Gransnet forums

AIBU

What is with all these word game threads ?

(48 Posts)
Divawithattitude Tue 03-Apr-18 23:22:58

They are clogging up the conversation yet seem so popular with people..................................

SueDonim Thu 19-Apr-18 21:40:33

Farnorth, thank you for that mobile site tip! I'd failed to find the arrow, too.

FarNorth Thu 19-Apr-18 17:16:20

Go down to the very bottom of a GN page and you should see either 'desktop site' or 'mobile site', which means you can change to that version.
If you click on 'mobile site', or are on it already, you should see the 'v' at the top right of the thread.
This works for me on my hudl and laptop anyway, but don't know about iPad.

I just noticed that Mumsnet has an option on each thread to 'hide this thread' - another useful feature that MN gets but GN can manage without, apparently.

PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Apr-18 13:48:55

I’m on an iPad and I can’t see an inverted v anywhere.

hildajenniJ Tue 10-Apr-18 12:18:29

I like the games threads, they help me unwind in the evenings. I don't get involved in the politics and news threads and find that when I do post anywhere, I'm generally ignored. Nonetheless I continue because I feel quite welcome and at home on Gn.

Marydoll Tue 10-Apr-18 12:02:32

I tried counting how many of us post on the games threads, but lost count at 70, so a fair number who enjoy them.
It's a simple pleasure, which isn't doing anyone harm. They are not nasty or aggressive and a bit of light relief.
I enjoy the friendly banter.

Nelliemoser Tue 10-Apr-18 11:01:02

If you don't like the thread/ game or whatever then don't read it.
It's not clogging up anything.

notoveryet Tue 10-Apr-18 10:05:04

As previous posters have said I do think many are now reluctant to post anything that may end up in Facebook and the like. I was caught with this ( my own fault, I should have realised it could happen) Its nice to have Contact with others and in games are that Contact I don't have a problem.

Elegran Tue 10-Apr-18 10:01:52

If you don't want to start at the beginning of a long conversation and work through all the way to the most recent, you can flip or customise the thread to display the last page first, or to show them as you want.

chocolatepudding Tue 10-Apr-18 09:53:15

Thank you FarNorth for your advice. I have removed all the games from my list and active GransNet is much better!

Charleygirl Mon 09-Apr-18 22:04:43

I also do not like them so I also do not open them. My personal feeling is that 2-3 maybe okay but they appear to have taken over now.

lemongrove Mon 09-Apr-18 21:53:19

Shouldn't all your comments be in alphabetical order???

mcem Mon 09-Apr-18 19:14:28

Flora please scroll back to Farnorth's advice. I did. It really does work.

Floradora9 Mon 09-Apr-18 19:06:29

I find them just a nuisance could they not be on a different thread ? I never look at them and they take up so much space.

NanaandGrampy Sun 08-Apr-18 12:45:43

The local sites were stopped recently Grammaretto so there's not much on there. They decided to just incorporate everything here .

Divawithattitude Sun 08-Apr-18 10:39:44

That is what I meant, they are a relatively new development on Gransnet. I was interested to know how others feel about them, they obviously have a following as they are so popular and go on forever!

joannapiano Thu 05-Apr-18 22:12:06

I don't participate in the Games threads, and I know some people really enjoy them, but there are just so many, now, and seem to be increasing daily.(I always start by clicking on Active).I can't remember there being any Games when GN first started.

callgirl1 Thu 05-Apr-18 20:40:38

Shows how thick I am, I never even noticed there was a dedicated Games section, lol! And I`ve never clicked on Active either, I just go to the things that might interest me.

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Apr-18 09:58:17

Don’t go to the games threads if you don’t want to be part of them! ?
I pop in now and again and find them quite enjoyable. Threads I don’t like, I don’t go to. Simples!

FarNorth Thu 05-Apr-18 08:59:34

A lot of them just want posts in alphabetical order, on a title that's in the topic. But when people get the order wrong, or posts cross, it looks confusing.
Most that I've seen do say in the first post what's going on.

yggdrasil Thu 05-Apr-18 08:46:51

All the games threads I have seen seem to assume you know how they are played. They might be fun, but who can tell without instructions :-)

mcem Thu 05-Apr-18 08:44:47

I took farnorth 's advice and it works beautifully. As each new game appears I hide it.
Game-free zone!

Grammaretto Thu 05-Apr-18 08:24:12

Thanks for bringing this up. It is reassuring to know I'm not the only one who feels like this. I like doing crosswords in real life and I play scrabble online but I have never opened a game thread. I have never played Bingo either. Do people still do that?

I am new to gransnet but I'm already beginning to think it isn't for me.
There are some fascinating and absorbing threads but it takes hours to read through as there are hundreds of replies. I have sure learned things though but don't feel I have interacted yet. It's a bit like walking into a very crowded room.

Glad to hear bikergran, that it was a support for you.

Are the local threads private? Do you have to join? I glanced at my local thread hoping it might be smaller but it looks too scanty with, in the past month, one deleted advertisement and a question on local information which I would think very easy to google or visit the library but maybe it was someone reaching out!

bikergran Thu 05-Apr-18 07:20:42

I think games are one of those things that once you get into them they become addictive..I don't bother opening them so ive no idea if conversations go on in there or just the game play.

I think GN has changed so much now over the yrs lots of posters have dissapeared, I for one am now very guarded as to what I put on her, its a shame as now people who really wanted to pour their heart out and seek advice and help are now restrained in a way.

I am one of those that gnetters helped me when I was bereaved..they were all so supporting.

I still pop in and post odd things and still like my little fix of GN smile

Gerispringer Thu 05-Apr-18 07:18:05

It’s not a problem, but there were about 15 of them in the active list and if you aren’t interested in them that’s quite a high %. If there were 15 different threads about knitting in the active list you might find it tedious scrolling through them, it easy to hide them so your active list has more of the chats and discussions or whatever it is you are interested in. If you are happy with them that’s fine.

Marmight Thu 05-Apr-18 07:05:52

Well, I dont like knitting or politics or come to that quite a few other subjects, so I don't bother to look at those threads! I find 'Games' relaxing and some of them keep the old grey matter active. Bearing in mind there's a plethora of threads to choose from what's the problem.? hmm