Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect my daughter not to be fined

(104 Posts)
granoffour Thu 15-Mar-18 12:19:54

My daughter's sister in law and her fiancé are getting married in York near the end of July. It's on a Thursday. My daughter and her husband are obviously going to go BUT they have to take my dGD who is in year 1 out of school (it closes on the Friday so she'd be missing school on the Thursday and Friday) They've tried approaching this with the head but he's simply said he can't authorise anything and they will be fined for taking her out of school. Is this fair? I don't think so. She has great attendance otherwise, apart from the off tummy upset or whatever. And she's only 6 years old. confused

Maggiemaybe Sat 26-May-18 12:43:16

One year, all my school’s training days had been set, but were amalgamated by a new Head into a full week course in the Summer holidays. So staff were able to have a “day off” on the INSET day itself. This wasn’t repeated, as parents did bump into staff in shopping centres etc “when they were supposed to be training”, so I can see what’s probably happened here.

SpanielNanny Sat 26-May-18 12:56:59

eazybee the school where my niece works sometimes hold ‘twighlight training’ after school. These sessions are ‘out of hours’ and the time is recorded. It allows the teachers to have the actual teacher training day of in lieu. I think this is where the confusion sometimes arises.

Relating to the op, I think it’s sad that in this day and age when we complain that there isn’t enough emphasis on family, children are being prevented from being part of very special family events.

SueDoku Thu 31-May-18 11:07:53

The stupid part of this is that every school will apply these rules differently. My DD is attending her BIL's wedding - with DGD as bridesmaid - on the Friday that school breaks up, and as it's a long way away, DGD will have to have Thursday off so that they can travel then.
DD asked at school, filled in a form giving details - and received a letter giving authorisation for the two days absence. No fuss, no threats of fines, just a sensible Headteacher and a happy family.