Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to ask if you are aware of the petition on gender identity and women's rights?

(117 Posts)
NoSquirrels Thu 15-Mar-18 19:10:57

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, or already being discussed here - I have come on over from Mumsnet as I want to make sure we're spreading the word on an important petition on consulting women on changes to the law that could impact on single-sex spaces and organisations.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/214118

From the petition wording:

The government proposes to amend the law to allow people to self-identify as men or women, and to stop allowing organisations in sensitive situations to exclude people of the opposite birth sex. We call for women to be consulted on how to protect women and girls' rights, safety, privacy and dignity.

Currently, in order to be recognised legally as the opposite gender from your birth sex (e.g. a man transitioning to live as a woman, or vice versa), trans people can obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) once they have lived as that gender for 2 years or longer, and have 2 medical opinions in their favour.

The proposals that are being discussed will allow people to "self-certify", so that the only requirement to obtain a GRC will be to fill in a form.

The lobby to allow this centres on it being a demeaning process for trans people, and medicalising their condition. Allowing someone to self-certify their own gender would alleviate distress for the small percentage of the population affected, they argue.

Women's groups feel they are being silenced for even discussing the issues that this could lead to in the future, such as elimination of safe spaces for women in all their forms. There is a vocal minority of trans-activists who are insisting on #nodebate and calling anyone who discusses it transphobic and bigoted. Yet it directly affects women's rights as it removes biological sex from the equation.

The media and politicians are both shy of discussing this issue. For instance, when Jenni Murray of Woman's Hour suggested that whilst trans people should be respected in their chosen genders they ought not to call themselves "real" women/men there was a huge backlash against her:

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/05/jenni-murray-transgender-not-real-women-sunday-times-magazine

This is a great article that explains the issues dispassionately:

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/can-we-have-an-honest-debate-about-gender/

If once you've had a read of the current position you felt inclined to sign the petition asking for a respectful debate on gender and women's rights, the petition link is:

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/214118

Greyduster Wed 21-Mar-18 10:35:49

Signed.

Mapleleaf Wed 21-Mar-18 11:24:09

Signed.

Mapleleaf Wed 21-Mar-18 11:48:53

Yes, I would agree that the Today programme interview today is worth a listen. Even having concerns which need to be listened to and debated can have you being labelled as transphobic!! I think Lucy Masood put her point across very lucidly indeed.

Rosieroe Wed 21-Mar-18 12:24:21

Thanks for alerting me to this petition NoSquirrels

It’s an extremely important issue and I feel Women’s rights are in danger of being sidelined in favour of p.c. transgender issues.

NoSquirrels Wed 21-Mar-18 16:29:43

Thank you all. If you feel you can share with others, please do. We need as many voices as possible that law change that affects women’s rights cannot be brought in by the back door. It’s not transphobic to ask fur debate.

FarNorth Thu 22-Mar-18 10:51:02

The petition is now over 7,500 signatures.

Many more signatures are needed, to show strength of feeling in the public.

If people are aware of these proposed changes and are happy with them, then fair enough.
I think most people are unaware of them, or believe that the 'person in the street' will not be affected.

NoSquirrels Fri 23-Mar-18 18:20:07

The petition is heading towards 8,000 now, but it would really benefit from being discussed in a wider forum than MN.

If any Gransnetters are members of women’s groups - Mother’s Union, WI, Townswomen’s Guilds, book groups etc - then it would be wonderful if it became a discussion point.

I fear this is being portrayed in the media as a “middle-aged feminist” issue and it’s much much wider than that.

This segment on the Today show was interesting, with the female firefighter Lucy Masoud

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061vb3g

Then there was this reaction in the press:

www.independent.co.uk/voices/lucy-masoud-fbu-lgbt-trans-london-fire-brigade-union-today-transphobic-a8267096.html

It’s really quite worrying how “transphobic” is being thrown around in the mainstream to discredit any discussion.

toscalily Fri 23-Mar-18 19:31:49

Signed

Moocow Fri 23-Mar-18 19:43:59

Surprised still need over 2,000 signstures just to get it brought to the MPs attention sad

NoSquirrels Fri 23-Mar-18 21:41:57

Part of the problem Moocow is that politicians are aware it’s a hot topic issue, but it’s so difficult to discuss at all as there is a powerful lobby to liberalise the laws without wider discussion - so everyone is wary of wading in and getting it “wrong”.

