Gransnet forums

AIBU

Daughter wants to move home - UPDATE

(26 Posts)
damek1ndness Wed 07-Feb-18 22:07:47

Thank you so much for your advice and help on the last thread. Just to update

1. Daughter (without prompting) emailed a 5 page document with financial projections for how she would use the time to save and a bullet pointed set of suggested and detailed terms for living together

2. Partner said though wouldn’t be his first choice of circumstances the kind thing to do would be to say she could stay and we should be kind

So the answer will be yes - wish me luck!

Purpledaffodil Wed 07-Feb-18 22:19:28

Thanks so much for the update! It sounds very promising and I hope it works out as well for you and your DD as it did for us and our DD. Onwards and upwards flowers

MissAdventure Wed 07-Feb-18 22:43:43

Hope it all works out well for you. Good luck!

Bellanonna Wed 07-Feb-18 22:46:54

Yes, sincere best wishes

Synonymous Wed 07-Feb-18 22:47:57

damekindness so pleased to hear of such a promising proposal from DD. Do you think she has been reading the earlier thread? smile
I do think that you should not dismiss all that she has listed and if you can live with what she says and/or want to add one or two items of your own then I think that you have the basis for a good agreement. Your DD needs to feel valued and her efforts certainly need to be acknowledged too. I hope it all works out much better than any of you could ever have imagined! flowers

Cherrytree59 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:54:01

Seems your daughter is being sensible and looking to the future.

You and your husband are enabling your daughter to have the future she envisages.
Good luck sunshine

Ps don't forget to get a copy of the 5 page documentwink

NotTooOld Wed 07-Feb-18 22:57:13

Damekindness - congratulations! Am pleased to see you have the support of your DH as I think it would have been much harder without it. Best of luck to you all.

Christinefrance Thu 08-Feb-18 08:38:55

That is very sensible and sounds promising for the future. It's good to be able to help if we can.
Good luck flowers

silverlining48 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:05:49

Hope all goes well, good luck.

mollie Thu 08-Feb-18 09:07:36

Sounds like a good outcome. I’m sure it will be fine and something you’ll all feel was the right choice in years to come!

Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 09:20:19

I hope all goes well damek.

Teetime Thu 08-Feb-18 09:24:46

Well done your daughter damek it sounds as though she has it all planned out and I hope it goes well for you all. flowers

123flump Thu 08-Feb-18 10:31:38

What a great update. Hope it all goes well, your partner sounds lovely.

Telly Thu 08-Feb-18 10:47:59

Good luck, sounds like you have the support of your partner and it does feel like the 'right' thing to do. x

paddyann Thu 08-Feb-18 12:39:07

delighted its worked out and hope its a happy time for you all.Your GS will love living with you and you will get so much enjoyment from having him around

mumofmadboys Thu 08-Feb-18 13:18:02

Hope it all goes smoothly with only tiny bumps on the way!

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Feb-18 13:25:35

Amend the document a bit to show you take it seriously and print out a copy for the kitchen door!

Good luck wine

Luckygirl Thu 08-Feb-18 13:30:11

Well that sounds promising. Had you discussed the idea of a proper agreement and had the chance to add your own thoughts as well? If not then that should be the next step I think, if you feel there are things you would like to add.

Good luck with this - I hope it all works out well for you.

NannyTee Thu 08-Feb-18 13:36:55

Ahh that's very nice to hear. smile

damek1ndness Thu 08-Feb-18 14:43:35

I should mention that DD is a legal secretary so she knows how to put together a proposal! Even has a request to comment in the text in red (I’m half finding the formal legal language hilarious and half a bit proud of her)

Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 15:22:04

Don't sign anything damek! smile

Grannyknot Thu 08-Feb-18 17:34:15

dameK it sounds as if she is taking it all very seriously, bodes well.

Give your kind partner a big treat for his candour coupled with magnanimity. What a man!

Bathsheba Fri 09-Feb-18 09:03:50

That all sounds very promising damek1ndness - your DD obviously has no intention of taking your kindness for granted, and it's so good that you have the support of your DH in this as well.
I'm sure this is all going to work out for all of you. Good luck!

Mapleleaf Fri 09-Feb-18 14:10:02

Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Grammaretto Sat 10-Feb-18 15:47:59

Thanks for the update. I read your original post with great interest and I sincerely hope it works well. I agree that your OH is a lovely person. How would I feel if step-children were moving in....

A friend of mine is about to host a refugee family of four for a few months. I marvel at her but couldn't do it myself.

Years ago my mother moved in with us for a few years and it was difficult.
I remember things like disciplining our children when she complained about them. It was as if they got a double dose of being told off. I was sometimes envious of her freedom too. I guess you go into these things with your eyes open.

Good Luck.