Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vomiting on TV

(64 Posts)
Sourcerer48 Fri 23-Mar-18 11:19:03

AIBU to wonder why almost every series or program on TV has someone graphically vomiting?
Not just the sound, which is bad enough, but the image close-up which is revolting! (Cant be nice for the actors either) Is this really a necessary part of any story-line one has to ask?

MissAdventure Tue 27-Mar-18 00:09:26

I don't mind kissing, or who's doing it, but they make some really slurpy noises sometimes..

NudeJude Mon 26-Mar-18 23:58:45

I have always felt that to actually see the vomit is unnecessary, the sound effects are quite enough, although it doesn't bother me to the point of feeling ill myself or having to turn away.

What DOES bother me, is what seems to be the endless scenes of gay people kissing mostly on the soaps. We all know there are gay people, and what they chose to do is up to them, but if you watch the soaps, you could be forgiven for thinking that at least 50% of the population is gay, and there seems to be far more scenes of gay people kissing than ordinary couples. I don't know whether they do it for the shock value, or whether the aim is to make it acceptable to the majority to see gays kissing in the street, but I really find it over the top and to a degree unacceptable. Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic, but didn't feel it necessary to start a new post.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 25-Mar-18 08:55:29

On these programmes they often announce if you have been ......... then please phone this number. Could always phone about the gagging problem.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 25-Mar-18 08:53:56

I saw worse yesterday while having lunch in a trendy cafe in a very well to do part of the city. A young boy, 10 or 11 was with his dad, they were playing chess while waiting. When this boy starting eating he had the most disgusting habits, cramming food into his mouth then eating with it with his mouth open and talking, food kept coming out onto his chin. NOW this made me gag and there was no off button.

eebeew Sun 25-Mar-18 06:46:04

The graphic sex is unnecessary and embarrassing. Must be horrible for the actors. Have you noticed the face of the female participant is the one we are shown during sex, very rarely the male.

Stella14 Sun 25-Mar-18 03:40:37

I watch a lot of films at the cinema and on TV. A few years ago, I concluded that vomiting had replaced sex for ‘shock’ value. I truly hate it. I wince and go all peculiar at vomiting, heaving or seeing people eat in too much detail. Certainly, shocks me more than any sex scene!

Carole28 Sat 24-Mar-18 23:39:32

I agree we don't need to see people vomiting and we don't need to see them sitting on the toilet either which also seems to be on TV more and more

Deedaa Sat 24-Mar-18 20:41:57

I'm a fan of Doctors and there was a spell a few months ago when at least one person would vomit in every episode. It reached a point where we were making bets on Facebook about who would be the next to vomit, and how far into the episode it would happen. Even non phobic people were getting pretty fed up because it's a lunchtime programme and not really what you want to watch while you're eating. I don't know if the BBC took any notice of the complaints, but it has been better lately.

Bluegal Sat 24-Mar-18 19:20:29

This thread has made me laugh so much! Imitation vomiting bothering me? I don't think so.... If you want idealistic t.v. rather than realistic, you should still be watching In the night garden. It's life...it happens.... As someone said, what upsets me are REAL events. Get a grip guys.

Rosina Sat 24-Mar-18 18:06:57

It is truly distressing to see the horrors of the world unfolding on the news every night- a great deal of it does make you weep. It also stays with you and I am often haunted if I wake in the small hours by indelible pictures of what man inflicts on man...but I do think the OP was unlikely to be regarding her comments as a 'first world problem' - that could be said of many threads on Gransnet as we are first world people, are we not?

There are many intelligent and well educated women who contribute to this site, and there are thought provoking ideas and opinions discussed with much gravitas; perhaps some are looking at the wrong threads for their own particular taste?

