Gransnet forums

AIBU

HAIR TEXTURE CHANGES.

(44 Posts)
Panache Sun 08-Apr-18 09:25:48

Just at an age when expecting my hair to behave I find it is once again the greatest bane in my life!
I had very dark brown, rather greasy lanky hair as a youngster and through the many years in between..........too many to admit to!......I have tried a plethora of cuts,perms,colours and yet never completely satisfied at any one time.I am ashamed to add a small fortune has been spent on this mane of mine!
With my hair well into its snow white soft,downy side now I thought a 4 weekly trim would see me through these latter years with at least a neat and pleasant hair style.
How wrong can you be??!
I have recently developed a curl!!
In fact my hair has a complete mind of its own,the texture has changed and this very definite curl makes my life intolerable............AGAIN!
I have tried various gadgets,conditioners and the rest.....all to no avail.My general health is poor and the fact I can never depend on my hair simply being neat and in some nice style is truly getting me down.
If you have any advice,hints or tips I will listen and be most appreciative..................am even thinking the answer lies in a wig!
One has enough changes to deal with as we grow older without hair playing "funny beggars!!!"

Patticake123 Sun 08-Apr-18 13:48:02

Oh dear, in my own extensive experience of talking to women, I have yet to meet anyone who is happy with their own hair! I include myself in this. Of course with the wisdom of hindsight, I’d give my eye teeth for the gorgeous locks I had in my youth......

gillyknits Sun 08-Apr-18 13:48:54

When I was younger my hair was really wavy and no matter what I did it stayed that way. I longed for hair like Cilla Black’s but decided it was never to be. I had even tried ironing it under brown paper (not to be recommended!).
I went for a really short style and have kept it short ever since.
As I got older,and blow drying happened, I managed to get it straighter but now I wake up in the morning with curls shooting out at all angles. My hair was coarse before I went grey but now my husband reckons it could be used to mend a fuse. It really if I lie on it the wrong way.
I think hair straighteners are the way to go Panache or embrace the curl and use heated rollers to make it curl the way you want it to.

gummybears Sun 08-Apr-18 13:54:47

Grey hair does indeed have a very different texture sad

After a severe depressive episode followed not too long after by the arrival of a clutch of babies, my natural colour is about 40% grey now sad

Fortunately I have it dyed to hell and back every couple of months since my schooldays so I never have to see too much of it

A helpful and inexpensive comditioning treatment for grey hair is to warm a teaspoon or two (depending on length) of solid coconut oil until it melts and it is warm (not hot!!!) then apply to dry hair for an hour or so. It will take two shampoos to get it out but the effect should be good for about a month. It's safe on coloured hair.

Big tubs of solid coconut oil are in supermarkets now (usually in the world foods section), a tub will cost a couple of quid and last you a year easily for your hair alone. You can also nick a bit out for cooking as and when you need grin

lemongrove Sun 08-Apr-18 15:54:07

Panache heat softens hair, so the advice about heated rollers or straighteners or a hot styling brush is good.Using a conditioner should help as well.
If you can afford a really good wig ( have it styled at the hairdressers) then you could keep it for days when your hair is uncontrollable and you are going somewhere.A friend does this, her hair (wig) always looks marvellous and so natural that nobody would know.

Totallylost Sun 08-Apr-18 15:59:16

A Dyson hairdryer , theyre not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but has worked wonders on my hair, I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner , but the Dyson has made a huge difference, I don't even need to wash hair daily any more

M0nica Sun 08-Apr-18 16:58:26

I have dead straight hair, but about 20 years ago I got very severe eczema in my hair. I had a short style and the hair on the top of my head not only went all curly but lightened considerably. DH accurately, but depressingly told me I looked like a coconut, with short red curly hair atop a head of hair otherwise dark brown and straight.

Thankfully as the eczema cleared and the hair regrew it returned to dark brown and straight.

I would second the recommendation of Moroccan Argan Oil for fine flyaway hair.

hapgran Sun 08-Apr-18 17:13:25

I have recently taken the plunge and gone grey. I have very short hair so it didn't take long. I find 'White Hot Hair website has some good products....

HillyN Sun 08-Apr-18 17:41:02

I'm in the process of 'going grey'. I've been dyeing my hair lighter and lighter (mid brown to light blonde) and now just letting the blonde grow out.
I too have a kink in my hair at the temple on my right side which even my DD's GHDs won't flatten. High humidity is disastrous; my GC were most amused when I took them swimming and my hair stuck out in all directions.

