Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to ask if you are aware of the petition on gender identity and women's rights?

(117 Posts)
NoSquirrels Thu 15-Mar-18 19:10:57

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, or already being discussed here - I have come on over from Mumsnet as I want to make sure we're spreading the word on an important petition on consulting women on changes to the law that could impact on single-sex spaces and organisations.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/214118

From the petition wording:

The government proposes to amend the law to allow people to self-identify as men or women, and to stop allowing organisations in sensitive situations to exclude people of the opposite birth sex. We call for women to be consulted on how to protect women and girls' rights, safety, privacy and dignity.

Currently, in order to be recognised legally as the opposite gender from your birth sex (e.g. a man transitioning to live as a woman, or vice versa), trans people can obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) once they have lived as that gender for 2 years or longer, and have 2 medical opinions in their favour.

The proposals that are being discussed will allow people to "self-certify", so that the only requirement to obtain a GRC will be to fill in a form.

The lobby to allow this centres on it being a demeaning process for trans people, and medicalising their condition. Allowing someone to self-certify their own gender would alleviate distress for the small percentage of the population affected, they argue.

Women's groups feel they are being silenced for even discussing the issues that this could lead to in the future, such as elimination of safe spaces for women in all their forms. There is a vocal minority of trans-activists who are insisting on #nodebate and calling anyone who discusses it transphobic and bigoted. Yet it directly affects women's rights as it removes biological sex from the equation.

The media and politicians are both shy of discussing this issue. For instance, when Jenni Murray of Woman's Hour suggested that whilst trans people should be respected in their chosen genders they ought not to call themselves "real" women/men there was a huge backlash against her:

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/05/jenni-murray-transgender-not-real-women-sunday-times-magazine

This is a great article that explains the issues dispassionately:

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/can-we-have-an-honest-debate-about-gender/

If once you've had a read of the current position you felt inclined to sign the petition asking for a respectful debate on gender and women's rights, the petition link is:

POGS Fri 16-Mar-18 19:36:20

Nope nothing in my e.mail anywhere!

Checked my details were correct!

I don't even get the message Primrose printed?

Absolutely no idea but obviously I am alone in having problems, very weird.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Mar-18 19:39:21

Mine arrived instantly in my inbox.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Mar-18 19:44:55

sorry, jut meant to add that if it doesn't then perhaps you have signed it already?

The email is just the link to send you to the petition to enable you to sign.
hmm

ApocalypseNowt Sat 17-Mar-18 09:33:31

I've written to my MP about this too. I've never written to my MP before so I'm not sure how long it usually takes to reply. One week and counting so far........

Please could I also encourage people to share this petition - facebook, twiiter, whatapp, etc. The more people that see it, the better!

Amma54 Sat 17-Mar-18 12:00:15

Signed and written to my MP. I can't see how to share it on Facebook but will hunt around.

winterwhite Sat 17-Mar-18 12:54:39

Signed.

MissTT Sun 18-Mar-18 17:12:58

We must be wary of mumsnetters coming over into other forums, as MN is beginning to have quite a ‘following’ shall we say of the more radical end of feminism which is denying the existence of trans persons. One should steer well clear IMHO.

Trying to discuss genes, and other pseudo science malarkey tends to be a key signature for an underlying transphobic POV. Ditto, is labelling women to nothing more than vagina owning birthing machines, which is everything feminism has been fighting since day one,

Let’s not go there, we can think for ourselves thank you.

Iam64 Sun 18-Mar-18 17:22:51

“We must be wary of mumsnet gets coming over into other forums......”. That sounds very like telling folks what to do and how to think MissTT

SueDonim Sun 18-Mar-18 18:17:46

Yes, MissTT, we can indeed think for ourselves. That is why we don't need you to tell us of what we must be wary. hmm

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:37:24

Mumsnetters welcome as long as you behave with decorum grin

And there are gransnetters of whom we need to be wary (can't think of any offhand, but there must be).

Lynnieg Sun 18-Mar-18 19:19:29

Mumsnet is not denying the existence of transwomen or transmen. There are many transitioned people joining in the discussions with many points of view.
What they are concerned about is the matter of self identification. This will mean that a man or woman can self identify as the opposite sex on their own validation. Because they feel like it.
Now in a lot of cases this will cause very few problems.
But it will cause problems in women's sport, in the Guides, women and men only swimming sessions.
The majority of male to female transsexuals do not have hormone or gender reassignment treatment.

