Gransnet forums

AIBU

Uniforms...........l ove `em or hate `em?!

(78 Posts)
Panache Mon 09-Apr-18 09:36:57

Uniforms,do you like them or perhaps even hate them?
I am not thinking of the three services by the way, but those garments many of us will have stuck with religiously during our work periods.But then on returning home on evenings and weekends the huge sigh of relief when discarding the usual “clobber” and donning whatever makes us the most comfortable.

What does the term “work uniform” mean to you?

For me as a Nurse a uniform was strict and in my time I have to say it looked the part,attractive,authoritative and highly professional.
It started as a grey pinstripe dress with starched collar,cuffs,apron and frilly cap together with black nylons and shoes.Hair had to be short or kept up away from the face,no jewellery or make up allowed.Later on I wore a denim blue dress with the rest remaining much the same.
A far cry from the somewhat sloppy but more comfy theatre “scrubs” most Nurses wear today, whilst anything goes regarding footwear and even make up and minimum jewellery seems allowed.Certainly the trousers now part of the nurses “uniform” not only saves on those darned nylons, but are a far more practical garment for the work they are required to do.
Whilst back in my day the uniform was worn only on the wards or place of work, and never whilst visiting the Supermarket or hopping on and off a `bus!

Probably one of the main causes in the rise of these bugs.

Quite frankly I loved my uniform and felt very much the part whilst fully dressed ready to meet another challenging day................but still so great to change into one`s own clothes to thoroughly relax in at home.
Can`t beat those "onesies!!".............or similar.I think perhaps leggings and tunics allow for great relaxation.

annodomini Thu 12-Apr-18 11:24:46

My school was not strict about uniform except on special occasions like prizegivings. When I went to Brownies and Guides I loved being in uniform and was strict with myself about polishing badges and so forth. When the management of the FE college where I worked breathed the words 'dress code', there was instant uproar and it was never broached again. In my first job, in a traditionally minded semi-independent school, we all wore black academic gowns which covered a multitude of sartorial sins.

gagsy Thu 12-Apr-18 22:11:35

I loved my school uniform - very proud of it. I then regained as a Physio, so again uniform. I enjoy wearing it and am proud of that too! However, in my training days the rules were very strict and you know what, none of us minded at all!