Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to sell my bungalow abroad mid Brexit?

(37 Posts)
sundancecowboy Sun 25-Mar-18 09:25:28

Or won't it make the slightest bit of difference?

{Have name changed.} Looking to move back to UK but pondering the wisdom of selling just now.

Local estate agents say the market here is improving. Rental prices are increasing. Tourism is higher than ever.

I'd say our typical 'buyer' is likely early retired and looking for a permanent/holiday home in a safe environment.

I'm in disagreement with my stbexp about some of the photos......and would appreciate some gransnet opinion. Is the kitchen too dated?

www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-59871875.html

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Apr-18 23:12:56

The kitchen looks in keeping with the house imo. You could take all the magnets off the fridge/freezer perhaps - de-personalise is the way to help sell houses, so I've heard.

You could spend money refurbishing only to find that new owners don't like it and would rip it out anyway. Perhaps you could paint the bathroom cabinets white to brighten up that room?

I see you have sitting tenants in slide No. 18 - do they come with the property?

lemongrove Mon 09-Apr-18 22:25:09

Hope you manage to sell soon.....btw haven’t noticed any ‘sentimental’ posts on here at all, just helpful ones and ones that admire your home ( nothing sentimental about that!) smile

Smithy Mon 09-Apr-18 22:18:04

Just went back to your thread for another look , sundance, sorry to hear the reason for you leaving Paphos. Wishing you all good things for the future.

Eloethan Mon 02-Apr-18 18:18:46

It looks very nice, and reasonably priced too (though I don't know what the market is like in Cyprus).

I like the second photo.

Sorry to hear you're splitting up. Hope all goes well and you find something nice in the UK.

petra Mon 02-Apr-18 17:47:35

Good for you Sundance
There's always another adventure grin

sundancecowboy Mon 02-Apr-18 15:32:19

Thank you Smithy. We're only selling because we are splitting up and I seriously considered staying here by myself but I'd have to buy a smaller place and it's the privacy I have here that's a big part of the dream.

Still - who knows what might happen in the future.

Smithy Mon 02-Apr-18 15:08:24

I agree - how can you bear to leave. The couple I know who are also selling up say it's because they are getting old ( aren't we all!) and are worried about being on their own. I always dreamed of living in a warmer country, but it wasn't feasible without a partner. Good luck!

sundancecowboy Mon 02-Apr-18 11:15:45

The second one will go on asap then - thank you.

It is hard annsixty. The sun is fabulous - it's been warmer this year and I've forgotten about all that snow and cold. I'll need a log burner in my new place!

I'd keep it if I could afford two homes but my premium bonds are yet to come up! sad

Situpstraight Mon 02-Apr-18 11:10:12

Second. Nice pic.

annsixty Mon 02-Apr-18 11:00:49

They are both so good I can't choose but how I wish I could have some of that sun.
The very best to you but how can you leave It?
It is pouring with rain and cold here today?

sundancecowboy Mon 02-Apr-18 10:52:01

Oops... here they are...

sundancecowboy Mon 02-Apr-18 10:45:12

Here's a couple of the front that I took yesterday... which is best?

The first - or second? smile

petra Mon 02-Apr-18 10:09:45

sundance
Surveys show that a house is sold, or not, in the first 4 mins of people viewing the outside.
We know that experienced byers will see past anything negative.
I'm not saying that there is anything negative from the outside. But looking at your pics again I would advise to get some colour in the beds and a big splash of colour in the pot. You've got to grab them in that first 4mins, and there's nothing like colour to give that ?

sundancecowboy Sun 01-Apr-18 18:07:51

Thank you for your thoughts Lisalou - its a great size - just not to everyones taste - but then I'm not sure a brand new kitchen would look quite right either!

Lisalou Sun 01-Apr-18 17:02:19

I like the kitchen, dated or not. Having said that, I would not do any refurbishments with the intention of selling, you will not make up the investment, and may find, after doing a refit, that the new owners go in and refit it again, to their own taste. it is a waste of time and money to renovate when selling, IMO.

sundancecowboy Sun 01-Apr-18 12:23:04

You are right about the pots - they're all my 'babies' waiting to grow - which they do fast out here - we can redo those pictures - and today is a perfect sunny day to do it.

Lots more of the plants are flowering too.

I totally get the idea that the kitchen and bathrooms are a bit dated and if I was selling in UK they'd be upgraded before going on the market as it's a lot cheaper and easier to do there. Lots of kitchens are not solid wood either so they could be painted - there's a company here that does it - I might consider if it doesn't sell but the good thing about it not selling is that I get to stay here in the sun a bit longer.

There is someone very interested and their apartment sale fell through which again is unusual here as you have to put a 10% deposit down to secure your offer and the sale is normally completed within 4 weeks!

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 11:51:50

I would rather buy a home which could do with a refurb of the kitchen and bathroom so we could have our own choice of fitments and layout. I have had agents saying to me that it it is not worth redoing these places as most people want to do their own thing. I always look at the layout and possible reorganisation etc if I want it and possible extension if needed - I look past the decoration etc which may or not be to my taste.
A tidy garden is always good as they take a lot of manual work if you want to change those!!

Situpstraight Sun 01-Apr-18 11:18:04

I’m with Jollyg on this, nowadays you have to dress the property, at least for the photographs, to get people in the door.
clear the personal bits and bobs away, put old garden pots in the shed and just leave out nice ones with healthy plants in them. Lay the table with dinner service and cutlery. Get matching cushions on sofas. Dress the bed and bedroom. Get a friends viewpoint ( the non sentimental view) and then take some good photos to give to your agent.
I’ve sold a few properties and it seems to work.
Unless a property is priced low, buyers will always try to knock the price down to cover the repainting/refurb etc.
Do it all yourself and get the asking price.
With a few tweaks you shouldn’t have too many problems selling.

jollyg Sun 01-Apr-18 10:45:36

It looks a bit sad with plant plots with stems in them.

A little bit of colour should brighten up any dull corner.

First think folk see on the pix is dead plants, the new buyers can choose what they want.

paint is a personal choice.

You have to look at it with a buyers eye, and take the sentimental comments here , just as what they are!

Im sure you will sell it easily. But I am not an estate agent!!!!!

Good luck .

Smithy Sun 01-Apr-18 10:07:45

Just leave it as it is Sundance, and I'll have it! I wish! I love Paphos, Ive been quite a few times and if I had a partner I could live there.

jeanie99 Sat 31-Mar-18 23:56:30

To be honest the kitchen is dated as does what I can see of the bathroom.

If I was purchasing I would factor in the cost of a refit.

Other than that it just needs a lick of paint and most people have their own ideas.

If you are going to rent leave it as is.

sundancecowboy Mon 26-Mar-18 14:27:54

Some great suggestions Missfoodlove - I'll suggest those are added. All the doors are solid wood. Plenty of ex pat communities all round. smile

Missfoodlove Mon 26-Mar-18 10:11:08

I would include in the details possible rental income, this is important for some purchasers. Also what about Ex pat communities nearby?
Are the kitchen units solid wood? If so this should be mentioned as spraying/painting would be worthwhile
Good Luck.

Deedaa Sun 25-Mar-18 22:46:32

I think it looks lovely! I could happily move in tomorrow - if only!

sundancecowboy Sun 25-Mar-18 21:14:07

Thank you smithy. I will definitely miss Paphos. grin