Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be very annoyed at this ungrateful child?

(145 Posts)
minimo Fri 16-Mar-18 13:55:44

I look after my dgs once a week and we've got friendly with another gran who looks after her grandson (around same age as mine). It's been nice for me to have someone to chat to (and commiserate with when the kids get too high-spirited!) and we get on really well.

But her DGS is quite...something. He speaks to her really badly - shouts at her for forgetting his scooter or whatever, and generally treating her like his slave. She laughs it off and it's obviously not my business to comment so I've tried to ignore it hoping my dgs doesn't pick up any bad habits.

It was the boy's birthday last week so we took him a little present today. My dgs handed it over and the little boy ripped it open only to exclaim in disgust that he didn't like it and would throw it in the bin. My dgs had helped pick it out for his friend (it was a dinosaur puzzle so nothing too our of the ordinary I thought?) and I could see he was very confused and upset by this reaction. The other gran was apologetic but I was quite put out that she didn't set him straight - he should have been the one apologising. I know he's only 4 but surely manners should be taught from an early age? What do you think? Is this normal behaviour?

kathsue Mon 02-Apr-18 16:49:47

Minicub there's no need for you to throw a tantrum just because the little boy did! Have a little compassion.
Also read what icanhandthemback said a few days ago. She put it much better than I can.

MissAdventure Mon 02-Apr-18 16:37:35

hmm

Mincub Mon 02-Apr-18 16:28:20

What an ungrateful little brat!
I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to just accept that. I would have said well if it's not good enough for you we will give to another child who isnt so badly behaved as you!
And I would have said to the grandma..he may speak to you like this and you accept it but I dont have to. If a friendship is lost so be it, but it might just be the wake up call the child and the grandma needs.
God knows what his parents must be like!

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Mar-18 14:55:14

ps it's an easy mistake to make!

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Mar-18 14:55:00

Oops confused Jalima with Poppins
grin

icanhandthemback Fri 23-Mar-18 11:48:40

So at the grand old age of 4 this child is to be ostracised for his behaviour. He didn't stab anybody, he behaved in a way which is socially unacceptable as an adult but maybe that is because he is only 4. He'd certainly learn a lesson from that, one that says that old people are uncompromising whilst young children are to be excluded from nice company for the relatively small sin of not liking something they got for their birthday and having the honesty to say so. No turn the other cheek here or lead by example, just walk away from people if they make a mistake. That will make all the nice grandchildren nicer people!

Jools1953 Fri 23-Mar-18 00:30:33

I wouldn’t want my grandson associating with a horrible child like that. His granny is obviously embarrassed about his behaviour and she’s laughing it off in an attempt to minimise it.

alchemilla Thu 22-Mar-18 22:25:31

OP
As mentioned much earlier on, why don't you talk to the grandma, say how hurt your GS was about the present issue and just dig a little bit more into what the issues are. You could mention how hurt you are for her when he is verbally abusive to her. It could be an unhappy home with no rules he understands or any of a hundred other issues.
But if it doesn't work for your GS then leave the contact be.

Cherrytree59 Thu 22-Mar-18 20:53:36

Oops confused Jalima with Poppins. ?

Jalima1108 Thu 22-Mar-18 19:52:33

Cherrytree
Absolutely perfect, not practically!! grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 22-Mar-18 19:39:57

Apologises God

Cherrytree59 Thu 22-Mar-18 19:38:30

Bluegal
Yes. but for the grace of god....

Bluegal Thu 22-Mar-18 18:59:13

I have followed (most) of the comments on here. What I can deduce is that all those who resort to calling this 'unknown' child a brat, spoilt etc have absolutely no idea about children with any type of problem. I readily admit I do not know whether this child in question is just plain rude, doesn't have any guidance.....but then.........neither do any of you!

Shame on you Grandparents....so quick to judge and refusing to listen to possible explanations.

I feel sorry for all of you. One day there may be a child who enters your life and you will suddenly realise just how judgemental you have been..........but for the Grace of God................

Cherrytree59 Thu 22-Mar-18 18:10:03

grin Iam64

Iam64 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:47:00

That would be me then Cherrytree59 grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 22-Mar-18 16:48:30

It would seem that in their day some Gran's on GN were practically perfect as children ?