Scotland have just passed a law which changes the definition of “female” almost by stealth.

Jalyn Sat 24-Mar-18 07:15:53

Signed.

FarNorth Sat 24-Mar-18 10:17:05

Yas Necati, the writer of that article in the Independent, feels that the ManFriday women who went for a swim were mocking transgender people.
And that Lucy Masoud is wrong to think that a man might one day wake up and decide to be a woman.

In fact, they are trying to draw attention to the fact that, if self-identification becomes law, it will be legal for anyone, of any gender and any appearance, to enter any space.

And it will be illegal to exclude anyone from anything, based on gender, if they claim to be the gender required eg Guide camps, girls' and women's sports.

Yas Necati wishes to be able to speak with the ManFriday women and I hope that happens.

FarNorth Sat 24-Mar-18 10:19:46

^^ Possibly I should have used the word 'sex' instead of 'gender' in that post, as sex is a physical reality while gender is socially constructed.

TerriBull Sun 15-Apr-18 15:22:07

Reading The Sunday Times this morning it seems that transgender activists have contacted advertisers on MN to say that they will boycott their products if they don't remove their advertising from MN. Realistically radical trans gender are a small minority as opposed to the female sex per se who make up 51% of the population. They appear to have an inflated sense of their numbers, I can't imagine their withdrawal of support would amount to much compared to a boycott of a large body of women angered by any advertiser's stance who acted on the whims of a few. Justine Roberts has said she has been approached by three significant advertisers who have been threatened by these groups she also said "What is worrying to me is the thought police action around speech and shutting down the right to be able to disagree and immediately labelling it as transphobic"

Last week, Tara Woolf, an aggressive trans woman in his 20s was convicted of assaulting a feminist (who I believe is a woman over 60) at a rally relating to issues around protected female spaces.

minesaprosecco Sun 15-Apr-18 16:31:28

And MN have hidden their Feminism threads, for a trial period apparently. I think we here on GN should contact every advertiser on MN and say we're going to boycott them if they continue to be browbeaten by the TRAs. I'm going to anyway! Pleased to hear Tara Woolf has been convicted.

minesaprosecco Sun 15-Apr-18 16:38:45

Getting on my high horse a bit too soon (not like me at allgrin). Justin Roberts, the founder of Mumsnet, has made it clear that they're not going to be browbeaten. Also, no advertisers have pulled out yet, so hopefully this action is a storm in a teacup. But it is true that meetings to discuss the issues have been cancelled as a result of threats by the aggressive supporters of self ID, which is very worrying.

TerriBull Sun 15-Apr-18 17:42:09

Yes good for Justine Roberts making a stand against this bullying, there is such an overt aggression with SOME of these activists, As you say minesaprosecco no advertisers have pulled out yet I rather suspect they know what a small minority these so called activists are as opposed to the wider pool that makes up the mainly female membership of MN.

DameJudyClench Sun 15-Apr-18 18:28:15

Very happy to see that the petition has now hit the required 10,000 signatures it needs to be discussed in parliament.

SueDonim Sun 15-Apr-18 18:47:44

That's good news, DameJudy.

I hope Justine stands fast, too.

DameJudyClench Sun 15-Apr-18 19:27:53

She is. I read the comments beneath the Times article and an overwhelming majority were on her side. Very encouraging.

SueDonim Sun 15-Apr-18 19:32:48

V good!

DameJudyClench Sun 15-Apr-18 19:38:25

A lot of people are asking for a list of any companies that withdraw their advertising from Mumsnet so they can boycott them. Hopefully common (and Business) sense will prevail. We're the majority after all.

FarNorth Sun 15-Apr-18 20:11:14

Sorry DameJudy, the petition needs to get 100,000 signatures before it will be considered for debate in Parliament.
It's great that it has now achieved 10,000 signatures but that only entitles the petitioner to a government response.

I believe the petition needs to get a lot more than 100,000 signatures in order to be taken seriously by politicians.

silverdarlings Sun 15-Apr-18 20:53:10

signed

DameJudyClench Sun 15-Apr-18 21:10:25

Sorry. I got it arse about face. I'm just glad that it's out there. When I signed, there were only a few hundred signatures on it so I got a bit excited and carried away blush Hopefully some of the media will be a bit more critical of Self ID than they have been. If one more bloody reporter refers to us as Cis women....angry