Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think World Book Day needs a rethink.

(113 Posts)
trisher Sun 18-Feb-18 16:33:00

World Book Day on March 1st is supposed to be a celebration
World Book Day is a celebration! It’s a celebration of authors, illustrators, books and (most importantly) it’s a celebration of reading. In fact, it’s the biggest celebration of its kind, designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and marked in over 100 countries all over the world
But I think it's lost its way. My local supermarket is full of dressing up costumes. Would it be very remiss of me to suggest that instead of buying one of these parents would be better off giving the school money to buy new books.
I did used to love the day when we just cobbled costumes together. I was once Miss Trumbull from Matilda and far from scaring the childen they shouted for me to "Be her again" when I tried to step out of role!

silverlining48 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:08:22

I had never heard of this until my gc started school and this year has chosen a charcter from harry potter. My dd has two children to find costumes for and asked if i could make them. Well i am not a sewer but checked online and its much too complicated for me to even attempt it.
If shop bought will probably never be worn again, what a waste, particularly as they dont have the money to spare. Surely schools can enter into the spirit of book day without Imposing such costs. Doesn't help that the s chool is in a fairly wealthy catchment where everyone will certainly have the full monty.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 11:12:50

There seem to be so many dressing up days.
Lovely if life is swimming along like a dream, but having to find a pink outfit, a spotty one, an outfit with a '1' on it whilst life is throwing all sorts of other problems at you is no joke. They're all things my grandson (who isn't interested in any of it really) has had to wear to school in the last few months.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Feb-18 11:18:31

It shouldn’t be about costumes but it is, thankfully my two grandkids are now at high school/ college but it was a nightmare at primary The mothers all bought very expensive stuff off eBay / amazon etc no home made bits and bobs, no tea towels and although my daughter did her best with cut up sheets etc etc her kids always seemed at a disadvantaged as their mates showed up in sophisticated costumes no one likes to be different especially at school and a simple ‘ oh did your mum make that, can do damage to an already not too confident kid
Like you Siverlining ours was in a fairly affluent school
I think that it’s outlived it’s usefullness and should be changed to something else
Maybe a poll for the most popular book then the teacher can dress up for the day !!!

Daddima Mon 19-Feb-18 11:28:01

Glasgow comedian Joe Heenan posted this last year!

vickya Mon 19-Feb-18 11:32:34

Maggie Maybe a dustbin could be done with a large tall cardboard box, holes for his arms, cover the box with bin liner or other plastic. Or make it a green bin, green bin liner, and write a notice to sstick on saying re-cycleables only

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 11:33:03

My grandson went in his school uniform one time, and we told him he was an undercover cop!

Hm999 Mon 19-Feb-18 12:01:00

Schools that don't participate in such events are called killjoy. And the pupils in the main love it, especially when the teachers join in.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 12:08:26

trisher I think the children are each given a book token so that they can go and choose a book, so it's not all about dressing up, at least I hope not.

I did used to love the day when we just cobbled costumes together. I think some working mums dreaded it though - especially when you have more than one DC and there were no ready made costumes in those days!

W11girl Mon 19-Feb-18 12:43:56

Consumerism has taken the fun out of any celebration these days.. doesn't bode well when we are purchasing trashy fancy dress outfits and not using our imagination with the tools we have to hand. Sad so very sad.

Telly Mon 19-Feb-18 13:06:38

Totally agree, it would better if the money was actually spent on books, rather than who has the best Frozen outfit.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Feb-18 13:11:28

I will add that the kids might love it in the younger classes but the 9 10 11 year olds didn’t seemed very keen maybe it should be kept in the dressing up age group 5 to 8 say

trisher Mon 19-Feb-18 15:52:01

Jalima1108 I was a "working mum" as well you know. Costumes for 2 kids and me usually. They do get a book token but they are sometimes just handed out at home time with little fuss or explanation.
Daddima Loved the picture! grin

BBbevan Mon 19-Feb-18 16:05:42

* Anniebach* What would you chose to wear on March 1st. Welsh national costume or dress up as a book character. I volunteer at a local school and they have a St. David's Day concert. It will be interesting to see which wins. St. David's Day or Book Day.
When'll was at Primary school we had a concert in the morning on March 1sst and then a holiday in the afternoon.
Shame they discontinued that.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:07:22