Were of course the perfect parent
*In their day*?

And are now the perfect grandparent,
with delightful well mannered and well behaved grandchildren ?

gmelon Thu 22-Mar-18 16:26:06

I had a horrendous childhood.
I was also polite when given a gift.
There wasn't any excuse for bad manners in my day and there still isn't.

Grandma70s Mon 19-Mar-18 18:26:27

Well said, Feelingmyage55 Very good points.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 19-Mar-18 18:02:36

When my children were four I was trying very hard to teach them to be honest and then along came “the good manners white lie” to put a spanner in the works. Fortunately they grasped the “Thank you for the present (no matter what)” lesson after a while but it is not simple at four years old. I have read a thread here from grans about unwanted presents and bearing some of the comments in mind perhaps a little more understanding of the truth versus white lie would be an idea. Sometimes even adults don’t get “it is the thought that counts” and a child so young might be given some leeway and hope that granny explained afterwards.

paddyann Mon 19-Mar-18 17:33:40

you dont go from being 3 to being four in a huge jump its one day at a time so a three year old who is without doubt too babyish for school wont change instantly to a mature 4 year old just because the calendar says he's 4 .Children all mature at different rates my 4 yr old D was a very grown up girl and happy to go out into the world ,my 4 year old son clung and screamed if we tried to leave him.Both were raised the same way,yes both were well mannered at 4 but there were other differences in their development ,maybe because DS was very prem and took along time to catch up both physically and emotionally .So I would never call a child names..I have no idea whats gone on a wee life to upset them or even just make them tired and out of sorts.I'm quite shocked at the reaction of many on here ,I think although we're all grans we must be diferent generations though even my mother or grandmother wouldn't have called any little one a brat .

lemongrove Mon 19-Mar-18 14:12:16

Maw ?soft play centres are a jungle aren’t they? I keep an eye firmly on the younger DGC when in them, as it’s common for small ones to be barged over and trampled, shoved out of the way etc.
All a learning curve for them and a soft landing at least, but they still need a wee bit of supervision.

MawBroon Mon 19-Mar-18 10:51:38

I do think that some grandparents can be more permissive and even defensive with their grandchildren than they would have even with their own children.
Personally, if nobody else is looking, I am not above fixing a naughty child with a Paddington style hard look if he is not behaving well around little DGS as happened at a play centre recently when I was on Granny duty in Stratford!
(And the child was truly off the wall, even his mum hoiked him out and threatened to take him home!)

OldMeg Mon 19-Mar-18 09:20:44

I never said ‘what a brat’ did I? So those who think I did need to look again.

And where did I say anything ‘dogmatic’ mcen I think you will find I use the words ‘some’ and ‘certain younger people’ which is actually the opposite. Your post reminded me of a little Jack Russell I know, snappy and ready to bite at the least provocation that’s what was amusing.

There are two opposite poles of opinions on here. Those who think the child isn’t to blame and those who think him a ‘brat’.

What I’ve bern saying all along is that the child will never learn manners if he is not shown that his behaviour is not acceptable. And there are ways of doing that which are appropriate for his age and personality and, if need be, take account of any behavioural issues he might be exhibiting.

For instance had I said to GS1 at that age ‘how rude!’ that would have been enough to pull him up and make him think. And I’d have then explained to him how upsetting his behaviour was and asked him to apologise. Taking the same tactic with GS2 might not have been as effective and, when he did something very similar, I requisitioned the gift for myself. These are only examples and possibly not very good ones at that!

If it was my rather sensitive GD (who actually wouldn’t have done that) I’d have taken an entirely different approach.

So the point is, manners do matter, but there are ways of teaching them dependent on the child. Simply ignoring bad behaviour is often condoning it, unless there is a very good reason for doing so (and sometimes there are).

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 08:57:31

As I said previously to call a child horrid or a brat on a tiny snapshot is in my opinion awful and judgemental No child’s born rude and ungrateful usually something has happened to cause the anger and before writing him off look to see if there is a problem

mcem Mon 19-Mar-18 08:53:16

Sorry I don't find dogmatic attitudes and rudeness funny!
However if it amuses you...........