in Corbridge. The woman was so intimidating I walked straight out againshock

Niobe Fri 12-Jan-18 09:55:36

Ah yes, the second pair of shoes! I attended the wedding of a friend's daughter and wore new shoes which grazed my feet after an hour. Very painful! Fortunately we had gone by car and I had put an older (but still ok) pair into the boot so hubby was sent to swap my shoes over. I never wear new shoes to any event now. Might be a good idea to get shoes in advance and wear them around the house a few times.

harrigran Fri 12-Jan-18 09:49:56

The shop is there Maw, I know because DD of my sister's neighbour owns it, I just don't know what she stocks at present. When I shopped there she sold a lot of floaty silks, but DS's wedding was August.
When I went to the palace it was November so I went for a heavier fabric and bought a Basler suit.

Marmight Fri 12-Jan-18 02:07:49

So long as you are comfortable and feel good, that's all that matters. 'Don't sweat the hard stuff'. I've been MoB 3 times. For one wedding I only bought my outfit the week before. Saw it in a shop window as we were driving out of Cheltenham, DH parked on the double yellows, I rushed in tried it on and the deal was done in less than 8 minutes - without a parking ticket too wink. The only tip I would give you is to have a 2nd pair of comfy shoes.. essential in my opinion!

MawBroon Thu 11-Jan-18 23:54:21

Oh I think I know that one Harrigran, I tried on lots of things with a view to one of the Dds’ weddings. Is it still there? Very tempting!

harrigran Thu 11-Jan-18 23:44:00

The shop was in Corbridge Tegan, I haven't bought anything there for 8 years so I don't know if they still have the same large selection.

newnanny Thu 11-Jan-18 23:14:14

No how you feel in your outfit is important too. Luckily your dc is getting married first so you will have first pick and even if the friend of a friend chooses something similar it won't matter. Go for really smart accessories too.

Crafting Thu 11-Jan-18 22:23:37

When a small size 12, I bought a top from M and S and was wearing it out one day when a woman (approx size 20) walked towards me wearing the same top. As she and her friends passed me one of them whispered to her "it looks much better on you dear" and what's more it did!

Buy an outfit you feel comfortable with and not too tight. Nothing worse than a tight fitting dress stretched over a big tum or bum (I know I've done it). It will be the thing that shows up on all the photos. Be comfortable, feel comfortable and enjoy the day and your beautiful daughter.

Jalima1108 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:48:22

I was size 12-14 when I was MOB and that felt just right. I wore a slim fitting skirt (well slimmish) and a long jacket which skimmed over any bumps!
High heels which made me stand tall (abandoned after the photos) and a largish hat which was fashionable then.

She won't be standing next to you - just check that the MOG doesn't clash with colour.

Bbnan Thu 11-Jan-18 20:46:52

I totally agree...it is their day but you need to put your 2 feet forward and enjoy it too..it does not come too many times in life..r,joy and be proud too.

icanhandthemback Thu 11-Jan-18 20:37:11

Of course you are being precious but every body has those moments and it just goes to show how important it is to you. Instead of worrying about the outfit (which I am sure would look just as good on you as her), work on your self-esteem. Keep telling yourself that you look good with your weight loss. Having lost 2 stone myself, I know how much hard work that takes and you should be congratulating yourself on that. If it really bothers you, take yourself down to Debenhams or John Lewis and get their personal shoppers to help you find something that really shows you off to your best advantage. I did that when I was mother of the groom and I am really glad I did. I felt 10 years younger on the day...not sure the photos proved it but hey ho, I had a fabulous day feeling like a glamour puss and you can't put a price on that!

MarionHalcombe Thu 11-Jan-18 20:30:21

Thanks for the nice messages of understanding. Deeply regretted posting when I read some others but hey, ask an honest question and get an honest answer. wink

Madgran77 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:29:11

Just not worth stressing about! Choose your outfit, enjoy wearing it and the day. Let her do the same!

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jan-18 20:18:17

That’s lovely Bbnan?

M0nica Thu 11-Jan-18 20:03:18

I confess finding these MoB, MoG, dressing dilemmas puzzling. I have only ever been the MoG and only once. I looked for something nice but useful, couldn't find it so made subtle alterations to something I had bought for a special occasion several years previously. I told the happy couple and MoB in advance and none of them were remotely bothered. MoB and I agreed not to wear hats, neither of us wanted to.

Once I got dressed on the day, I felt comfortable and suitably dressed and then stopped thinking about my clothes, nobody was interested anyway. It was the bride and groom, and possibly the bridesmaids everyone was interested in. It was a lovely day. 15 years later the bride and groom are still together and happy with two lovely children. Who cares what the bride and groom's mothers were wearing at their wedding?