Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why do people waste so much or is it me being unreasonable

(133 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 29-Jan-18 13:15:39

In todays world im finding myself disgusted and ashamed at the way people are so wasteful someone i know has thrown away a huge portion of expensive birthday cake not out of date. Another threw out perfectly good kitchen chairs. I see stuff everyday put out for landfil that could be reused. Lovely sofas are chucked in gardens etc etc. Am i in a minority when i ring a charity to see if they want my old stuff. Every week i take bags to the charity shop with clothes. I recently saw a bag on a building site burst open to reveal beautiful kids stuff. Does no-one re use or alter things anymore. Is it me

OldMeg Tue 30-Jan-18 08:47:18

I certainly couldn’t take anything weekly to a charity shop, or my house/wardrobe would be empty.

When the grandchildren grew older I left outside a Moses basket, two little chairs, a baby buggy and other bits and bibs in good condition with a note pinned to the fence that this was free to a good home. It all went within the morning and our street is off the beaten track.

annsixty Tue 30-Jan-18 09:32:53

One of my neighbours really does put every charity bag ,and we do get plenty, out full.
She occasionally asks me for mine as well.
She lives to shop.

M0nica Tue 30-Jan-18 09:34:44

I can get all my clothes into one 4ft 6in wardrobe and a Victorian chest of drawers. I cannot cope with clutter and to have lots of clothes I do not wear would mommer me.

I am also a bit tight fisted. I am not prepared to spend money on clothes I am not ready to wear regularly. I have one or two friends I occasionally go shopping with and it is a case of them buying and me carrying.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:38:22

I expect that many of us have become wasteful simply because we can. My parents had to make do because they were too poor to do otherwise. I make things last because it's in my nature. I expect I'm considered a bit weird.

MaggieMay69 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:38:57

Some people simply can't get rid of nice things! My grandaughter had a beautiful dining set & chairs, she couldn't give it away, was too broke to pay for it to be picked up by the council, and so ended up smashing it all up to tip! A lot of charity shops these days mark things up way too high, (well, round here they do!) I found a top that still had labels on selling it originally for £3.50, marked up to a fiver in the charity shop! So they have too much surplus!
Its such a shame though as my family love a bargain, and majority of my christmas presents to family are from them! They don't mind as I usually find some great things lol.

sarahcyn Tue 30-Jan-18 09:42:33

About second hand books: I have a gripe about Oxfam. When Oxfam started going into selling second hand books in a big way it killed the second hand bookshops. Less than 20 years ago there was a second hand bookshop in nearly every town we visited but now they have had to close because the cannot compete with the charity shops. I mean think about it - how could you keep a restaurant open if another one opened on your street where they didn't have to pay for their stock, didn't have to pay their staff and even got a concessionaire rate for their premises?

SillyNanny321 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:43:45

Jalima's charity shop is not like mine. Cant get enough decent books but if it isnt in good enough condition to go on my shelves at home I will not put it out for a customer to be expected to buy. It then goes in totes to be sold to a company who will sell bad condition books. So nothing is wasted, perfaps a word in your charity shop managers ear about this?

SillyNanny321 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:47:08

To sarahcyn our charity shop sells items people have kindly donated for a very good cause. We still have all the usual utilites to pay so I do not think we are doing someone out of anything. Maybe you will need our charity one day & not be so snippy about charity shops??

annsixty Tue 30-Jan-18 09:48:10

Like Maggie's GD, I have a mahogany dining table,6 chairs, two glass fronted cabinets and a lamp table which I would love to change for something modern.
Nobody wants it, so I will keep them for ever and leave my family to chop it up, I couldn't do it myself, it would be so awful.

W11girl Tue 30-Jan-18 09:54:52

It’s a throw-away society...keep up! I work in a charity shop and I cringe at the amount of toys we receive, many of them still boxed! Most of us here are pre/post war children...there was little to throw away!

Coconut Tue 30-Jan-18 09:55:50

So many people just don’t give a thought about recycling and the amount of waste is just absolutely staggering. The younger generation are worse, it’s such a throw away society and I so wish that they would think about the future. Our world is filling up with junk, as you say landfill sites prove this ... and living in the countryside, don’t even get me started on fly tippers, I would string them up !!

grannysyb Tue 30-Jan-18 09:58:17

People put unwanted stuff on streets round here. I picked some Roman blinds last year, made 2 headboards for spare room covered in the fabric! I'm now using the lining for another Roman blind, which is great as the pockets for the dowling are already sewn!

RetiredRGN Tue 30-Jan-18 10:04:56

Haha i have a funny story too We left our old lawnmower out at our previus house for someone to take as hubby had upgraded ours where we previously lived I saw two guys come and carry it away The next day one of them rang the bell and asked if we had the extension cable for it! i said no we are using that for our bew one!