It does seem to be one thing after another though, but I will say that World Book Day is a worthy one.
The DGD always seems to have one kind of dressing up day or non-uniform day, far more than I remember when the DC were at school and, of course, when I was a child there were none at all!
World Book Day, St David's Day, Red Nose Day, Children in Need Day, Christmas Jumper Day, Victorian School Day, Roald Dahl Day, Wrong Trousers Day, Humphrey's Pyjama Week (easy peasy one) etc etc

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/06/world-book-day-not-another-school-dressing-up-day-please_n_7388052.html

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:08:48

It will be St David's Day at the DGD's school, already planned and all the homework that goes with it. Perhaps they will manage to combine it.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 16:48:54

I've just asked grandson what happens on book day at school, and he said "No idea!" hmm obviously made a big impression on him.

jacq10 Mon 19-Feb-18 17:22:19

Our grandson's school is also having a pyjama day with the children taking their favourite bedtime story book. Big sighs of relief from the parents - especially those with more than one child in the school! Remember last year most of the older children didn't bother - think it should be restricted to 7 and under maybe?

Legs55 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:21:28

DGS1 loves World Book Day, he's nearly 8 & loves reading & books. DD does often buy costumes often sourcing on ebay or at car boot sales. She also sells on costumes that won't be used again although now she has my DGS2 (9 months) I suspect some will be kept for him.

I have bought DGS1 books right from the start & am now doing the same for DGS2. Anything which fosters a love of reading is good. I do recognise that some parents struggle, I used to make DD's dressing up costumes but I was quite handy with the sewing machine.

Rosiebee Mon 19-Feb-18 20:47:28

When DH and I were teaching at the same school, we once went in as Mr and Mrs Twit. Easy enough to do but couldn't wait to have a shower when I got home. Felt awful every time I saw my reflection. Hoped it wasn't a portent of things to come when I got older.
Our staff would dress up at the drop of a hat, I've been a naughty school girl - that was good as I could [mock] terrorise the children all day with my hockey stick, a pirate, a Roman lady and an Egyptian one. I've been retired 7 years but still have my costumes , all home made, just in case.
I do agree that it's now more about supermarket costumes than books. Should make it a World Book week where they could share books from different countries and have stories read to them everyday. I think storytelling should be compulsory, introducing them to lots of different authors and giving the time to re-read favourite stories. As an Infant teacher it was an activity I really loved. It feeds the imagination and helps to enrich their vocabulary when they come to write their own stories.
I shall now climb down from my hobby horse.

Deedaa Mon 19-Feb-18 22:05:47

Our primary school hasn't done it fgot a couple of years. GS1 wasn't a bit pleased because he lost his chance of dressing up. They are doing it again this year - possibly because of his endless complaints! He will be going as Hamlet (complete with skull if he can find it) and GS2 will be recycling the old Cat in The Hat costume. As a prelude to the day his teacher was asking them what their favourite book is. He couldn't think of one so she asked him what he's reading at the moment. His answer was "Astrology in Medieval Manuscripts" Exeunt teacher wishing she hadn't asked grin

widgeon3 Mon 19-Feb-18 22:22:42

We still have jumblesales in our parts of Hampshire.
Could the schools concerned not collect the discarded left over clothing, put it in boxes and then discuss with the children what might be cobbled togetherfor the book day with a little imagination If using scissors was a problem, the teacher could be on standby to cut anything up as required.

They then might realise what a nuisance it was!

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 22:25:30

That sounds a great idea!

Morgana Mon 19-Feb-18 22:39:56

We used to have a whole week of book activities when I was teaching. It was great fun. I dressed up once as a character from Jacqueline Wilson and got someone to draw a 'tattoo' of a snake down one arm!

Overthehills Mon 19-Feb-18 23:17:54

I don’t think my DGD gets a book token (in Scotland)? I agree with Trisher that it needs a bit of a rethink and love Marydoll’s face mask idea.

Marydoll Mon 19-Feb-18 23:48:02

Children in Scotland used to get £1 token, but now that I think of it, I didn't see it happening in the last few years before my retirement.