Gransnet forums

AIBU

Close the curtains !!!!!!!

(118 Posts)
felice Wed 24-Jan-18 12:38:06

Am I the only one who gets annoyed during films or TV dramas when a character is in danger, being stalked or threatened perhaps and they never close the curtains at night.
They wander around in lit rooms which any Tom, Dick or Harriet can see straight into.
A trivial matter I suppose, but I noticed it in Silent Witness last night after the man had been rescued from a kidnapper.
Daft ???????

JackyB Thu 08-Feb-18 16:29:05

I always want to scream at people who get into their cars and just drive off. Having watched a few films myself, I never fail to check the back of the car before getting in if it's dark - even if the car was locked.

You never know when someone's going to pop up from behind your seat, reach round and strangle you!

eazybee Thu 08-Feb-18 14:53:14

My father always used to make us draw the curtains before we put the light on, 'to save the electricity.' confused

Stansgran Thu 08-Feb-18 11:57:43

Someone mentioned Spiral earlier on . What bothers me is that Laure never washes or changes her clothes and Josephine does not possess a hairbrush.

Katek Wed 07-Feb-18 19:24:19

Or they walk home across dark fields/unlit village streets/woodland while there’s a killer on the loose! Don’t go into the dark places on your own, you fool!!

sunseeker Wed 07-Feb-18 19:10:51

How about the bar worker or waitress who leaves work late at night and walks to her car in a dark deserted car park with her head down searching through her bag for her keys - why wouldn't she get her keys out before she goes out the door!

petra Wed 07-Feb-18 17:50:09

We don't have curtains in the conservatory. We never close the curtains in the lounge. We don't close the bedroom curtains until we go to bed.
'If' there is somebody out there we like to see who it is and be ready with the double barrel ?
Mind you, I think our security lights would scare anybody off grin

SparklyGrandma Wed 07-Feb-18 14:14:06

Watched Vera too this week, that lady living in a house with large picture windows, with no blinds nor curtains, ALONE deep in a forest!!

I only feel comfortable if all curtains and blinds are shut tight in the evening.

grumppa Sun 04-Feb-18 23:09:28

At a slight tangent, why do TV detectives never lock their cars when they get out of them? Endeavour has brought this home forcefully this evening.

Cherrytree59 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:12:08

Being watched!!

Cherrytree59 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:10:06

Yep, Just watched Vera
Lady lives by herself in forest, had a break in
And thought she was been watched.
Big picture windows, No curtains!

felice Tue 30-Jan-18 13:13:45

I am glad I started this thread, nice to know I am not alone.
I had two Burns Supper Lunches here this weekend, Saturday 28 and Sunday 12 for SILs 50th Birthday.
I dropped the subject into the conversation both days and the response was the same. Close The Curtains.
9 nationalities represented and all agreed.

SparklyGrandma Tue 30-Jan-18 12:55:11

Doversole I agree, curtains are needed.

I think sometimes it is women who see the need for privacy and safety provided by blinds or curtains.

humptydumpty Tue 30-Jan-18 12:37:26

I still remember when renting a semi-basement flat with no kitchen curtain/blind and garden sloping up outside the window, I got up one morning, turned the light on, and there was a man sitting on the lawn looking straight at me!!

Jaxie Sun 28-Jan-18 17:11:59

A few episodes of real life murders in the US on the CBS Reality TV channel and not only have I drawn the curtains whilst still practically light but I'm inspecting both sets for chinks where the mad axeman could be peeping. Another bugbear in Spiral, the French policier, and lots of the Walter Presents Scandi noir is the way police sit in cars in full view of their quarries on surveillance operations. Most of us have a sixth sense that alerts us when we are being watched ( I hope!).

RosieLeah Sun 28-Jan-18 15:46:45

No matter how cold it is, people walk into a room, sit down and leave the door open!

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jan-18 10:03:38

I think God should introduce a new feature to the world that will actually sound creepy music to warn us when there is something in the cellar or outside the front door so we don't open it.

ReadyMeals, I like your thinking!

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jan-18 09:58:14

We haven’t even got any blinds or curtains at our big kitchen windows. If ever I’m alone in the house late at night, maybe boiling the kettle and looking out at my reflection in the glass, it crosses my mind that we should get some. We’ve lived here 36 years.....

ninathenana Sat 27-Jan-18 23:45:16

I thought of this thread whilst watching Hard Sun earlier this evening. smile
Why did she leave the flat and go down to the street when she heard a noise ?? Especially as it was all over the news that they were looking for a serial killer.

Marydoll Sat 27-Jan-18 23:30:18

One Christmas, my children gave me an Avril Paton painting. Oh how I love looking in the windows of the flats.

Ailsa43 Sat 27-Jan-18 23:25:20

Another thing that drives me mad is that no one down south appears to close their curtains at night to go to sleep! The light would wake you up early! We have blackout blinds as well as curtains, I could not possibly go to sleep with no curtains closed for that reason and also that someone could look in (we live in a bungalow)! Is that the case?

I live down South ( London region), and everyone I know has their bedroom curtains or blinds closed.

I agree about the earlier post regarding the West End of Glasgow.. I was born and raised there, in a flat identical to the one in the painting, and I can't ever remember anyone closing their livingroom curtains or blinds at night, except if it was really cold and they wanted to keep the heat in.

We had roller blinds but I don't remember them ever being closed.

FarNorth Sat 27-Jan-18 23:13:42

Very occasionally, someone seems to be acting really recklessly, then they are saved from certain death, or at least entrapment, by the police turning up, having been previously called.
So we realise the character wasn't so stupid after all.

Curtains closed when it's dark. Keeps the place warmer.

Marydoll Sat 27-Jan-18 22:59:23

Bez1989 you will be able to find a list of all the anacroyms in the tab at the top of this page.

Maggiemaybe Sat 27-Jan-18 22:53:00

It stands for "Am I being unreasonable?", Bez1989. Often the prelude to the more controversial threads, particularly over on the dark side (Mumsnet). smile

Bez1989 Sat 27-Jan-18 22:45:43

PLEASE tell me.....What does AIBU
mean ?? sunshinesunshinesunshine

I often see it before a topic.

annodomini Sat 27-Jan-18 20:27:14

OK - you've got me bang to rights. I'm just going to make sure the doors are locked.