Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vomiting on TV

(63 Posts)
Sourcerer48 Fri 23-Mar-18 11:19:03

AIBU to wonder why almost every series or program on TV has someone graphically vomiting?
Not just the sound, which is bad enough, but the image close-up which is revolting! (Cant be nice for the actors either) Is this really a necessary part of any story-line one has to ask?

vampirequeen Fri 23-Mar-18 11:22:24

I don't think so but it seems to be the way things are going. If it happens when I'm watching I switch off if there is time otherwise I have to rush to the bathroom to join in. I know interactive TV is the new thing but I really don't want it to be that interactive.

Windyweather Fri 23-Mar-18 11:28:37

I agree - I absolutely hate it and, if I'm quick enough, turn the tv to another channel! My husband feels the same, we both go eughh!!

There is so much shown on tv that is completely unnecessary, including graphic sex and violence that could be inferred, rather than shown in detail!

Grannybags Fri 23-Mar-18 11:38:31

I agree. I have to look away and put my fingers in my ears!

lemongrove Fri 23-Mar-18 11:38:50

I simply can’t watch it, turn away fast!

lemongrove Fri 23-Mar-18 11:39:21

I’m ok with sex and violence.grin

Grannybags Fri 23-Mar-18 11:43:19

lemongrove grin

Caroline2016 Fri 23-Mar-18 12:11:15

I agree , find it totally disgusting.

gillybob Fri 23-Mar-18 12:16:07

Have you noticed when anyone talks about vomiting they make a hand gesture that is supposed to look like the sick gushing out grin

Teetime Fri 23-Mar-18 12:16:57

Horrible isn't it as is seeing someone sat on the loo or a real problem for me cleaning their teeth and talking to someone while doing it - makes me gag!

sodapop Fri 23-Mar-18 12:32:35

And why do we always have scenes with men using urinals, too much information! !

pensionpat Fri 23-Mar-18 12:44:32

And more and more often, when actors cry, they produce more than tears!

gillybob Fri 23-Mar-18 12:45:52

My sister sometimes phones me from the toilet which I find disgusting .

It’s as if she’s thinking .....I need to speak to Gillybob but don’t want to waste too much time .

harrigran Fri 23-Mar-18 13:08:57

I find it revolting too, just no need.
Watching Damned the other night and they showed an addict's bathroom, I retched and retched. I know it was created for the drama but TMI.

MawBroon Fri 23-Mar-18 13:12:44

It is only acting and if actors can’t do it , they are not actors, (as for it being “not nice” for actors hmm you may think that, I doubt they do. )
And as for every series or programme, I would question that, you may need to check your viewing choices or alternatively try the Off button.

JenniferEccles Fri 23-Mar-18 13:24:37

Yes it's awful isn't it?
Casualty is one of the chief offenders, but I can often anticipate it happening, so I look away quickly and say 'vomit alert' to warn hubby!

Charleygirl Fri 23-Mar-18 13:35:05

I appear to be eating supper when this happens and I hate it. It does not seem to matter what time I dine, this frequently happens. Not pleasant also if I am enjoying a glass of wine.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Mar-18 14:00:32

Its never very realistic, so doesn't bother me.

MawBroon Fri 23-Mar-18 14:17:55

Casualty is one of the chief offenders

Vomiting in A&E, well there’s a surprise! confused
Blood too no doubt. ??

Try “Gardeners World” or “Esacape to the Country” you should be safe enough there.

Menopaws Fri 23-Mar-18 14:27:50

Not a fan, realise makes it authentic but no thanks

Pittcity Fri 23-Mar-18 14:56:11

The "suspect" vomited onto the floor at the end of Shetland but when he collapsed the floor was clean! Are police station carpets extra absorbent?

JenniferEccles Fri 23-Mar-18 16:52:48

I am 'safe enough' with Casualty thank you very much MawBroon. I was merely pointing out how the vomiting on that programme seems to be shown in such graphic detail recently.

I think people can do without the unnecessary comment drawing people's attention to the 'off' button on the tv too.

Cherrytree59 Fri 23-Mar-18 17:04:48

Makes me feel physically sick envy
Unfortunately by the time its on TV its too late.
I have 'vomit' Phobia
I'm actually bouking (gagging) at the moment and wondering why I even clicked on the tread!!

Bellasnana Fri 23-Mar-18 17:17:37

Totally agree. It is revolting and unnecessary. ?

Seaside22 Fri 23-Mar-18 17:26:45

Me too Cherrytree.I can't watch any hospital programmes now, including one born which I love, I wish they could give a warning at the beginning, as emetophobia is one of the most common phobias now, and it does seem to be occurring much more nowadays