Greengage Sun 08-Apr-18 18:05:52

Started with blond big loose curls then it went to fairly straight but with kinks, and was mousey which one kind hairdresser called ash blond! Always been very fine and now is white and thinning fast. To give it body, I hang my head upside down when blow drying. It vaguely works!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 08-Apr-18 18:18:46

My hair has, strangely, seemed straighter and better behaved since I had chemo three years ago, after an initial very dry and out of control phase just after it grew back. I also hankered after straight sleek hair as a teenager.
I've always thought that a layered style is very flattering, you can flick the edges if you wish and it can be multi-directional so a little untidiness can be very chic. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Grandmama Sun 08-Apr-18 19:17:30

Lots of people have envied my curly hair but it was the bane of my life in my teens when all I wanted was long, straight hair. For many years I had a hairdresser who knew exactly how to cut it but after she retired many, many years ago I haven't found anyone with her skill. I'm not entirely happy with the hairdresser I have now had for a long time. I don't have a hairdryer. I wash, condition and massage in FrizzEase and leave it to dry naturally and for about 24 hours it looks reasonably relaxed and soft. After that even the slightest breeze or humidity makes it frizzy. It's also thick, going grey (at last, I thought it never would) and now I'm waiting for it to be long enough to pin up to save bother (although I've been told it's a waste of curls to pin it up).

Barmeyoldbat Sun 08-Apr-18 20:45:01

I have white hair that will curl if it gets just a little bit to long. So I have it layered cut very short and just have to wash and leave it. It means having it cut every 4 weeks, leave it any longer And Istart to look like Brian May

Rosiebee Mon 09-Apr-18 07:15:14

As I have got older and greyer, my previously straight hair has developed a wave/kink. It's a graduated bob which I can usually manage quite well with straighteners. BUT problem is when weather is hot here or worse humid abroad. Just been looking through holiday photos from Thailand. confused Feel as though I should have worn a bag over my head. Hair is limp, kinked and looks so thin. Fringe looks like string. Wonderful holiday but thinking of going somewhere cold next. Mind you a woolly hat has same effect. Might have to try a staycation or lose the camerasmile.

micmc47 Mon 09-Apr-18 08:04:56

Many of the comments on here make amusing reading. Some with curls want straight hair, and some vice versa. As for me, I'd be grateful for hair of any description. It just goes to show that we're a funny bunch. Never satisfied with what we have, and often thinking that the grass is greener somewhere else. The human condition... :-)

Panache Mon 09-Apr-18 08:38:28

I have certainly not only raised a few laughs with this thread but it has proved how almost obsessed we ladies are with our manes,be it not only as youngsters but right through to the grey and white years!
It has made interesting reading and may I thank you all for your contributions and words of advice,I have every intention of reading up on all the various products you have mentioned, whilst regarding the GHD straighteners and Dyson hairdryier,these I shall put on my "hopeful" gift lists!
I still toss with the idea of a wig, but quite frankly would much prefer adopting and staying with the “au naturelle” look.
My first port of call is perhaps another hairdresser to have an honest appraisal, because perhaps the best idea is to return to my ultra short gamin hairstyle...........if the soft now white hair and my weight loss (of almost 4 stone) allows.
I shall be back to keep you all updated and who knows,I might set up a completely new trend!!

newnanny Mon 09-Apr-18 16:50:45

I colour my very long hair every 5-6 weeks. I hate seeing a grey bit show. I keep it in a pony tail or bun much of the time but leave it loose to go out in evening. If it was not coloured I believe it would be mostly all grey by now. But I am vain. I am always envious of people with wavy hair as I have spent all my life curling mine when I go out in evenings. If you don't like curls you could try straightening irons or have it cut even shorter. I use a hot oil conditioner every week to give it body and shine. I have noticed grey hair is more wiry so I keep it well conditioned.

Mercedes55 Mon 09-Apr-18 17:16:45

I also hate my hair, I have a double crown and I always end up with a parting down the back of my head, which I think looks awful.

I'd be careful about anyone with fine hair using GHD straighteners, they are very good but also very hot and mine were breaking my fine hair and it was only when my hairdresser asked me if I was using straighteners that I realised how much damage I was doing to my hair.

I have found using a silk pillowcase stops hair getting all tangled up at night too.

M0nica Mon 09-Apr-18 18:04:56

I love my hair. It is thick and dark and straight. What's not to like? I will continue to keep it its original colour as long as feasible, which should be some years yet because, while greying round the edges, I still have no roots problem along my parting. My roots match my hair colourant.