This is about women giving up hard won spaces. Not men moving over or a third safe space being created

Google Danielle Moscato, Alex Drummond, Stefonknee Wolschtt. They are the tip of the iceberg.
We're not talking about people like April Ashley, Jan Morris and Miranda Yardley here!

Check out the case that's being heard at the moment
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/26/woman-punched-in-brawl-between-transgender-activists-and-radical-feminists

Or the intimidation that venues that agree to host Womens Place meetings suffer (Millwall for example!)

Or come and join the debate smile

NoSquirrels Sun 18-Mar-18 19:35:13

MissTT I was hesitant to come over to Gransnet as I certainly don’t want to “radicalise” anyone or “indoctrinate” anyone into anything.

I merely wanted to raise awareness of the petition and make sure it was being discussed among all demographics. I think my opening post made it clear that you were very welcome to “make up your own mind” on the matter.

Trying to discuss genes, and other pseudo science malarkey tends to be a key signature for an underlying transphobic POV.

Nowhere have I tried to do this, but I really MUST take exception to the idea that XX and XY are “pseudo-science” confused

The petition is currently being discussed in the national news. Anyone wishing to introduce the topic to people might like a link to The Independent coverage:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/topless-woman-male-only-swimming-pool-protest-gender-recognition-act-amy-desir-dulwich-south-london-a8261801.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

gulligranny Sun 18-Mar-18 19:58:34

Signed and shared. No problems with trans-gender matters and no wish to see anyone excluded, but I do think this needs to be more carefully though about.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Mar-18 20:07:40

Thank you for bringing it to our attention NoSquirrels.
I have passed it on the the Women's group that I belong to as well, and they are putting it on the agenda for the next committee meeting with the intention of alerting the National Executive (who probably already know).

maryeliza54 Sun 18-Mar-18 20:54:32

MissTT I’m a radical feminist who posts on here and on MN. I regularly read the feminist threads on MN and have yet to read posts that deny the existence of trans persons. What I do read are many many posts that want to protect women and girls from the loss of hard won rights and safe spaces that would occur if self identification goes ahead. I’m a biological woman and have lived that experience all my life - I will not have that reduced to a ‘feeling’ that can be owned by a biological man on a whim.

NoSquirrels Sun 18-Mar-18 21:00:39

Thanks to all who have signed, shared, discussed or indeed just read and considered it a f decided not to if they’d don’t want to.

My primary concern is awareness and a democratic process.

Lentilweaver Sun 18-Mar-18 21:50:57

genes are not pseudoscience malarkey
pseudoscience malarkey would be....oh, I don't know, talking about 'male brains' and 'female brains' with a atraight face.
No one is suggesting there aren't people who feel uncomfortable with the gender role they are expected to conform to. Boys who are gentle and artistic, girls who are sporty or sciency. But it's the ROLES that are the problem, not the genitals, let boys and men be however they want, wear whatever they want and likewise girls and women.

FarNorth Mon 19-Mar-18 19:07:11

The important point is that, if self-identification becomes law, it will be legal for any male to enter any "safe space" which has previously been female only.

There will be no need for a male to even attempt to "pass as a woman". Any male can declare himself to be female and can gain entry to women-only spaces. Or to girl-only spaces such as school dormitories, guide camps etc.

(The Guides organisation has already said that this is their policy and that parents will not be informed if a male-bodied guide is included in a group.)

It won't matter how uncomfortable, or even afraid, girls and women might feel about this. The male's right to feel comfortable will have legal priority.

This situation will clearly be wide open to abuse by some males who are not trans at all but are simply voyeurs or sex pests.

If you hope to avoid giving opportunities to predatory men and boys, please sign the petition named in the OP.

Stansgran Mon 19-Mar-18 20:32:28

Signed previously.

Stansgran Mon 19-Mar-18 20:33:08

Well done Mumsnet

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 20:51:03

Well put FarNorth

dbDB77 Tue 20-Mar-18 01:21:11

Signed the petition and received email confirmation.
Thanks to OP for this post - I will share info with friends.

dbDB77 Wed 21-Mar-18 08:51:22

Just listened to Lucy Masood discussing this issue on Today programme. She was impressive & lucid - explained the situation clearly, concisely & calmly but with conviction. Worth a listen on I-player.

Blinko Wed 21-Mar-18 10:12:12

Well said Marieliza and FarNorth

Bellanonna Wed 21-Mar-18 10:29:26

Signed. Getting on for 7000 signatures. Thank you NoSquirrels