DotMH1901 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:05:59

I have a friend who has supported a school in Gambia for many years. When my grandkiddies grow out of clothes I go through them and take out summery things, school blouses and shirts and underwear and send them to my friend to be shipped out to Gambia during the year. Other items go to charity shops or, for those items hardly worn, are sold on ebay or similar. I rarely buy new furniture as I prefer well made older items which I get through Facebook local pages/ebay/local second hand shops.

inishowen Tue 30-Jan-18 10:08:24

In Germany they have a system like Perth. Once a month you could put things outside your house. Others would tour round looking to see what they might need and take things away. A wonderful idea!

My late aunt was a very thrifty lady. One day charity bags were left outside her neighbours house but they were ripped open by hooligans and strewn round the street. My aunt collected everything, washed it all in her washing machine, ironed it, and took it to a charity shop!

antheacarol55 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:09:25

It is a shame that so much goes to waste.
I was brought up to make do and mend which I still do .
I have one very close friend who needs a new kitchen every two /three years I have stopped asking her why she needs a new kitchen it is her thing .
She is thousands of pounds in debt but still spends money .
My kitchen is so old now it’s vintage and people want it lol

Lilyflower Tue 30-Jan-18 10:10:44

I hate waste and Freecycle everything. We are the 'make do and mend' generation. Our parents were the war generation and it's rubbed off on us. We recently took a load of books to Oxfam and they sent an email to say they had sold them for just over £700:- result!

merlotgran Tue 30-Jan-18 10:12:06

Our local branch of EMMAUS was invaluable when we downsized. They turned up in a large van and took away a large sofa, boxes of books (sob!) and a piano!

DD and I love browsing their showroom. An upcycler's heaven.

freyja Tue 30-Jan-18 10:12:10

I quite agree with this shameless wasteful generation. I feel that the UK has become lazy and greedy as we have learnt to have everything immediately and cheap. We have become a nation of cheap imported rubbish which lasts for a few years only to be replaced with more cheap rubbish. As a consequence the countryside is being dug up to build giant warehouses to store this junk only to end in the ground. The roads are chocking under the strain of huge lorries and we have lost all our manufacturing. We have become a nation of museums where we wistfully see the label 'Made in Britain',
I say let's break this cycle of waste by bringing back the factories, make and buy our own. Bring back the jumble sales for recycling and most importantly bring back our pride.

JanaNana Tue 30-Jan-18 10:13:13

I think it's a question of "easy come - easy go" these days. The days when people had to save up to buy things have long gone. Credit cards can encourage buying impulsively, and unnecessarily and some people are more vulnerable to this than others. Being a post war baby we had to make do with what we had and go without until we could afford to save for what was needed. I still think it did us good to have to wait for something and not get things immediately. Buying stuff for the sake of it seems to be a hobby with some people who then get tired of it and have to have something else. We have plenty of charity shops in our area so try and give any unused or unwanted things between them. Most of them take paperbacks which sell for around £1 - £1.50. Oxfams cost a bit more.

Suebcrafty Tue 30-Jan-18 10:13:53

Coconut says ‘The younger generation are the worst’ but I remember a neighbour in the late 1960’s who before Christmas sort through her children’s toys and any they hadn’t played with in a while would go in the rubbish bin,needless to say my mum would rescue them and ask if she could take them to the local children’s home!! Also on the subject of discarded furniture..when my mum and Dad died,and we had to empty the house,the beautiful 3 piece leather suite (which had the required fire labels on) was refused by the local furniture charity shop because they said it was too big! We got rid of the fridge freezer and washing machine via freecycle but even the person picking them up gave us the run around for 3 weeks!!

Nanny41 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:13:54

I love taking my things to Charity shops, and looking around them for books at the same time.
Why do so many people throw things out, or throw on the tip, when others may like them.

Kim19 Tue 30-Jan-18 10:16:25

I'm neither ashamed nor disgusted by my fellow man/womans' throwaway habits. I certainly wish it wasn't the case but then I wonder what I do that troubles them. I certainly have experienced difficulty in disposing of very serviceable items economically and effectively.

Granfran Tue 30-Jan-18 10:19:55

We have a recycle ‘shop’ next to our local tip where things that previously would have gone in a skip are resold and proceeds support a charity which gives youngsters work experience. Its a fascinating place with constantly changing ‘stock’. My daughter has bought several chests of drawers and upcycled them. I bought a beautiful glass vase for £1.50. Prices are very reasonable. Never ceases to amaze me though what people chuck out.

Grampie Tue 30-Jan-18 10:22:41

All we can do is control our own behaviour.

We’d love to make others follow our exacting standards but we’re old enough to know that’ll end in tears.

People failing to study, failing to take responsible decisions and failing to stay married makes them poorer than those who do but we must grin and bear it.