Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gransnet makes me feel lonely

(163 Posts)
jamsidedown Thu 18-Jan-18 22:57:52

I am a long time lurker. I have posted the odd comment in the past but have never really been able to join in. I have even put up a thread to which I have had no replies to. I recognise many of the user names which keep cropping up, you all seem so familiar with each other. It feels like one of those groups at school which you were never invited to, and always being the last to be picked for games. Gransnet just makes me feel more lonely. Does anyone else feel like this?

icanhandthemback Fri 09-Feb-18 21:06:38

Jamsidedown, I think we all seem to feel the same when we first join. I have started to chuckle now when I kill a thread, before I wanted to cry.

nanny2507 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:37:32

jamsidedown i have no friends. i am very much alone. I am a very private person due to many years of being bi-polar. People just cant cope. I lurk too. I have posted a couple of times and you just have to bite the bullet and jump in. the more you do the more people will reconise you and the more they will get used to you.

Anniebach Sat 03-Feb-18 20:09:15

Ellie Anne, please don't give up, you will be glad you didn't I promise x

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 19:57:12

I'm always being told off Ellie Anne don't let it put you off.

Just think - it's you, not me.

Marydoll Sat 03-Feb-18 19:30:23

Ellie Anne, I'm sorry you feel like that. I too was a bit wary at first, because some people seem have been here for ever and I thought I was an interloper.
I steer clear of the contentious threads, I have enough stress in my life without adding to it. grin
What helped me initially was dipping a toe in the games and having a bit of fun, you then get to know people a bit better. Have a go, don't be put off by one nasty poster. Most of us are actually quite nice. smile.

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-18 19:14:23

Nellie, I understand some of the things that might be making you feel down. Please pm me with a rant if it helps get it off your chest. I'm happy to listen.

Ellie Anne Sat 03-Feb-18 18:48:14

No Charley girl . I felt l’d been told off!

BlueBelle Sat 03-Feb-18 17:34:46

There is a welcome thread toolodtobeamum

Charleygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 17:00:48

Ellie Anne did you let that person know?

Ellie Anne Sat 03-Feb-18 16:38:59

I agree with you jamside. I often feel everyone else knows each other.but I find some of the discussions interesting. I did ask a question once about a medical issue and one of the responses made me feel so bad I have kept a very low profile since.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 13:31:18

I was once very upbeat on here.
Yes, you were Nelliemoser

I hope the cloud that is pressing on you lifts soon

flowers

loopyloo Sat 03-Feb-18 13:20:40

Nellie, sorry you feel so low. Is it anything you can talk about? Are you able to get out for a walk?

2old2beamum Sat 03-Feb-18 13:10:42

I wonder if there could be a forum Welcome to Gransnet....introduce yourself here. It could be a way to break the ice.
Kind thoughts to all lonely Gransnetters!

TerriBull Wed 31-Jan-18 08:59:30

I think of you often Annie sending best wishes and flowers

Anniebach Wed 31-Jan-18 08:41:33

Thank you soop, I am in too unhappy a place to join you all but I do just like to sometimes pop and in read , such laughter and everyone so active, I like that

Nelliemoser Wed 31-Jan-18 07:50:09

"Alienated"?? or "isolated" is sort of how I have been feeling for some time.

This is more to do with the fact that I have been feeling very down for some time now (all sorts of other stresses imagined or otherwise) rather than anything anyone on GN has said or done.

I have not been posting as much as I did. Many of the posts I have made around Christmas were dreadfully negative.

If you are feeling stressed and low in mood getting the energy to feel jolly and sociable does not come easily.
There is a big vicious circle going on in that observation .

I think I need to get off to the kitchen for some vitual TLC.

I was once very upbeat on here.

Blencathra Wed 31-Jan-18 06:35:18

Thanks Soop I am sure it is me really. I don't feel that your kitchen is for me because I am not around enough. I have not been on here since I posted on 22nd and so have only just seen your reply. I am sure that if OP pops in daily she will soon feel included. It all depends on what you want from GN.

lilypollen Sat 27-Jan-18 22:59:44

That is a good point ethel, just to be able to get something off your chest in the virtual world that you might not wish or be able to share face to face.

Bellanonna Thu 25-Jan-18 00:55:07

Good to see you popping up now and again ethel.

etheltbags1 Wed 24-Jan-18 15:19:32

Hi jam. Im ethel and sometimes my threads dont get much attention either but persevere. Sometimes its nice just to get it off your chest by posting. Ive been on here about 4 years. Good luck. I will always talk to you x

kittylester Wed 24-Jan-18 15:11:55

The kitchen is lively and I don't think it's at all cliquey though I can see it might seem that way. Just join in and have your say - you will eventually get to know us.

Charleygirl Wed 24-Jan-18 11:33:22

Luckygirl in the kitchen we do not mean to come across as being "cliquey". I think that we have "known" each other on line for years and are aware of what some people have been through in the past and recently. You will always receive a warm welcome and we never have a cross word to say to anybody unless as in on one occasion one person was quite rude about us.

soop Wed 24-Jan-18 11:23:46

AnnieB Luckygirl Please, do give the kitchen a wee visit. The atmosphere is friendly. It's a matter of sharing ordinary, every day experiences. I believe in kindness. Confrontation is not for me. I'm far too much of a wimp to set foot over the threshold of certain forums. Although, having dared to push my way through the battered door of the Argy Bargy Caff bearing a messy upside-down cake, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and will continue to barge in from time to time. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Jan-18 17:55:03

Virtual calorie-free cake Luckygirl - whatever you like!
cupcake
That one is a large coffee and walnut cake.

Anniebach Tue 23-Jan-18 17:40:35

Cherry x think I will post Welsh places and misspell them ?

I look in soops kitchen but to nervous to join.

GN is my link with the outside world and so many lovely people