Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is this odd behaviour for a bride?

(106 Posts)
petitpois Fri 23-Mar-18 12:42:40

My son is getting married in the summer. This will be my new daughter in law's second marriage - the first ended in a rather messy divorce so I'm told. She's been really enthusiastic about the wedding - who would't be? - and thrown herself wholeheartedly into a big white wedding. But what I'm finding really strange is that there are certain things she is doing that are exactly the same as her first wedding. The most odd (to me) is that she is planning on wearing the same dress. Wouldn't that taint the day for you somewhat? Money is not an issue - I know my son has offered a few times to buy her a new dress and her parents are very well off too plus they both have good jobs.

RomyP Fri 08-Nov-19 20:12:25

Come on petitpois, what happened next?

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Nov-19 08:46:07

I did read the date but the posters before me were recent and I'd just come across that rather..er...buxom lady so added the photo.

When I read the OP I thought what business is it of yours you wazzock?
Keep your nose out of their wedding arrangements and gawd help your new daughter in law

wildswan16 Sun 03-Nov-19 14:05:16

annodomini - it has only been resurrected because some stupid troll person contributed to it. Unfortunately that means it comes up as active again and nobody reads the first date. (He was touting a website but I can't remember what for!).

Flossie777 Sun 03-Nov-19 12:47:53

Wedding photos of the bride will be a bit odd, wedding A or B

Greyduster Sat 02-Nov-19 17:43:35

What is it with some women and their wedding dresses. I was passing our Town Hall a week ago when a bride came out wearing a dress so see through you could clearly see her underwear. I mentioned it to DH and had to yank him back before he went and had a look for himself?!

callgirl1 Sat 02-Nov-19 16:56:53

Cripes!!!!

BradfordLass72 Sat 02-Nov-19 07:23:16

At least she didn't look like this - I hope.

annodomini Fri 01-Nov-19 10:01:43

This is an old thread. I wonder why it has been resurrected. Perhaps the OP can tell us how matters progressed!

LondonGranny Fri 01-Nov-19 09:44:35

I would have happily got married in the same dress I wore for my disastrous first marriage. It was so beautiful, 1920s eau de nil silk with embroidery and bugle beads (not long and white, I hate the meringue look). My grandmother gave it to me but it was antique, fragile and just not up to it.

In the end I think society puts too much emphasis on the wedding, not the important bit that comes afterwards.
The worst thing a bride can feel on her wedding day is uncomfortable. If she loves the dress and feels great in it, that's the important thing.

wildswan16 Fri 01-Nov-19 09:02:29

Reported

loganbourne Fri 01-Nov-19 08:47:46

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

willa45 Sun 25-Mar-18 16:10:16

Some second thoughts......

Eebeew.....Not exactly the same thing.....this was Prince Williams first marriage.

Petipois

A mother's instinct is a very powerful thing and I don't think you're being unreasonable to be uncomfortable with your DIL's choice of dress.

Having said that, even if you are convinced that something is amiss here, the risk is high that you will create a permanent rift if you try to intervene. It's your son's wedding too...Let him sort it out.

Magrithea Sun 25-Mar-18 13:44:33

the dress didn't bring unhappiness, the marriage did so why not wear it again if she likes it!? It's not up to you what the bride wears - watch 'Say Yes to the Dress' (the US versions not the poor relation UK one!) for opinionated mums, mil's, sil's etc!

eazybee Sun 25-Mar-18 11:03:22

Oh, I agree with you about that engagement ring, slightly unhealthy.
And I read somewhere that Prince Harry wants MM to copy his mother's wedding dress. I am hoping that was simply journaleese.
Entirely trivial, I know.

maddy629 Sun 25-Mar-18 07:35:51

I would be much too superstitious to do that, why does she still own the dress?

eebeew Sun 25-Mar-18 06:41:16

It like Prince William giving Kate His mother’s engagement ring!

damewithaname Sun 25-Mar-18 05:53:18

While you still can, change your mindset about her. To continue a suspicious way of thinking of her will result in YOU having a bad relationship with her. And ultimately, this behaviour could lead to them parting ways in years to come. Dont be that MIL...

damewithaname Sun 25-Mar-18 05:47:43

What will you say when she surprises everyone with her new dress?

willa45 Sat 24-Mar-18 21:46:07

paddyann.....Yes....I completely agree with you that many marriages don't last forever and that there are couples who don't mean what they say or don't value sentiment at all.

This situation however appears to be the opposite....like many here have pointed out, why would any woman whose first marriage ended badly, commemorate that marriage by wearing the same wedding dress again?

So, unless I missed a thread, I'm still curious about other details surrounding her first wedding, that this bride intends to recreate.

Shizam Sat 24-Mar-18 21:22:13

I hired mine on basis I wouldn’t wear it again!

marmar01 Sat 24-Mar-18 20:56:34

very odd i can not think of any woman who would want to wear the same wedding dress even if it was hand made by elves and cost a fortune. its just going to be a rehash of first wedding. i wouldn't even wear the same dress to a wedding as a guest

cherryblossom Sat 24-Mar-18 19:49:33

Very odd, cannot imagine why she saved the dress in the first place after unpleasant divorce. Maybe it is a beautiful very expensive designer piece. Asked my happily married son what he thought, reply was he thought it very strange and surely she would want something unique to their relationship and very special day. He thought it was a bit creepy

paddyann Sat 24-Mar-18 19:40:52

Willa45 but how many of those meaningful vows last any length of time? Its not ABOUT a day ..its about a lifetime and surely a dress shouldn't be a bone of contention .Maybe brides should worry less about the frills ,the candy carts ,the most expensive ring and think about what comes after ...and I've spent over 40 years in the Wedding industry ,they get more and more lavish and sadly dont last ."meaningful vows" should actually MEAN something .I heard of a bride yesterday who was picking her wedding ring ,they apparently both wanted diamond band rings ...until she decided she wanted TWO diamond bands one for each side of her engagement ring and told him he could just buy a cheap silver ring and nobody would know the difference????? Is that what a marriage should be about?

Telly Sat 24-Mar-18 18:55:10

Baggs - yes I think it would bother a lot of brides if the groom wanted to wear the same suit that he had worn for previous weddings. I don't think this is particularly a m v f post. But I am starting to wonder if it is real!

willa45 Sat 24-Mar-18 18:28:57

My two cents again.....
Petipois,

How symbolic and how much is she recreating?
Where I live (USA), couples spend a lot of time composing meaningful vows that they read to each other during the ceremony.
A special song ('their song') ....is their first they dance together as a married couple. The wedding dress is chosen to impress the groom for that all important walk down the aisle! The choice of rings is also symbolic.

If my son's bride insisted on things like he wear a certain suit, use an unusually different church, use same ring, same music or a wedding song that wasn't theirs, that would be a red flag. A fantasy where my son could inadvertently be a surrogate for the 'real' thing, would be very worrisome and what about when the fantasy is over?!

But, it may be that she truly loves her dress (and I hope that's all it is), AND if all her other wedding 're-dos' are inconsequential (as opposed to symbolic).....then and only then, would I do my best not to blow this out of proportion.