Gransnet forums

AIBU

to ask why several prominent members seem to have vanished?!?

(568 Posts)
jura2 Mon 09-Apr-18 16:44:10

Could anyone help here - some long serving and very interesting members seem to have just vanished. How did that happen. DJ, GGMK2 and WW. Where? and Why?

Iam64 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:47:23

I've read the article, thanks janeainsworth-it certainly was longwinded and laboured the points but they were points that we need to discuss, rather than simply reject.
The reminder that those who claim for example, not "to see colour" was well made.

Baggs Tue 24-Apr-18 20:13:25

I agree that some of the points need discussion but I don't think the discussions should be approached from the assumed victimhood angle that the article seems to take—the apparent assumption that all 'minority' people are marginalised, for instance.

We had two Ugandan friends in Oxford. One was always complaining about prejudice; the other said he'd never felt any at all. We thought maybe this had more to do with their personalities than any actuality.

Day6 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:26:48

Also guilty of having an Afro in the '70s! Mine was blonde, so daft on all counts. It was the fashion. I blame Kevin Keegan. grin My son got his hair dread-locked as a teenager. The African hairdressers who did it and maintained it for him also preached the scriptures to him. They seemed to think he was a 'good boy'. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:30:05

Mine went wrong and I had it all chopped off like this:

Was I guilty of appropriating a hairstyle from another galaxy? oops.

Iam64 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:51:57

Wow Jalima1108, cracking hair cut, great outfit. Where are you off to?

Marydoll Tue 24-Apr-18 21:16:25

Wow, Jalima, you are stunning! ☺️

petra Tue 24-Apr-18 22:32:15

jalima
Did anyone ever tell you your a dead ringer of the actress in Blake 7, Jacqueline Pearce grin

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 09:18:27

Servalan! I remember it well, I once met Blake in a supermarket in Surrey, he said how cute my DD ( toddler) was, and I came over all blushy! blush

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 09:19:02

That was about 39 years ago.

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 09:26:36

Sadly, only the hair style was the same, the eyelashes are nothing like hers grin
Nor did I have an embroidered white satin dress or jumpsuit although they must have been fashionable because Elvis had one as well.

Agus Wed 25-Apr-18 11:30:49

As a newly turned teenager, all of 13, I begged and begged my mother to let me have my long, straight as a poker, hair permed. I was taken to a hairdresser in town, had some terrible stinky lotion applied then attached to a contraption whereby cables hung from a metal hood and my hair was rolled onto the metal curlers at the end of the cables.

My mother had made her point that I wouldn’t find this a pleasant experience as I sat thinking, this is barbaric! When I was finally set free, the hairdo was a bloody disaster which thankfully straighten out in time?

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:17:03

Agus - when I was in my late 20s my hair was medium length and I decided to have a perm - but no-one said it was not a good idea to have your hair permed when you're pregnant. The result was a terrible frizzy mess and it started breaking off shock

Agus Wed 25-Apr-18 12:39:03

A hard lesson learned by both of us Jalima? but a bit of a nightmare you could have done without during pregnancy.

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 12:53:28

Yes, had to have it all chopped off short and have never had another perm since!
Unfortunately, my hair is not straight as a poker either.

How did we get on to this?
And where is jura?

Atqui Wed 25-Apr-18 15:01:37

Perhaps she got fed up with the thread having nothing to do with her original post any more. We could have had a new thread entitled Hairsyles I have had !

Fennel Wed 25-Apr-18 15:08:45

I had a perm in my 30s, which also ended up a frizzy mess and had to be cut off. After which I grew it again and had a 'french pleat'.
Do you remember home perms?

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 16:13:32

You look very good Janeainsworth tanned and big haired like a cast member from Hair.??

Atqui Wed 25-Apr-18 16:23:10

Luckylegs Tue 24-Apr-18 15:54:27
There's your answer !

janeainsworth Wed 25-Apr-18 16:42:37

lemon shockgrin
atqui I’m confused

Chewbacca Wed 25-Apr-18 18:21:18

I'll try to post a photo of the perm I had in 1978 to give you a giggle. My hair was down to my shoulders and it was very straight, thick and heavy. The perm left my hair dead straight from a centre parting and then ballooned into a mass of corkscrew curls at my ears. I looked like a spaniel for weeks.

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 18:24:54

Do you remember home perms?
My dad used to do mine before I left home and a very good job he made of them too, especially considering he was an engineer and not a hairdresser!

Day6 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:17:57

I tried a home perm on my Mum once and she was very pleased with the result. That made me brave so I permed my own! It took forever with all that solution, tiny rollers and bits of paper. I managed it though and it wasn't bad! (It's a good job curly hair was fashionable.) I am a bit gung-ho about my hair. If it gets on my nerves I take the scissors to it! So far so good. No disasters! (My children think I am daft!)

To get back to the thread title, perhaps the departed posters will come back in disguise - maybe wearing wigs? grin

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:40:19

My mum went to the hairdresser's for her perms and a 'shampoo and set' every week for years, and I used to get taken there to have mine cut when I was a child. After she was ill either I or my sister-IL washed and set her hair and sometimes I cut it for her too. I could set my mum's hair in rollers with my eyes shut because she had the same style as long back as I could remember. Just like the Queen's. smile

Bathsheba Thu 26-Apr-18 12:32:02

When I was 18 and working in London there was a new type of perm, all the rage, called a demi-wave. It gave your hair soft bouncy curls and looked very natural. I rang my local hairdresser and asked if they could do it. They'd never heard of it, so I described it and they said Oh yes, I know what you mean. I stupidly booked an appointment. I mean, honestly, what was I thinking? It was obvious they had no clue what a demi-wave perm was. I came out with what I could only describe as a granny perm, so embarrassing blush.
When I got home I dashed straight upstairs, locked myself in the bathroom, and cut it all off - my hair was about half an inch all over. But it was either that or give up my job/friends/boyfriend and live like a recluse till it grew out grin

Atqui Fri 27-Apr-18 13:55:17

Janeainsworth. Sorry if I caused confusion grin . Luckylegs asked "Are all the pages like those, political pointless arguing to and fro about racism etc? Please tell me they aren't!"
So I was just pointing out that the thread had morphed into a discussion on hairstyles we have known!!