Direne3 Sat 24-Mar-18 17:28:31

An actor vomiting and documentaries of graphic medical operations (which my DH can't cope with) have no real impact on me. However, what does distress me greatly is the sight of fish thrashing about in their death throes in so many of our local news programmes (we live in the South West).

grannyqueenie Sat 24-Mar-18 17:07:38

Indeed, OldMeg, 1st world problem springs to mind.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 24-Mar-18 17:04:39

Dosn't bother me much tbh but on programmes like I'm a celebrity my DD and I gag when the contestants hold things in there mouths (eg crayfish). We both have strong gag reflexes, dentist visits a nightmare when any tools/ x rays involved. I am unable to hold anything other than food in my mouth without gagging and even thinking about holding a pencil/ pen/ cigarette/ peg mags me heave ( currently breathing heavily to stop it happening as I write this. I suppose on TV as long as there is not too much gagging sound I sort of ignore the actual vomit confused

GrammaH Sat 24-Mar-18 16:19:55

I don't like it either but I have to say that it never sounds very realistic, more like coughing usually. Poor DH used to get dreadful migraines & was always really sick with them so we are experts in real vomiting sounds & we often laugh at the pathetic acting attempts at authenticity!!

BlueBelle Sat 24-Mar-18 15:01:26

It doesn’t really bother me thankfully
I agree Mawboon if you re watching hospital programmes or even dramas where there’s blood sweat and desth you will probably see it but I ve not seen that much apart from Casualty, Holby and a few murder mysteries Never happens with all the sweet gooy cakes that Mary Berry makes ??

SueDonim Sat 24-Mar-18 14:36:54

I watched three separate programmes last night on tv. None involved vomiting. I can't imagine what you're all watching!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 24-Mar-18 13:44:28

Nothing left to the imagination any more although we are often pre warned of scenes ' some may find offensive.'
Other than ones viewing reduced to gardening, diy and cookery there is little option but to grin and bear it.
What is of interest to me and if not tricks of the camera, how real are these no holds barred, heaving and heavy breathing acrobatic fully naked bedroom scenes.?

OldMeg Sat 24-Mar-18 12:15:21

I have however, seen little children being pulled from the ruins of bombed building or in makeshift hospitals.

Now that is truly distressing,

OldMeg Sat 24-Mar-18 12:14:18

Never seen this. Must be watching the wrong programmes, thankfully.

Elrel Sat 24-Mar-18 12:10:34

Strawberri - I was luckier than you. I was certain that I could never deal with vomit until, in my first teaching post, a child threw up. I realised that, actually, I could.
Worst, over the years, were the summer coach trips, the sufferer was all too often a girl with long loose hair which needed rapidly grabbing out of the way, preferably as soon as we heard 'Miss, I think I'm going to be ...'
Just as well I was ok when I first babysat tiny GS, a projectile vomit expert. Although warned I had no idea of either the volume or distance he achieved!

JanaNana Sat 24-Mar-18 12:09:00

It is very off- putting but sometimes happens quickly or unexpectedly that you don,t realise it's about to happen. When we were in the forces we lived in Germany for a few years in the 70s and seeing every single bodily function shown in such a graphic way on German TV on everyday programmes was an eye opener to say the least. Coming back to the UK television programmes seemed genteel! in comparison.

Peardrop50 Sat 24-Mar-18 11:58:07

We are all too stupid and obviously lacking in imagination that we have to have everything spelt out in glorious technicolour.
Doris Day and Rock Hudson had single beds, she got pregnant and wore a loose smock. The baby appeared in a bassinet and the story continued. No noisy sex scenes, no morning vomiting, no screaming birthing, how on earth did we follow the plot!

Tweedle24 Sat 24-Mar-18 11:44:08

It does not nauseate me (I was a nurse for many years and have seen far worse) but I really do not see the point. It would be easy enough to let the audience know it was happening without actually showing graphic footage.
It just seems to me that the culture is moving towards a life without privacy.

SueDoku Sat 24-Mar-18 11:42:24

I watch a fair bit of TV and can truthfully say that I can't remember ever seeing someone vomitting - either in a documentary or a drama - so like nipsmum I don't know what programmes you're all watching... confused
To say that it's in 'every programme' is a wild exaggeration, as it's not in the documentaries, news, quizzes, comedies, reality show (just the one - SCD) etc that I spend approx 4 hours a day watching. I'd suggest watching a wider range of programmes - there are plenty out there minus vomit..!

Rosina Sat 24-Mar-18 11:41:23

If only, nipsmum. The incident I mentioned came completely without warning and often you need to look away hastily; perhaps there should be a symbol at the beginning of programmes ; perhaps 'S, V, Vo' to warn of sex, violence and vomiting.