Gransnet forums

AIBU

Close the curtains !!!!!!!

(117 Posts)
felice Wed 24-Jan-18 12:38:06

Am I the only one who gets annoyed during films or TV dramas when a character is in danger, being stalked or threatened perhaps and they never close the curtains at night.
They wander around in lit rooms which any Tom, Dick or Harriet can see straight into.
A trivial matter I suppose, but I noticed it in Silent Witness last night after the man had been rescued from a kidnapper.
Daft ???????

humptydumpty Wed 24-Jan-18 12:45:32

Didn't watch SW but a while ago watched a Scandi noir with a beautiful cabin in the woods, which didn't even seem to have curtains/blinds!

merlotgran Wed 24-Jan-18 12:47:20

We said exactly the same thing while we were watching it, felice.

Another bugbear is when somebody returns home at night, lets themselves in through the front door (we know there's a baddie on the loose) and doesn't put on any lights. They stumble around in the dark as though there's been a power cut.

Daft!!

Oldwoman70 Wed 24-Jan-18 13:03:02

Why, when someone hears a noise do they call out asking if anyone is there? Do they think the killer/burglar is going to call back saying yes they are in the kitchen making a sandwich and would you like one!

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jan-18 13:23:12

Or when they hear a noise outside and then........ they OPEN the darn door !!! Lock it and call the police for God’s sake lol

felice Wed 24-Jan-18 13:26:41

I am so glad it is not just me, DD came in one evening and asked my why I was shouting at the TV,,,, again!!!!!!

OldMeg Wed 24-Jan-18 13:30:11

And when alone in a creepy old house in the back of beyond at midnight they hear a noise and get up in their nightie and wander the corridors never once checking behind themselves, when I for one, would put a chair under the door handles and the pillow over my head.

felice Wed 24-Jan-18 13:30:12

Sorry me.

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jan-18 13:35:50

And in so many police dramas, the police go into a building at night and grope around with their torches, while I am sitting there yelling: "Put the blasted light on why don't you?!"

seacliff Wed 24-Jan-18 13:36:45

Yes I remember on Broadchurch, someone was sitting in a very exposed conservatory with creepy marshes around, and a killer at large. I felt quite concerned just watching it.

Atqui Wed 24-Jan-18 13:44:37

Wholeheartedly agree, and it's not just on TV. My daughter lives on her own during the week and has no blinds at her kitchen window which is overlooked.Particularly scary after that drama a couple of years ago about a man who preyed (sp?) on Young single women.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Jan-18 14:49:56

Or when a group are being picked off one at a time so they decided to separate. No!!!! Stay together and watch each other's backs!

grannyqueenie Wed 24-Jan-18 16:23:14

They do all seem a bit lacking in common sense! I always seem to be yelling “seriously??” at the tv these days!

MargaretX Wed 24-Jan-18 16:48:10

Sometimes the action is in an office in a high rise block of flats and the whole wall is windows and they don't have the sense to put blinds down.

Then especially when a couple having an affair station themselves at a window in a lit up bedroom.

lemongrove Wed 24-Jan-18 16:53:58

Yes VQ that whole ‘let’s split up and investigate’ scenario is crazy ?however, being a film, if the group stay together then nothing would happen!
I too shout ‘close the blinds/curtains’ at the tv from time to time also ‘look behind you!’

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jan-18 17:06:08

Bugs me how they (Silent Witness for example) get blood test results etc. back from the lab almost immediately !!

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jan-18 17:07:56

Also bugs me how in Holby City for example, a visitor can be allowed to remain beside the patient's bed while the medical staff are trying to recuss the patient.

varian Wed 24-Jan-18 17:37:08

If I lived in a city I would definitely close my curtains when the lights went on but my friend who lives in the West End of Glasgow doesn't. She says that nobody does and if you are thinking of redecorating you can walk around the neighbourhood and look in all the windows to see what other folk have done with their

www.enidhuttgallery.com/windows-in-the-west-avril-paton-open-edition-print.irt

varian Wed 24-Jan-18 17:37:49

their front rooms

AlieOxon Wed 24-Jan-18 18:30:41

And they leave their cars unlocked too!

M0nica Wed 24-Jan-18 18:52:16

More than 20 years ago, during the IRA troubles, a senior army officer was shot and injured when IRA members scouted out his garden and then went back in the dark and shot him through a window. None of his curtains were closed. I can remember being amazed at the time both that he hadn't been warned about this obvious risk and anyway hadn't, worked it out for himself.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Jan-18 19:05:00

I always say the same felice
and I do remember the Broadchurch episode and commenting on it at the time - or rather saying rather loudly 'shut the blinking curtains you silly girl'.

varian Wed 24-Jan-18 19:11:00

This might be a better link

www.enidhuttgallery.com/windows-in-the-west-avril-paton-open-edition-print.ir

KatyK Thu 25-Jan-18 10:22:44

I'm glad it's not just me. The not putting the light on is a bugbear of mine. Also (and I know this is ridiculous) when they are standing at the sink doing the washing up and they don't roll their sleeves up! I need to get out more smile

paddyann Thu 25-Jan-18 12:01:23

I love Avril Patons work Varian as a weegie who lives away from the city it reminds me of home .We were in the city last night and going through the west end and your friend is right,nobody closes curtains ,must admit I dont either so it must be inbred ...lol