Gransnet forums

AIBU

To intellectual to be understood.?

(69 Posts)
Bridgeit Sun 11-Feb-18 13:50:28

After watching Nicky Campbell’s ‘The Big Questions’ this morning,I couldn’t help wondering if one can be too intellectual to be understood .
There was one obviously intelligent lady speaking but she didn’t get her points across too well .It was apparent that she was passionate & very erudite, and yet her opinions & points were almost unfathomable (not just to myself, ) but also to other speakers & the audience who also appeared unable to grasp her meaning. The topic seemed to be entirely lost in her intellect .

Bridgeit Wed 14-Feb-18 10:22:30

Please GG , for the sake of this thread & in the interest of other posters , give it up , it is very boring , non productive & frankly quite sad.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:25:21

Bridgeit don't you realise you are describing your posts? What ever made you feel so superior to others I wonder?

Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:32:05

Yes Some people need public speaking lessons despite being very clever

lemongrove Thu 15-Feb-18 22:41:09

GGM2.......just stop for Heavens sake!
Has Bridgeit annoyed you on any thread perchance? ?
Everybody is entitled to an opinion even if it is wrong in
your or anybody elses eyes.

lemongrove Thu 15-Feb-18 22:44:42

Having watched this programme now, I understand exactly what Bridgeit means.
Being succinct and clear in meaning is a must for any question and answer type of public speaking.

Bridgeit Thu 15-Feb-18 22:56:16

Ahh thanks for posts Lemongrove,I have tried & failed to explain to GG,that her pedantic attitude to mine & others comments & opinions is somewhat rude & school ma’am ish & defeats the object of an Opinions site, & at times takes over & spoils a thread, but well you know how it is , the lady is not for turning !?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:38:39

I have been replying to the opening post - the discussion point raised - not attacking anyone personally although I am not sure you will ever understand the difference Lemon.

I disagreed with her and so did others. This is not a "Chat" thread and it is reasonable to think that 'Am I being unreasonable" is inviting a discussion not a cup of coffee and a gentle nod at a friend who may be wrong but is not asking if you think differently. There is a difference between opinion and certain knowledge. If you just want to take an opinion out without the expectation of challenge go on a 'chat thread'. If you ask 'Am I being unreasonable' expect someone may say yes and explain why.

If you do ask the question don't attack those who give their time to answer you, it is far more disrespectful than answering a question, in an area for discussion, with facts and the thinking behind them.

M0nica Mon 19-Feb-18 19:11:52

If one of the bickering pair do not respond, that is the end of their fairly tedious exchange. When I find myself on a thread with another poster, constantly arguing with me. I just drop out of it and occasionally come back when they have got bored with getting no response and have also moved on.

There is no victory in having the last word, especially when it is at the expense of spoiling the thread for everybody else.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 19:13:05

Oh yes there is!! grin sorry, joking..

Bridgeit Mon 19-Feb-18 20:20:50

Forum = a medium where ideas & views on a particular issue can be Exchanged, ‘exchanged ‘as in written or expressed by an individual in their own given way.
It is the topic that is up for discussion

Debate = a formal legislative discussion in a public meeting usually ending in a vote.

My understanding is that Gransnet is the former , not the later. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

MawBroon Mon 19-Feb-18 20:32:15

Well!
WTH was all that meant to illustrate?
One person found somebody hard to understand , another didn’t. Wow!

Bridgeit Mon 19-Feb-18 20:34:39

Brilliant MawBroon,that’s exactly it, but apparently not if the delivery is not to another’s liking.

Bridgeit Mon 19-Feb-18 20:44:24

Since the beginning of time facial expressions & body language have been a vital part of how humans understand & communicate with each another.Take that away , and ones understanding of another is limited.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:53:26

If that woman had managed to put her points across in a calm and reasoned manner it may have been easier to understand her arguments.
Having watched part of the debate I found her irritating, jumpy, probably as you say, Bridgeit, passionate in her views, but trying to follow her points was difficult because of the way she delivered them. She also interrupted and talked across others who were trying to put forward their views. An annoying trait, as it could make listeners less inclined to be sympathetic to any valid points she may have.

In fact, a poor communicator although she is, I think, a university lecturer.

Bridgeit Mon 19-Feb-18 21:05:43

Yes definitely Jalima1108, I really wanted to follow what she was saying but it was a bit difficult and distracting , which is why I was interested to know if others felt the same or if it was just me.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 21:08:21

Her mannerisms were distracting, that's the word.
Coupled with a seeming inability to listen to anyone's point of view or believe that they could have a point it was extremely irritating and offputting, therefore her message failed to come through clearly.

lemongrove Mon 19-Feb-18 21:13:39

It wasn’t just you Bridgeit ?

Bridgeit Mon 19-Feb-18 21:24:33

Thanks Lemongrove , that’s a relief, I was getting worried that I had lost the plot?